2008 E320 Bluetec advice needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by dieselophile
In response to steakneggs original thread, I too was in the market for a new diesel e320 (bluetec) a few weeks ago but chose a 2006 e320 CDI instead - no adblue refills needed, smooth and reliable cast iron in line 6, proven 5 speed tranny. I bought with all the goodies - Heated seats/HK sound/nav/phone/keylessgo/power shades/wood steering/30K miles still warrantied - all except active seats and pano roof, for 39.5K. Paid ~20K less than new!

1) Sorry, I have little info on the EDP.
2) Essential options are really a personal choice, but for a luxury vehicle heated seats, HiFi sound, power shades/rear door shades, navigation, bluetooth phone system/wood steering all add to the perception and experience of "luxury" and adds to resale value. Also, any add ons or retrofits post purchase that one might wish for can be prohibitively expensive, so get all the goodies you might wish for up front!
3) Sorry, but the Caddy's just not in the same league - safety, luxury, power/performance, fuel efficiency, great resale value all in one package as in no other with this diesel benz.
I agree with you 100% and did the same thing in February 2007. The car is immensely enjoyable and so smooth. Watch out for diesel and other leaks though.

Diesel leaked around the intake O ring (the one distal to the engine block) and automatic transmission fluid leaked out of where the fluid sensor enters the transmission oil pan.

With the engine enclosed in a shroud top and bottom you would have to remove these to see the leaks.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML320;2004 CLK 500; I took European Delivery of a 2008 E320 and waiting for it to get here.
In response to steakneggs original thread, I too was in the market for a new diesel e320 (bluetec) a few weeks ago but chose a 2006 e320 CDI instead - no adblue refills needed, smooth and reliable cast iron in line 6, proven 5 speed tranny. I bought with all the goodies - Heated seats/HK sound/nav/phone/keylessgo/power shades/wood steering/30K miles still warrantied - all except active seats and pano roof, for 39.5K. Paid ~20K less than new!

2) Essential options are really a personal choice, but for a luxury vehicle heated seats, HiFi sound, power shades/rear door shades, navigation, bluetooth phone system/wood steering all add to the perception and experience of "luxury" and adds to resale value. Also, any add ons or retrofits post purchase that one might wish for can be prohibitively expensive, so get all the goodies you might wish for up front!
3) Sorry, but the Caddy's just not in the same league - safety, luxury, power/performance, fuel efficiency, great resale value all in one package as in no other with this diesel benz.
It is my understanding that the 2008 diesel Bluetec does not require adblue. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
dnhill
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by dnhill
It is my understanding that the 2008 diesel Bluetec does not require adblue. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
dnhill
You are correct.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
All the more reason to buy one right now rather than later.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
All the more reason to buy one right now rather than later.
I would second that. This is what happened with me. When I decided to order a 2008 last year, I heard that 2008 model would have adblue. I scrambled to locate a 2007; it was seemingly inpossible then but I was eventually able to order one. Later I found out that 2008 did not have adblue. Still no regrets with end of season 07.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM

1997 E320 (silver/black)
EDP Rally Package ...

is a really enjoyable experience. Did it with my family back in '97 but most of the places we stayed at are still available in the package. We stayed in Stuttgart, Munich, Austria, the Black Forest and Baden Baden. All were first class and parking was no problem with good security everywhere. We mixed in a half dozen other nights at non-plan locations and I called each to be sure there was secure parking. Dropped the car off in Paris for shipment home. Was a highlight of my life. I hope to repeat it again before I leave this life.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Those of you with the E320 Bluetec with P2, does the car have LED rear taillights? Or is it the standard taillights?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Those of you with the E320 Bluetec with P2, does the car have LED rear taillights? Or is it the standard taillights?
LED rear taillights; all lights in the taillight fixure are LEDs.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by pinebaron
LED rear taillights; all lights in the taillight fixure are LEDs.
So the rear brake light assembly in the rear taillights are LED, just like as with the Sport Package in the E350 and E550? If so, thats good to know.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
So the rear brake light assembly in the rear taillights are LED, just like as with the Sport Package in the E350 and E550? If so, thats good to know.
It seems they would be same across all current models due to their low maintenance requirements.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
http://mb-of-westminster.ebizautos.c...c-2510037.html

