E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Smart Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Smart Key

Having trouble programing seat/mirror/sterring wheel position into the Smart Key. I have attempted to follow the instructions in the manual but I must be doing something wrong.

1. I put the key into the ignition with door open OR closed and I have also tried turning key to the 1 OR 2 position.

2. I then adjust the seats and other stuff.

3. I take out the key

If I select a different memory position on the door then reinsert the key, the seats do not move to the position that was trying to be set in step 1.

Help please
Old 11-20-2002, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: Smart Key

Originally posted by CaptMike
Having trouble programing seat/mirror/sterring wheel position into the Smart Key. I have attempted to follow the instructions in the manual but I must be doing something wrong.

1. I put the key into the ignition with door open OR closed and I have also tried turning key to the 1 OR 2 position.

2. I then adjust the seats and other stuff.

3. I take out the key

If I select a different memory position on the door then reinsert the key, the seats do not move to the position that was trying to be set in step 1.

Help please
After Step 2, you need to assign a memory position to your selections. Press M and then 1, 2 or 3 within 3 seconds after pressing M.

Do it a couple of times to make sure the memory settings are accepted.

Last edited by saintvir; 11-20-2002 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:05 PM

2003 E320
Thanks Saint.....

What does assigning a M position on the door have to do with the Smart Key?

So Step By Step how should the sequence go to have Smart Key remember seat positions?

Mike
Old 11-20-2002, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Captain: The only way to program the smart key correctly is with the key on the ignition and pressing the "M" button at the same time.

Enrique
Old 11-20-2002, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
cap, they are right, also,k in your multi finction steering wheel, you can do something that is called key-dependant, it is in the convinience section, so per key, you can have 3 setting, so a total of 6
Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Originally posted by CaptMike
Thanks Saint.....

What does assigning a M position on the door have to do with the Smart Key?

So Step By Step how should the sequence go to have Smart Key remember seat positions?

Mike
Actually, the Smart Key does not remember the position. The memory positions are stored in the car's memory controller. The key only turns the controller on if you haven't chosen the 'key-dependent memory' function (in the Convenience settings menu on the steering wheel).

Your steps 1 and 2 followed by pressing M and then pressing 1, 2 or 3 within three seconds. You may also refer to page 110 of the Manual.

To recall a memory position, press AND hold the desired button (1, 2 or 3) until the saved settings are recalled.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:41 PM

2003 E320
smart key seat postion

Thanks for the replys

I have my key dendent setting for my key set to ON

When I put my wifes smart key in and went to the CONVIENCE features I noticed that IT was set to OFF. After selecting it ON all I had to do, with the key turned to 2 position, was to press and hold her memory position button until seats stopped moving then I hit M (her memory position) again, just for good measure and that did the trick.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM

2003 E320
Smart Key

Ok.....key for myself is programed, key for my wife is programed.

When she gets in the car AFTER I have driven it, the seat goes to her correctly memorized position.-Great.

When I get in AFTER she has driven it, when my key is insterted and door closed the seat moves back ALMOST to the position that is in M1(my position) That is to say if I want my desired seat position I have to put the key in...let the seat do its thing, mirrors and head rest go to correct posistion, the after seat is done moving in order to get it back further I have to press/hold 1 on the door to get it into the previous assigned M1 possision.

I asked the dealor about this and there response was that there is a seat position limiter that will only allow the seat to be moved aft so far with the key. I was told that if a seat possision is desired aft of where the it stops using the key, then a person would have to go to the door and press there respective numbered possision to gain further movement.

Has anyone had luck getting the seat to move, say, all the way aft and programing that into the key and it working?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:44 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

It took my a while to figure out how the Smart Key/Key dependence and memory function. Yeah, there are in total, 6 positions, 3 for each key. Depending on which key you insert into the ignition, the seats move into the seating position last used with that key.

However, I've noticed the same prob as you Capt- whereby the seat doesn't quite completely move into my memorised seat position after say someone else has driven it with the other key. One needs to push the memory button a little bit. My dealer had no idea as to why it did that....your idea sounds plausible. Anybody know why?

