E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Proper Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E300, 2014 C300
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Just out of curiosity, what do they charge to fill a tire or 4 tires with nitrogen? Also, do they change the valve or just the valve cap to signal Nitrogen?
Just had new Contis installed at Rallye Motors in Roslyn (originals at 4mm after 36,000). They wanted $10 per tire for nitrogen. Did not do it.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM
S93
Almost a Member!

The owner's manual says (very hard to find but it is there) that you should put 3 psi more than what it says on the filler door for better handling.

I think what they mean is to follow the filler door for a better ride but add 3 for a safer tire pressure, better handling, and fractionally better fuel economy.

I don't listen and add 4 to the fuel door numbers on the assumption that I can lose a little air and still be in compliance.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Pressure

What S93 makes sense as adding 3-4 over factory has been std for many people looking for something more than the showroom ride. I think you could go one step further and say that in an extreme avoidance situation I want the car to oversteer, not understeer then you could change the psi relationship between front and rear. I am not certain how to do that but some of you track racers would know. Of course that would mean you would need to drive with the
anti-skid turned off and even then MB cars retain some of that even when off.

Did any of you read the column in the last STAR mag where the writer, who had track experience, got into a little trouble with his anti-skid and routinely drives with it off?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by S93
The owner's manual says (very hard to find but it is there) that you should put 3 psi more than what it says on the filler door for better handling.

I think what they mean is to follow the filler door for a better ride but add 3 for a safer tire pressure, better handling, and fractionally better fuel economy.

I don't listen and add 4 to the fuel door numbers on the assumption that I can lose a little air and still be in compliance.
OK on 2 out of three... but how do you infer a "safer tire pressure"?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 AM
S93
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
OK on 2 out of three... but how do you infer a "safer tire pressure"?
I conclude that it's safer because of marginally better handling during avoidance maneuvers, a little less heat buildup (conclusion made from Ford's explanation of Firestone tire failures in the Ford Explorer - insufficient tire pressure caused excessive heat. On the other hand, normal pressures might not result in more heat), more margin for slow air loss, etc.