E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: If You Already Have Your New W211, Would You Get One Again?
Yes
82.93%
No
17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

If You Already Have A W211, Would You Do It Again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 11:12 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Jim,

Except for Audi and Acura, I drove every vehicle out there and compared them all before deciding on MB. To be honest, I was leaning toward MB Eclass from the beginnng because of styling and looks and the MB name, but being a shrewd consumer, I wanted to check all the cars to make sure I was not buying something on name along, that I would end up not liking in the long run. I actually delayed my new car purchase for almost 9 months waiting for the new E-class.

Here is my take...and please this is only my opinion. The only car that compared to the E320 is the BMW 5 series (V6 models). Frankly, the BMW drove better in my opinion (response, manuverability, etc), however styling was horrible, both exterior and interior. The Lexus ES/GS and Infinity I35/G35 are just not in the class with the E320, they are more in the class of Nissan Maxima / Toyota Avalon, etc from a drivability, interior quality, etc. For example, the G35 aluminum interior was very cheap IMO, looked kind of like it was "spray painted" on, while the E320 sport aluminum is much higher quality stuff.

IMO, The competitors to the E500 are the Infinity Q45 and Lexus LS430 (the LS430, IMO even compares better with an "S class"). No car drives like the E500 (I did not drive the BMW 540 or 7 series, but I would guess they would be the only ones that came close). I did not like the Q45 interior styling as much as the E500. The Q45 is more advanced, voice reco, rear camera, reclining rear seats, but the drive was more like a Cadilac, not a more sportier ride like the BMW or MB. Also the resale value of Q45 was a big factor for me. The LS430 is the quietest and smoothest car you have ever driven, you really feel like you are driving on water. The ride is a little more like the Q45 and less sportier. Styling is nice on the interior, but exterior styling is a little bit older for me. I would have gone for an LS430, I think it is a better value for the money, but I felt like it was more a car for my parents than me. So in the end I am going E500.

Sorry for the rambling, but just thought I would add my $0.02 in.

Apurva
Old 11-21-2002, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
You people sure are defensive about your car No, I haven't made up my mind on the G35 vs. E320 since I haven't had the chance to drive either (wife drove an E320 though). We were going to drive up to Atlanta to drive a G35 the other day, but it gets so dark by 6pm now that I figured we'd wait until we could go up earlier. No one is trying to convince any of you that you bought the wrong car or that the G35 was better. This thread is asking if you would buy your E again. I brought up the G35 wondering if anyone had considered it. I too have read that the silver center console on the G35 looked cheap. What else looks cheap about the car? And someone please tell me why isn't the nearly same sized and more powerful G35 comparable to an E320? Is it because it costs so much less? Is it because of the silver console?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
ok, jim, you are kind of making sense, and yes, it is 20 grand more, but dont you want the safest car for your wife and you....it has the 2nd best technology(my standpoint) in the world, i would say the new 7 has the most technology......the new E has a lot better materials inside and out, everything is very luxurious, from the styling to the chrome around all the wood. the g35 leather, or pleather, i dont know which one is very cheap, and the new E has much better leather, even if it is not premium, the ride is much better, and there is still much more that others can maybe explain....but overall, there is NO comparison at all between the two, the new nissan 350z is 0-60 in 5.4 i think, now....the sc430 from lexus, or the porshe carrera or the mercedes sl500 all cost twice to triple the nissans amount, but the nissan is still faster than the lexus and mb(i think) and the nissan also has airbags, and leather, but that doesnt mean anything, quality and safety is the biggest aspect in a cars price
Old 11-21-2002, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
don't forget....

There's a helluva lot o' snob appeal with the MB, while many other cars are just....well, other cars.

Ya just don't get the looks, the awe, the OMG-you-must-be-filthy-rich smiles from the girls, or the OMG-I-cannot-compete-with-you looks from the guys that you would get in any other car.

EDJ
Old 11-21-2002, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Jim:

I don't think we are being defensive. We are just confused why you are comparing the G35 with the E-320. I don't think anyone has ever seen that comparison before as they are not competitive models.

Your comparison of "nearly" the same size, and engine is, IMO, a bit skewed. A large Chev and a Cadilac are near the same size and may have the same engine but you would not compare them. The same is true with most makes. The comparison between makers is much more severe when you compare models in different "quality" levels.

I feel that if you would look at the two cars you will get what we are saying. If you had compared the Q45 with the E-series then it would get down to each persons opinion and likes and dislikes.

Jim....we are not putting the G35 down...just don't think you are comparing the correct cars. Take and look and let us know what you think after you see them.

ED
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 AM
jwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Acura
If you are talking just specs, then you might as well compare a V6 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry to the G35 or anything else for that matter with similar specs. If you take a look at Car mags, a G35 is considered a sport sedan not a luxury sedan. It is designed for fun and "sporty" performance, not for the ride appeal. This discussion reminds of of those Hyundai commercials where the neighbors talk about their cars and who paid more for a car with similar specs..LOL.
Either way, you'll end up with a nice car, albeit, ELdiablo Joe is right on..you don't get the bling bling action and stares in the G35 like you do in the E.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:13 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Jim, I think you really need to drive both and get a feel for yourself. My opinion after driving both is that the G35 is just not a "solid" drive like the E320. Also, the G35 is made more like a sports car (like the Lexus I series) instead of luxury sedan like MB. For example, the G35 little room in the back, etc.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I didn't compare the Accord or Camry because they are front wheel drive and aren't considered a luxury brand like Infiniti, Lexus, MB, & BMW. I wouldn't compare the E to a Ford or Chevy either. I MIGHT compare it to a Cadillac when they introduce a larger CTS type vehicle. In today's mobile world, information highway, etc., there is no reason that a company like Infiniti could, if they chose to, copy MB's vehicle construction techniques to build a vehicle just as solid. They could hire away people from MB, like some do in F1, to design the Infinit to handle just like a "German sedan". The G35 does have one of the "Top Ten Engines", so I guess they're doing something right. So let's not kid ourselves that there is something magical about the MB. Granted name branding does plan a part in people's decision to buy a car, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. I'll let you guy's know which car I prefer after I test drive them, probably within a week or so. Later...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I have posted a reply to this thread to reactivate it...so anyone new since November can reply or vote.

I agree that the original problems have not been showing up on the newer cars. I did have the "ticking problem" and pulls to the right. Picked up my car just before Thanksgiving. Took it in yesterday at about 1000 miles. Took care of the pulling problem with simple adjustment and ordered motor mounts to cure the ticking problem. Neither problem were serious, just annoying. I may have not noticed the ticking if it were not posted here.

Refresh your vote here if you have not and lets see if there are many regrets.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
Disconnected Rain Sensor

Jim,

I too am unhappy with the rain sensor on my 2001 E 430 4 Matic. How did you go about changing it to one pulse every 5 sec., and is the interval adjustable?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
The percentage of satisfied owners is increasing. The ones who would not buy again is remaining at six.