E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SRS and Teleaid Malfunction in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Jim, by any chance are you an employee of MB? kinds of sounds like it. Wish you the best of luck with yours.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:37 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by jim256
If there is nothing wrong with a module, why recall it? The car has extensive diagnostics which are identifying the failure, and the anecdotal evidence here seems to suggest that the module fails early in the car's life, as most electronics are prone to do. If they are having a problem supplying the ones giving failure signals, why create demand for a part that is in short supply and replace "recalled modules" which are operating OK while other folks with failed modules are without their cars? It seems that MB is dealing with an unexpected computer glitch on some cars and attempting to satisfy customers inconvenienced by a parts supply issue. 'Just my opinion.
Makes sense. I've had no problem with it and many others on this forum have had no problems too. The problem may not be as wide spread as it may seem here.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:31 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
griffen99: No, not affiliated with any car dealers, early retirement from banking 10 years ago, nothing since, but I have made a "career" of buying new cars early in their cycle. Any new model will have a few "bugs" and as an early adopter I expect it. I was one of the first SRS/TeleAid repairs (Oct 7) and it was an overnight deal, had the car the next day at 5 pm and had a MB loaner without even asking. I am now a steady repeater with my dealer ('98 E, '01 C, '03E), as are many here, and the service has kept me with them as much as the vehicle.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
It's worth noting, so we don't forget, that some of us simply got good service: Overnight replacement of the Gateway Control Module with a MB loaner, and I didn't have to ask for anything or write, or call!
...Any new model will have a few "bugs" and as an early adopter I expect it. I was one of the first SRS/TeleAid repairs (Oct 7) ....
I agree with you. If my car took 1 day or even 2 days to fix, I would not have asked for anything. I don't think it is right to ask in that situation. Consider yourself lucky. Plus you got a MB loaner - which my dealer does not do.

New cars are bound to have problems in their first year - especially when so much has changed internally. I am a programmer myself and fully understand computer glitches. My problem with MB is that they should have anticipated this problem in other cars. Keeping my car for 13 days and yours for 1 day is not fair. Once they found a fix to the problem (presumably before Oct 7 - since your car was fixed then with the new part) they should have asked their supplier to work longer hours to produce enough new parts for the new cars they were building and the ones that would go bad. This is basic crisis management 101.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:50 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
Honestly, I would rather have my car back within a day. I don't really care much for the freebies stuff, but I just want MB to know that it is not acceptable to me to have my car in their service shop for weeks !!!! I paid too much money for the car, and I would rather drive it (That's why I got it in the first place).

Day 10th and still counting. I still don't know whether or not they will have the part to fix my car before Christmas. I am really disappointed in the way MB handle this particular situation. They should work harder to manage the part shortage.

Like ashahashah said, this is "crisis management 101".

Old 12-16-2002, 09:53 AM

E320, Lexus RX 300, Nissan Xterra
Re: SRS E500

Originally posted by griffen99
... And to make things worse, they wont give a loaner car until after 3 weeks have passed. ABSOLUTE B.S. . I know that in CA, if a car is out of service for 30 days, then it is eligble for the Lemon Law, maybe they are trying to avoid taking the car back. I just want to be able to drive car knowing that it is SAFE.

jm
Mine is now two weeks in the shop. Fortunately, I got an ML320 as a courtesy car 3 minutes after dropping mine off.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: Re: SRS E500

Originally posted by Kassav
Mine is now two weeks in the shop. Fortunately, I got an ML320 as a courtesy car 3 minutes after dropping mine off.
So, Kassav, what are you getting/asking for your inconvenience?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
That was quick

That was quick. I dropped off my bucket for the dual malfunction on Thursday, and got it back tonight (Tuesday). They had it for five days and they replaced both modules (SRS and tele-aid) and replaced the one for the easy entry/exit feature which was also not working (no malfunction message though).

I did not request anything special because of how tickled to death I was to not have my hot new sled in the shop for weeks on end.

