E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Weird Error Message - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
Weird Error Message - Help

I was driving today when all electronic lights started blinking, the heat came out of the vent less aggressively, and this error came up. But then it went away...

Any idea what this means? is it battery related?

Thanks,
PetePap
Attached Thumbnails Weird Error Message - Help-photo.jpg  
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
This consumer issue error has been discussed numerous times. Unplug the coffee pot, the razer, etc and you'll be fine. MBs don't like to have household appliances plugged into them.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by PetePap
I was driving today when all electronic lights started blinking, the heat came out of the vent less aggressively, and this error came up. But then it went away...

Any idea what this means? is it battery related?

Thanks,
PetePap
I can't say for sure, but if you have a voltage problem it could induce surges in the electrical system. This could be voltage regulator, alternator or battery. Why not take it in and let the dealer check for error codes.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
If it came in the middle of driving (and you don't have any massive audio amps at full power), it sounds like the issues on early W203 cars that were fixed by recalls. Battery charging SW, voltage regulator etc.

Make sure the recall items have been done. Perhaps a "normal" alternator/regulator ware issue if the recall stuff has been completed.

This would not be strange when first starting the car, specifically if it had not been used for some time or if a lot of consumers were in use but it should not come during normal driving.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If it came in the middle of driving (and you don't have any massive audio amps at full power), it sounds like the issues on early W203 cars that were fixed by recalls. Battery charging SW, voltage regulator etc.

Make sure the recall items have been done. Perhaps a "normal" alternator/regulator ware issue if the recall stuff has been completed.

This would not be strange when first starting the car, specifically if it had not been used for some time or if a lot of consumers were in use but it should not come during normal driving.
Thanks for the input. It was about 5 degrees outside, and the car was left outside overnight. I started it, had the heat on high, the heated steering wheel on, both heated seats on, the defrost for the rear window, and the radio on. You think it was because I had all those components on at once, and did not let the car warm up? The message came on about 10 minutes after I started the car. It hasn't come on again, but I also haven't had all those devices working at once either....

PetePap
Old 12-07-2007, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PetePap
Thanks for the input. It was about 5 degrees outside, and the car was left outside overnight. I started it, had the heat on high, the heated steering wheel on, both heated seats on, the defrost for the rear window, and the radio on. You think it was because I had all those components on at once, and did not let the car warm up? The message came on about 10 minutes after I started the car. It hasn't come on again, but I also haven't had all those devices working at once either....

PetePap
Case closed. All those heating elements draw so much power that the car would have difficulties producing that, specifically at idle or low engine RPM, and the cold battery would not help. Nothing bad using all the devices at once, the car takes care of switching them off if necessary. The car just needs to be driven enough after this to make the battery reach full charge.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 AM

'03 E500 Sport
Case closed. All those heating elements draw so much power that the car would have difficulties producing that, specifically at idle or low engine RPM, and the cold battery would not help. Nothing bad using all the devices at once, the car takes care of switching them off if necessary. The car just needs to be driven enough after this to make the battery reach full charge.
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Not so certain about this reply. I use all of the items mentioned and then some every day in the winter, even in the coldest weather I have never received this warning. My thoughts are that one of your batteries is becoming marginal. I would have this checked out before you are stranded somewhere.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
Not so certain about this reply. I use all of the items mentioned and then some every day in the winter, even in the coldest weather I have never received this warning. My thoughts are that one of your batteries is becoming marginal. I would have this checked out before you are stranded somewhere.
If the car is running, the battery would only be an issue if the alternator does not provide the electricity the consumers spend. If this is the case, it would happen with a new battery too, just takes a bit more time.

But I believe you are right that the battery could be weak if the warning comes earlier than it should. Battery test would be the best thing to find out.

Another option would be a dying alternator that does not supply enough current but wouldn't that be more of a permanent issue?

Still, the convenience functions shut off message does not automatically mean an issue with the car. And it is pretty difficult to figure out if it comes "too soon".

PS. above I should have referred to early 2003 or early W211 cars, not W203.