E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Steering Wheel Vibrating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Steering Wheel Vibrating

I bought my E500 2 weeks ago, and had noticed a vibration in the wheel. They said they'd take care of it. Date of purchase, I test drove her, but due to traffic, could not get her to speed (~60 mph), and there was no vibration. As traffic cleared up, getting closer to home, I noticed the vibration was still there.

So today, I took the car in (don't drive her in snow/rain), and they said they need to replace both front wheels. (AMG 18" package).

I thought it a little weird - balancing I could understand, but replacement of both wheels? I guess a bent rim would cause vibration? They both looked good to me. (Outer rim)

Also, I hear a very low clicking sound from the front seats every 10 seconds. Its annoying as anything, but the SA said that's normal for dynamic seats.

Any thoughts/comments? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320
Is sounds to me that it's a balancing problem if the wheels are in good conditions. Take it in somewhere to get a second opinion maybe the shop is just trying to get some money of you, which if that's the case GET AWAY FROM THAT PLACE. It's a bad business shop. As the seat noises look on the forum i think that in the last 3 pages somebody post it the same problem and the dealership found what the problem was which I can't recall. But Good luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If you don't have staggered wheels, move the fronts to the rear... that will let you know if the wheels are bad.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Tks. for the replies.

<<maybe the shop is just trying to get some money of you>>

well they won't. I've got emails from date of purchase that this vibration existed, and its also on my receipt when I bought the car - "check balance/shimmy". If it gets nasty, I'll take my car elsewhere and MBUSA will be notified, but lets see what happens tomorrow.

<<If you don't have staggered wheels, move the fronts to the rear... that will let you know if the wheels are bad.>>

Tks. but no go. I've got the AMG package (staggered wheels incl.).
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM

LS7 powered Corvette
The wheels will rarely be visibly bent on the exterior edge. With the spokes that close to the outer edge it is much more rigid in that area. The wheels will 9/10 be bent on the inside where you can not see. The tire will still seat properly on the wheel, and it may even check out in a road force balance...

Someone once told me, "you can balance a square, but it won't roll very well."
Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Tks again. How the heck do they certify these cars? The vibration is evident @ 60mph...
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by csumt76
The wheels will rarely be visibly bent on the exterior edge. With the spokes that close to the outer edge it is much more rigid in that area. The wheels will 9/10 be bent on the inside where you can not see. The tire will still seat properly on the wheel, and it may even check out in a road force balance...

Someone once told me, "you can balance a square, but it won't roll very well."
I'd have to agree. I had to replace a wheel due to a steering wheel vibration. The dealer 1st balanced my wheel, then said I had to replace it. I looked all over the returned wheel for visible damage but couldn't find any, yet replacing the wheel solved the problem.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Well MB returned my RWD E500 today. They replaced both front wheels - No charge. I was impressed with their professional service and am very pleased. The SA showed me the bill (18" AMG), @ $785 each plus balancing/mounting...

But just like last time, I could not really test drive her going home (this time due to snow/sleet). Now my car is dirty!! BUT, I was impressed with the way she handled (I have the staggered low profile AMG package). She slipped a little, but ESP kicked in. Hopefully this Sat. (before our second NY storm arrives, I'll test drive her).

My only disappointment is that the SA said the constant "clicking" of my seats is normal due to the dynamic/massage option. Its a very soft clicking, but occurs every 10 seconds or so. I'll look for the TSB on this forum, and email it to him.

csumt76 - seems like you were right about the rims. No surprise there

Thanks all for your help.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by gnma
My only disappointment is that the SA said the constant "clicking" of my seats is normal due to the dynamic/massage option. Its a very soft clicking, but occurs every 10 seconds or so.
Inflation or deflation of the air cushions “without cause” can sometimes be corrected by updating the control module software for the dynamic multi-contour seats.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Inflation or deflation of the air cushions “without cause” can sometimes be corrected by updating the control module software for the dynamic multi-contour seats.
Konigstiger, they don't feel like they are inflating/deflating. Just a very faint click on the passenger, followed by the same click on the driver side. Is this related to the "chair rail" TSB? If not, if I mention to the SA that the "control module software needs updating for the dynamic seats", will he know what language I'm speaking? (I guess its a STAR thing?).

As always, thank you for your never-ending help.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 AM

After Thursdays snow/sleet fall I was able to get the car upto highway speed last Friday and over the weekend, but unfortunately the vibration is still there despite 2 front new rims.

Have an appt. with MB this Fri. Will keep you posted.....
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 AM

2003 E500 Sport, 1995 SL320
perhaps wheel bearings?

my 03 e500 has the same vibration you describe... i had all 4 tires checked, balanced, and rotated to no avail.

my (as well as my dad's) next guess is the wheel bearings

fyi my car has 90k mi... i dont know the milage on yours, or about how long these things are meant to last on these cars.

keep us posted
Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by E500 Benzo
perhaps wheel bearings?

my 03 e500 has the same vibration you describe... i had all 4 tires checked, balanced, and rotated to no avail.

my (as well as my dad's) next guess is the wheel bearings

fyi my car has 90k mi... i dont know the milage on yours, or about how long these things are meant to last on these cars.

keep us posted
Sorry, I bought the car 3 weeks ago, '05 E500 with 32K. If they balanced the rims, and tires ck. out fine, then I too am beginning to think about suspension components. Konigstiger has sent me detailed info. about what the dealer should do, but I think right now, let I'll let them take care of it their way, in case I come across as being a smart ***. If the problem persists, then I'll show them Kongistiger's recommendations, which I'm sure is the way to go.

ALSO told them about a "whooving" sound I hear occassionally when I release the brake pedal. Lasts for about 3 seconds....