EDJ
Old 12-17-2002, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Got my wood wheel installed

I finally got my wood wheel installed today - no charge as they promised. It looks fantastic.

Hey, EDJ, what was wrong with the easy entry/exit feature? How does it work anyway?
Old 12-18-2002, 12:30 AM

2013 S550
I got hit with the Tele-Aid/SRS malfunction as I drove home from the office earlier tonight. I seem to be logging in every malfunction the E500 is capable of!

My service advisor is sympathetic, especially since I had that 28-day stretch in the shop (plus the half-day to get the Keyless Go amplifier). (Let's don't talk about the fact I paid for the car on 9/28 and it set in the VPC from 9/25 until I got it on 10/21!) Anyway, I caught him just before he left tonight and he asked me to drop it off at 7 AM tomorrow. He said he just needed it long enough to verify the problem and order the part (if not in stock). I can have it back until the part comes in. He's been real good about not making me go through the appointment thing, but I think it's because I can do without a loaner for a day if I don't have to see clients out of the office. The dealership is only 2-3 miles from the office, so it's pretty convenient.

Anyway, with all this talk of folks getting some compensation from MBUSA, I'm thinking of writing a letter myself. Is it better to ask for something specific in the way of compensation, or just detail out my concerns and see if they offer anything? (Heck, paying for a car for 2 months when you don't have it ought to be worth something -- although I did have loaner MB during both those periods...)
Old 12-18-2002, 12:55 AM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
ctouhey, I don't know why your service advisor let you take the car. It is a liability issues. I think that after you report the car's safety issue, the dealer has to keep your car and provide you a loaner.

It has been 14 days for me now since I brought my car in to fix the SRS problem. I still don't know what is going on at this point. I just called Mercedes Customer Service Center and spoke to a rep about my entire unpleasant experience with the car. Be awared, you may have to wait for a long time before someone answer you. In my case, I called about 8 P.M. Pacific time I was on hold for 30 minutes. But I determined to talk to somebody so I hold.

Here is the result of my call:

MB documented my complaint and they are going to call my service advisor to investigate the problem. According to this rep, they may help to expedite thing a little bit.

Other than that, nothing else they can do.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 12-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Originally posted by ctouhey
I got hit with the Tele-Aid/SRS malfunction as I drove home from the office earlier tonight. I seem to be logging in every malfunction the E500 is capable of!

My service advisor is sympathetic, especially since I had that 28-day stretch in the shop (plus the half-day to get the Keyless Go amplifier). (Let's don't talk about the fact I paid for the car on 9/28 and it set in the VPC from 9/25 until I got it on 10/21!) Anyway, I caught him just before he left tonight and he asked me to drop it off at 7 AM tomorrow. He said he just needed it long enough to verify the problem and order the part (if not in stock). I can have it back until the part comes in. He's been real good about not making me go through the appointment thing, but I think it's because I can do without a loaner for a day if I don't have to see clients out of the office. The dealership is only 2-3 miles from the office, so it's pretty convenient.

Anyway, with all this talk of folks getting some compensation from MBUSA, I'm thinking of writing a letter myself. Is it better to ask for something specific in the way of compensation, or just detail out my concerns and see if they offer anything? (Heck, paying for a car for 2 months when you don't have it ought to be worth something -- although I did have loaner MB during both those periods...)
ctouhey, you cannot drive the car when that SRS warning light is on. Most likely, the airbags will not deploy in the event of a crash and so you must take it to a dealer and leave it there until it is fixed - that is exactly what the manual says. That is also what my service advisor stated. It is a liability issue for them.

In terms of compensation, I would ask to talk to MBUSA management and detail your problems to them. The more you complain to MBUSA - the more they are likely to do something for you - but my adivce to you is do not bee too rude or too polite - just sound frustrated. You seem to have many options in your car already - maybe you can ask for a complete refund on your DVD Nav system or ask for the extended warranty for free (if you are planning to keep the car for more than 4 years).
Old 12-18-2002, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Re: Got my wood wheel installed

Originally posted by ashahashah

Hey, EDJ, what was wrong with the easy entry/exit feature? How does it work anyway?
It just wasn't working. I'm still not sure that it is, I'll be more observant with it today.