Also, is it just one reversing position for the passenger side mirror per key? It seems regardless of which memory position you use for a particular key, it always goes into that position when you select reverse.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:14 AM
BEC

E-500
Good morning, ICY.

The passenger mirror will shift down provided:
1. It is set to do so in the convenience menu
2. The passenger mirror adjustment switch is depressed.

It automatically raises shortly after driving off, above 6 mph, or instantly if you push the driver side mirror button.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:15 AM

2003 E320
BEC-Thanks for your input to the passenger mirror question, however your comment did not address the question asked by ICY.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:48 PM
BEC

E-500
Capt. Mike & ICY:

I wouldn't swear to it, but there may be some truth the dealer comment about a limiting device on automatically moving the seat back. Maybe we can run some tests with the seat adjusted to different positions?

Mine is in the shop for the motor mount change.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:17 AM

2007 CLS550
Does the key dependency and seat memory work also with keyless go? If so, is the programming sequence any different?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:01 AM

2003 E320
Smart Key

The manual says that 3 memory positions can be programed into EACH key.

Can someone please explain how that can be used practically?

If you have YOUR seat and stuff in M1 and programed in YOUR key and you have a seat position programed in M2 and a different one in M3, why not (after inserting) YOUR key in ignition just hit 2 or 3?

If it is possible to put all three M positions in EACH key, how do you select a particular M position that is programed in that key?

seems to me like not a usefull feature.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:26 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Yup, that's correct. 3 positions for each key, making a total of 6 possible seating positions to be stored.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but say all your stuff is programme into M1 for Key A, everytimt you insert Key A and push 1, all settings are correct for you. However, if you insert Key B and push 1, the setting are completely different. The M1 settings for Key B are recalled instead. If you want to have the same setting in M1 for both keys, you need to save your settings into M1 for keys A AND B. That's what I do for both my keys, just in case I swap them.

To recall M2 in key A for example, you need to put in key A before pushing M2- otherwise something different will be recalled.

If you push a particular memory setting BEFORE putting the key in (eg. M2), the seat will still move into M2 for that key. It was recognised when you pushed the remote to unlock the car.

Another cool feature is that when say the car has been driven with Key B, and you insert your Key A into the slot, the seat moves back into the last position used with Key A rather than that of Key B.

That's how I understand the whole thing!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:42 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
just an addition to the above: you do have to have "Key Dependent" turned on in the multifunction display to get the 6 possible settings. Effectively, it's only the 1 position on each key that benefits--user 2 and 3 (on each key) still have to hit their button. Traditional family: each spouse has a key and gets to have the settings memorized and activated without having to do anything.

Last edited by jim256; 02-07-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:44 PM

2003 E320
ICY
I'm not sure what your refering to. Maybe this might help you.

setting the "key dependent" mode as mentioned by jim256,
is a given....I hope that we are all that smart to start out with.

Lets say that M1 is set to YOUR position, M2 is set to your SUGNIFICANT OTHERS position, M3 is set to your MOMS position.

We have set M1 position with key A in the ignition (at the appropriate position)....M1 is now set into key A.

We have set M2 position with key B in the ignition (at the appropriate positino) M2 is not set into key B.

the last seat position is M2 so when YOU get into the car and insert key A the seat and everything else will move to the M1 position....so far so good.

Now. lets say MOM want to drive it. The last seat position in the key was M1...and remember we did not program any other seat positions into EACH key...only M1 for A and M2 for B but we did program M3 for MOM into the M3 position on the door without a key. So when MOM gets into the car with key A or B why can't she just press 3 on the door, it will then go to the M3 postion but will not be in the key, then when YOU or the M2 driver gets into the car with their key the seats will go to their position.

In other words if you HAVE to go to the door and push 1,2 or 3 anyway if you have all 3 settings in ONE key why not just go to the door and forget programing 2 extra settings in ONE key?