E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Clicking noise from the back panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW X5 SAV
Clicking noise from the back panel

Hey guys, I tried searching and couldn't find anything... I hear a clicking noise while going over potholes coming from the back panel behind the back headrests. I thought it was coming from the back headrests and I tried to replicate the rattle manually and couldn't. Does anybody know if it's coming from the headrests or the speakers underneath the back panel? It's sorta like a metal on metal or metal on plastic clicking noise and it only happens when going over potholes. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Nobody knows

...the answer?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
its just normal.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Just take it to the dealer and speak with the service advisor. Most likely they will replace the whole panel under warranty, and while they replace it they will probably put something there to stop the rattle/squeak/noise.

Funny thing is when I finally narrowed down where my rattle was coming from the factory warranty ended. Mine is in my passenger side headrest and only when no one is sitting there.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

'13 E550 W4
I have the headrest issue as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by sunkist
Just take it to the dealer and speak with the service advisor. Most likely they will replace the whole panel under warranty, and while they replace it they will probably put something there to stop the rattle/squeak/noise.

Funny thing is when I finally narrowed down where my rattle was coming from the factory warranty ended. Mine is in my passenger side headrest and only when no one is sitting there.
It's not the same issue... My clicking is coming from the back panel behind the back seats. I read somewhere here that a homegrown fix for your problem is to spread the metal polls that connect the headrest to the seat... If you want more info you'll have to search.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by Scambo
I have the headrest issue as well.
Maybe it is normal, but I feel like with some foam I an eliminate that noise and be completely noise free... That's why I'm trying to find an answer. Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Tymah123
Maybe it is normal, but I feel like with some foam I an eliminate that noise and be completely noise free... That's why I'm trying to find an answer. Thanks for your replies.
I would say no noise is acceptable especially with a new vehicle. A noise or rattle would drive me crazy. Why do you not take it to the dealer?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I would say no noise is acceptable especially with a new vehicle. A noise or rattle would drive me crazy. Why do you not take it to the dealer?
I know just what the dealer will say: "Oh, it's normal, all Es do that." And I just spend 1 day out of my week to hear that answer. I know it's nothing serious, just want to isolate the noise and insert the foam in between whatever parts are causing this. Seems a lot quicker and more effective than a trip to a dealer...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Did you check the tools and area around the wheel well?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Did you check the tools and area around the wheel well?
I didn't, I'll check that. But the noise is very pronounced in the cabin -- like it's coming from the back headrests. I think I would be able to distinguish if the tools were rattling but I'll give it a check anyway. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Tymah123
I didn't, I'll check that. But the noise is very pronounced in the cabin -- like it's coming from the back headrests. I think I would be able to distinguish if the tools were rattling but I'll give it a check anyway. Thanks.
Sometimes a second person in the vehicle can assist in locating the noise source too; you need to locate a rotten and nasty stretch of urban road to go over several times if neccessary.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Sometimes a second person in the vehicle can assist in locating the noise source too; you need to locate a rotten and nasty stretch of urban road to go over several times if neccessary.
We have plenty of those here. I tried to make my girlfriend listen to the noise but she says she can't hear it... Maybe it is so minor indeed that a non-driver can't even hear it... Anyways I'll let her listen to it from the back seat. Thank you for the help.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Tymah123 - Everyone else I asked about my passenger headrest rattle gave me the same response as well. Maybe its a driver selfinduced mental rattle .

Seriously though if you dont want to take your time out of a normal work week, just bring the car in when its time for a scheduled service, and talk it out with your service advisor. There really should be no reason for them to not look for it and fix it. I've done it to my E almost everytime I heard something but now I'm out of factory warranty and cant get it done.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM

2011 BMW X5 SAV
Originally Posted by sunkist
Tymah123 - Everyone else I asked about my passenger headrest rattle gave me the same response as well. Maybe its a driver selfinduced mental rattle .

Seriously though if you dont want to take your time out of a normal work week, just bring the car in when its time for a scheduled service, and talk it out with your service advisor. There really should be no reason for them to not look for it and fix it. I've done it to my E almost everytime I heard something but now I'm out of factory warranty and cant get it done.
Good idea, I'll definetly ask when I'll go there for the 1,000 mile check... it'll be in a couple of months though... I drive about 50 miles a week.