Plus, I had asked for an ashtray liner, and got a whole new ashtray (now I got two), but still no liners, lol.

Oh, and my new 03 E Sport Chromed wheels...they didn't have valve stem covers. Had to ask for that too. Sloppy.

I've spent more time at the dealership's service bay in the 6 weeks I've owned this car, than in the entire 6 years prior with Japanese cars.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:47 AM

2013 S550
On my way to the dealership this morning, the malfunction cleared. Without any fanfare or drum roll...it just changed to "No Malfunction". I was only about a mile away, so I stopped by. My service advisor said they couldn't do anything since there was no malfunction. He did say to just bring it in without calling the next time it happened so they could check it out immediately.

I really do love this car. But, are we sure that MB and Chrysler merged? I'm thinking it was MB and Microsoft. Issue a product full of new features and cutting edge technology, and then spend the next year so issuing fixes and updates. Nothing like owning an E500 Beta release!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:39 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
I just got my E500 back today after 16 days at the shop. The dealer gave me the wood-leather steering wheel and all the trunk accessories for free. I asked for the navigator but the service manager told me that if the car did not come with it, I may not be able to install one. He told me that he would try to get the navigator for me, but he is not sure if they would be able to install it. Anyway, I told him that it's not all the freebies that I want. I just want to send my message to MB that I was not too happy about the way they handle this whole part shortage thing.
Specifically, the situation with my car.

I hope that nothing else is wrong with my car.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:46 PM

So was it worth the 16 days? Wood wheel and trunk accessories. Not bad. Enjoy.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 AM

2012 CLS
SRS warning came back!

Just returned from a trip to Europe with my new E, and despite having the SRS replacement at the pre delivery inspection (and having to wait 10 days, see earlier post), it flashed up at 125 mph on the French autoroute. We had to carry on to catch the ferry back to the UK.

When starting the car from the ferry the malfunction cleared. Now just waiting for it to re-appear. Total miles to date 2300.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320 Obs Black/Ash
Re: SRS warning came back!

Originally posted by marc777
Just returned from a trip to Europe with my new E, and despite having the SRS replacement at the pre delivery inspection (and having to wait 10 days, see earlier post), it flashed up at 125 mph on the French autoroute. We had to carry on to catch the ferry back to the UK.

When starting the car from the ferry the malfunction cleared. Now just waiting for it to re-appear. Total miles to date 2300.
At 125mph it doesn't matter if the airbags deploy or not - no amount of safety features can save you at that speed in any car.

I am not surprised that the warning light came on at that speed and then cleared once you started the car on the ferry.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:01 PM

2012 CLS
Surely not?

I would not have expected that from my 2000 E Class.

We travelled for around 7 hours at 100 mph plus and it was a delight. Despite the SRS this is the best car I have ever had.

The French roads are quiet, straight and their road manners perfect.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by wow
I asked for the navigator but the service manager told me that if the car did not come with it, I may not be able to install one. He told me that he would try to get the navigator for me, but he is not sure if they would be able to install it.

I hope that nothing else is wrong with my car.
I think your service manager must be the only one left in the MB organization that is not aware that the Navigation system can be installed on any new E-series.
That is the why you can have it added later after delivery. He is either unknowledgable or is trying to put you off. You can decide which one it is. I would stay on top of it.

Ed
Old 12-23-2002, 07:09 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
Thanks, I will tell my service advisor that and see what other excuses he comes up with. In any situation, I got my car back and it seems (for the time being) that everything is in working order (knock on wood!!).

After getting my car back, I decided to test out the speed to see if any light or warning would come on. So I did 115 MPH on Highway 680 for about 10 minutes (7:00 A.M. on a Sunday). It was great. The car handled the road very well. I love it.