ALSO, G/F noted the passenger sun visor glass is shattered....

I'm just surprised how this car passed "CPO" inspection.

She runs/looks great and power is awesome, but that "rigourous 150 pt. inspection" the MB website brags about....

Thank you all for your help, will keep you posted.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
17 E43, 10 E5504M
ALSO told them about a "whooving" sound I hear occassionally when I release the brake pedal. Lasts for about 3 seconds....

That could be the SBC pump cycling or releasing pressure, we all had it and I am used to it now.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:26 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 1995 SL320

i get that too... another reason i suspect either the bearing, or even warped rotor?

any one else experience either of the two? i know Benz-O-Rama has had more than his fair share of warped rotors... maybe he can chime in on if he felt / heard what you are hearing/ feeling
Old 12-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Got the car back today.

They said "no problem found" on the vibration, and the foreman went with me for a spin - there was no vibration. I drove her home, and she was good. I still don't get it, car went in with vibration, car comes out w/o vibration, but service did nothing (or did they)?....

As for the occasional wooving 3 sec. sound, he expl. its the SBC pump, and that its normal. Good thing is that's exactly what they wrote on my no-charge receipt. So at least I have everything documented.

They did replace the PS reservoir and O-ring, bec. they noted a leak. OMG!!?? They also bled the system. I doubt if that caused the vibration, but I took the car in for one thing, and something else was wrong. At least its all covered by warranty, and they did catch/fix this too.

So, after 28 days of my first MB, I've rec'd 2 brand new AMG 18" rims (they tried to repair my old rims, but couldn't), and had the PS reservoir/gasket/fluid.

So hopefully on this Christmas Eve, I'll take her out for a nice spin and enjoy the MB for what it is w/o the vibration.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Got the car back today.

They said "no problem found" on the vibration, and the foreman went with me for a spin - there was no vibration. I drove her home, and she was good. I still don't get it, car went in with vibration, car comes out w/o vibration, but service did nothing (or did they)?....

As for the occasional wooving 3 sec. sound, he expl. its the SBC pump, and that its normal. Good thing is that's exactly what they wrote on my no-charge receipt. So at least I have everything documented.

They did replace the PS reservoir and O-ring, bec. they noted a leak. OMG!!?? They also bled the system. I doubt if that caused the vibration, but I took the car in for one thing, and something else was wrong. At least its all covered by warranty, and they did catch/fix this too.

So, after 28 days of my first MB, I've rec'd 2 brand new AMG 18" rims (they tried to repair my old rims, but couldn't), and had the PS reservoir/gasket/fluid.

So hopefully on this Christmas Eve, I'll take her out for a nice spin and enjoy the MB for what it is w/o the vibration.

More than likely they didn't find a leak, but are billing for additional warranty money from MB. Don't sweat it.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

2005 E320
Konigstiger, they don't feel like they are inflating/deflating. Just a very faint click on the passenger, followed by the same click on the driver side. Is this related to the "chair rail" TSB? If not, if I mention to the SA that the "control module software needs updating for the dynamic seats", will he know what language I'm speaking? (I guess its a STAR thing?).

As always, thank you for your never-ending help.
Hey GNMA...did your service dept. ever tell you what was causing the clicking noise? I hear the same thing in my '05 E320; however, like you, I do not feel the seats inflating/deflating when the clicking occurs.

Hey Konigstiger...is there a TSB that addresses this "clicking" problem?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM

2010 E63
Got the car back today.

Sometimes the vibration is caused by flat spots on the tire...esp if the car has been sitting on the dealer's lot. Once you get the car moving, the tires most likely rounded out...thus making the vibration disappear. Happened to my wife's A6.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jkv11503
Hey GNMA...did your service dept. ever tell you what was causing the clicking noise? I hear the same thing in my '05 E320; however, like you, I do not feel the seats inflating/deflating when the clicking occurs.

Hey Konigstiger...is there a TSB that addresses this "clicking" problem?

Thanks.
They said the noise is normal. I know u're taking your car in soon, so you may want to ask them to perform Konigstiger's recommendations. I'm sure MB would not make a product which clicks EVERY few seconds, even though it is a soft clicking. Let us know and good luck!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM

2005 E320
They said the noise is normal. I know u're taking your car in soon, so you may want to ask them to perform Konigstiger's recommendations. I'm sure MB would not make a product which clicks EVERY few seconds, even though it is a soft clicking. Let us know and good luck!
In your earlier post (#13 above) you said that Konigstiger sent you detailed information regarding the clicking problem. Would you mind sharing that information with me? You can post it here or PM/Email me...whichever is easiest for you. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 AM

MTA
where are you located in ny>?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jkv11503
In your earlier post (#13 above) you said that Konigstiger sent you detailed information regarding the clicking problem. Would you mind sharing that information with me? You can post it here or PM/Email me...whichever is easiest for you. Thanks.
This info. is from Konigstiger, who is an incredible asset to the MB community:

> Request they perform a quick test for seat fault codes, check the system
> for leaks, and flash the dynamic and/or multi-contour control modules
> and dynamic pump through Star Diagnosis.

I didn't ask them bec. anytime they say "normal condition" I interpret that to be they are ignorant, or don't care. Anyone recommend a "good" MB dealership in LI, NY?

Good luck to you jkv - keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Huntington has a good reputation I hear, but I have been very well taken care of by MB Massapequa, and that's where I go. As anywhere, it all depends on your SA. If he's a "Car Guy" like most of us are then you're in good shape... if he's just an order taker who takes your carefully thought out description of exactly whats wrong and reduces it to "Customer States: Check for clicking sound", you're dead meat.

A good SA will also make sure the proper Tech will get your car to work on. The Techs are not all the same grade.