Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 06:52 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Angry Defective TeleAid

I brought my car in today for the dealer to fix the defective teleaid system. Last time I brought the car in, the service manager told me that they needed to replace the ECU unit. Since they did not have that in stock, they have to order it from Germany. It took about 7 days for it to be here.

This morning the service manager assured me that the car will be ready today. When I called just now, he told me that he did not realize that the service technician needs to get deep in and under the dash to replace the ECU unit (whatever that means). He will call me tomorrow and let me know the status ????

My questions to you is how confident are you with your local MB service department? Do you think that their technicians are well trained on this new E model? I know that a few of you have some serious issues with SRS and TeleAid.

I love the car but I started to doubt my local MB service technician's capabilities.

Last edited by wow; 11-19-2002 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
MB mechanics on the Atlantic coast mirror pros everywhere:

Most are average, good and fair. Some are very good and some - unfortunately - are very bad.

Establish a good repoire with the MB Service manager and you'll be the beneficiary.

I had a dismal experience that went from a sunroof squeak elimination to replacing the entire interior ceiling, because of sloppy MB mechanics performance.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:12 PM

I have simlar concerns..my wifes E500 pulls to the right and the Teleaid doesn't work..I spoke to the service manager and he was not aware of any of these issues (humm?)..so off he goes to call MB to find out what to do..still waiting to hear back...

I'm going to delay as much as possible bringing the car in until these guys get trained..doesn;t seem like there are prepared.. sad isn't it?..that MB would not do a better job at launching such a wonderful car.

Last edited by OB_330CiC; 11-19-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:06 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
It's Abysmal

Frankly, as many have discovered, service is abysmal at many MB dealerships. My 10 day ordeal (see "Interesting Development" on this forum) was the worst car experience I've ever had.

I hope things get better, or the marque will suffer.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:16 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
On a few occasions, my prior MB's including the new E320 had an early defect/recall repair, or needed a part the dealer had not installed before. I had an early C320 that had the remote unlocking feature retrofitted. Since it was advertised and described, but was not on early W203 C Classes, they would install on request; on the W211 I was an early recipient of the gateway control module to fix the SRS/Tele-Aid malfunction. The dealer is fortunate that he has a MB "Guild Technician". There are something like 40 or 50 chosen each year in the US. He was a past recipient. He oversees all "new stuff", and typically likes to do the first repair himself. They guy has talent, a pleasant demeanor, good customer skills, and is a real team builder at the dealership. It sure makes me keep returning there although another dealer is 25 miles closer. Not all dealers are that lucky or skilled at retaining good people.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:09 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
Part Number for the TeleAid Control Unit

I just got my car back today. They changed the ECU control unit for my teleAid. I don't know if you are interested and whether or not the part number here is MB part number. But here it is

211-820-38-26

After they changed the ECU, whenever I turned on the ignition, the center console reported a message saying that the TeleAid is not activated. I called the TeleAid center only to have them asking me to contact my car dealer and request them to contact the TeleAid center to provide to them the new SID for my new control unit.

I was not too happy about this since nobody informed me about this whole re-registration. I am not sure if the dealer is awared of this !!!

Learning something new everyday.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
of course you have to register, but it is your dealers fault, they are supposed to go throught with you and do it, but i suggest doing it yourself, only if you know what all the buttons mean, because they waste 15 minz of your times telling you what each thing is and crap
Old 11-20-2002, 06:15 PM

2003 MB E500
I agree bmms8. I registered myself
Old 11-20-2002, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Finally got my teleaid fixed this week after a month of it not working. Took a day and a half. I never got a malfunction it just didn't work. I talked to my service advisor who is a real good guy about the problems he will be seeing (ticking, pulling, teleaid, etc.) based on the members of this site. He seems real skeptical, even asked me if it was on the new E or all MB's. It's like i'm making this up. He seems to think these problems are a very small sample of all new E's. Who knows, he could be right? I was in a few weeks ago when I first mentioned the ticking sound and he had no idea what I was talking about. don't forget, some of us may have the first E's that our particular dealer has sold. As far as techs not knowing the new product, that's not just MB. That goes for almost any industry. I sell big dollar ($1,000,000 +) medical equipment for one of the largest companies in the world, and the service guys never know the product until after it is introduced.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I forgot to mention when I brought the car in for the teleaid fix, I also told them the wipers were real noisy and were leaving black marks on my windshield. When I got the car back they told me they had no wiper blades and were on back order!! I had to laugh. I know the motor mounts were on back order, but wiper blades? unreal.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:51 PM
wow
Almost a Member!

E500
The problem here is that I already registered once. Now they asked me to give them some sort of identification number for the control unit that the dealer just replaced in my car. I don't know what the hell is that number. Thus I have to rely on the dealer once again.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:31 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Parts Shortage

The parts shortage is truly unreal. Three weeks ago I brought my car into the shop because the SRS warning light was on and the wipers worked erratically. Two weeks later the SRS was fixed and I got my car back. But I am still waiting for the wiper fix. Apparently there are no replacement parts in North America!!