E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Checking Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
Checking Brakes Question

I just got brakes and rotors put on about 5K miles ago. I am now hearing squeaking when I am half way through braking to a compete stop. There is no way the pads are down to the sensors yet, right? how the heck can I check what's going on without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks is advance,
PetePap
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Brakes done at an MB dealer? If not, it's likely they didn't apply brake lube (copper paste) between the back surface of the pads and the piston surfaces. That metal to metal contact is what causes the squeaking.
Is the sound coming from just one side of the car or both ?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Several things that I know of can help.
1. You can purchase a type of anti squeal lubricant that goes on the exterior
(metal) side of the pads at the contact area of the slave cylinder and the clamping "forks" on the caliper. The stuff costs about a dollar.
Downside is you have to remove the caliper to apply it and you could replace the pads just as easily if you have gone this far.
2. There are metal spring like devices that are fitted to the rear (I don't know about the fronts but I bet so) These act to attenuate the vibration caused by pad against rotor. They do not affect the braking ability and if they were left off you would not know except for the noise.
3. I think some pad material is just more prone than others.Possibly the scoring on the rotor has some effect. Glazing (caused by overheating the pads during break-in) and or by petroleum products that have found there way onto the rotor surface and then onto the pad. You can try cleaning the components with brake cleaner.

I married a Volvo (they were notorious) in the 70's It squealed from the day it came new off the dealer's lot until the happy day I traded it for $1300 and
laughed all the way home.

I would try the anti squeal lube. It has worked for me. Unfortunately it is a pain to retrofit.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Just as a matter of interest, the brakes on our E320CDI feature spring mounting of the pads. That is, there's no place to put antisqueal lube except possibly for the piston-pad contact area, and of course OE pads come with plenty of flexible coating on the back of the pad to start with.

E500s probably have a different setup.

Of course, if non-OE pads are installed, you're on your own as regards squeaking.

Finally--unlike cheaper USA cars--the brake pad wear indicator is not a noise scraper but rather a light on the dash.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
OK, so the break wear sensor on Mercedes DO NOT squeal, correct?

I got them done at the dealer, which was a rip off. I should call them and have them deal with it...at no cost...

Opinions?

pete
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by PetePap
I just got brakes and rotors put on about 5K miles ago. I am now hearing squeaking when I am half way through braking to a compete stop. There is no way the pads are down to the sensors yet, right? how the heck can I check what's going on without having to go to the dealer?

Thanks is advance,
PetePap
posible to much dust between the pads and rotor
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Mercedes has updated the metal springs for the front brakes.
There is also piston dampeners, don't think they really do anything. Pink rubber filled with small BBs, they fit into the pistons.
Paste works the best when applied correctly.
Some places also apply stop squeal to the pad serface, works pretty good.
Some pads crack, which causes them to make noise.

Brake noise is very comon.