Check it out, when you look at the rear pictures it doesnt seem as though there are LED brake lights on the actual taillight assembly. I would imagine that the picture doesn't show it all that well, though I am pretty certain that it is part of P2. I think I will just ask Greg to look into this matter.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM

1997 E320 (silver/black)
steakneggs ....

You have a private message.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
http://mb-of-westminster.ebizautos.c...c-2510037.html

Check it out, when you look at the rear pictures it doesnt seem as though there are LED brake lights on the actual taillight assembly. I would imagine that the picture doesn't show it all that well, though I am pretty certain that it is part of P2. I think I will just ask Greg to look into this matter.
Information for my 07 Bluetec was based on my owners manual under lamps section.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Information for my 07 Bluetec was based on my owners manual under lamps section.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM

'74 AMC Gremlin
That sounds like a nice package. The 20k is tempting, but for once I'd like to be a first owner. I believe the adblue will be added next year in order to expand sales from the current 45 to 50 states (oops looks like others addressed that already). Thanks.

--
SYLLABICATION: u·re·a
PRONUNCIATION: y-r
NOUN: A water-soluble compound, CO(NH2)2, that is the major nitrogenous end product of protein metabolism and is the chief nitrogenous component of the urine in mammals and other organisms. Also called carbamide.
ETYMOLOGY: New Latin, from French urée, from urine, urine, from Old French, from Latin rna. See urine.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM

'74 AMC Gremlin
Originally Posted by okc329
is a really enjoyable experience. Did it with my family back in '97 but most of the places we stayed at are still available in the package. We stayed in Stuttgart, Munich, Austria, the Black Forest and Baden Baden. All were first class and parking was no problem with good security everywhere. We mixed in a half dozen other nights at non-plan locations and I called each to be sure there was secure parking. Dropped the car off in Paris for shipment home. Was a highlight of my life. I hope to repeat it again before I leave this life.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I've scoured the boards and I haven't found any major complaints about it yet. I'm definitely tempted.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec

How do you like your CDI? I am in the market for one as well. As with many people on these boards, it seems so hard to find one nicely equipped. I don't know how many I have looked at on the internet to discover they don't have headlight washers which means no lighting package. When I do find one with the lighting package it sometimes does not have heated seats!

That is one complaint I have with Mercedes-Benz products is that they don't seem to be ordered with much equipment on them, unless you get into an S-class. I am not sure who is to blame for that - MBUSA or the dealers that order them. Perhaps I am in the minority liking additional options.

Do you like the Keyless Go? Also, do you have the active lights, that arc with your steering direction?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
How do you like your CDI? I am in the market for one as well. As with many people on these boards, it seems so hard to find one nicely equipped. I don't know how many I have looked at on the internet to discover they don't have headlight washers which means no lighting package. When I do find one with the lighting package it sometimes does not have heated seats!

That is one complaint I have with Mercedes-Benz products is that they don't seem to be ordered with much equipment on them, unless you get into an S-class. I am not sure who is to blame for that - MBUSA or the dealers that order them. Perhaps I am in the minority liking additional options.

Do you like the Keyless Go? Also, do you have the active lights, that arc with your steering direction?
Call Greg at MB Westminster. He has several E320 Bluetec's with P2 package in STOCK. www.mbwestminster.com His name is Greg Weiler. He is a stand up guy and very pleasing to work with.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM

2017 E300W
In answer to some of your questions:

1. The price is negotiable; if you search the forum under ED, EDP, or European Delivery discount you’ll find what price concessions others have gained. Once you sign a contract (it is with MBUSA), the price won’t change. The Rally tour and the very friendly German people, IMHO, are worth it. Not matter what your station in life, I’m sure that you’d be impressed with the accommodations. Parking is not an issue. Bavarian weather in May should be cool and clear (high in 60's). A Google search for “Munich May weather history” gives you plenty of stats. And don't forget about the complementary supurb lunch at the MB delivery center restaurant (an excellent wine list too).

2. I recommend full leather as an option, P1, and wood wheel. Although others like it, the need for the trunk closer seems like an unnecessary and expensive gizmo. When you use the remote to open the trunk, it pops completely open and a simple push with the hand closes it. I can’t imagine a compelling need to remotely close the trunk from inside the car. Also, the folding seats have been a great help at Depot although the standard trunk is quite large.

3. Torque, fuel economy, re-sale value, 3-pointed star on hood.