E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E320: Popping Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
2003 E320: Popping Sound

I have this 'popping' sound up front when I go over such things as speed bumps ... if I go over them coasting, it sounds like the vertical movement causes it - if I coast over the speed bumps with the brakes slightly engaged, the noise is less or not at all.

The front struts have been replaced with new Bilstein and I have had them checked out by a crack technician who can find nothing wrong with them. MB Dealer obviously does not like them and says they are not adjusted properly - the SR at the Dealer says he looked at them with his Tech, and observed that they were on the last setting - not properly set.

I called Bilstein and had a girl look up the ones I have and the info for my Mercedes, and she says they are the correct ones and they are not adjustable! I am seriously questioning my MB Dealer now

So, I have this popping sound when going over small bumps ... otherwise, the ride and handling is great. The Cross Strut Bushings are worn, so says my crack tech, but he says that is not the cause of the noise, even though after two hours of him testing it out (even road inside the engine to locate noise) we could not find it.

Can anyone help me with some tips ... vertical deflection causes popping sound and installing new struts did not solve the problem.

Thanks -
Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
DTB P-B-33.15/22 FEB07 squeaking/thumping noise from the front axle, replace upper ball joint(s). supposedly from improper torque on the ball joints from other services.

call your dealer and verify
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 AM

2003 E320
... thanks! Sounds like another expensive repair ... I think they said $175/hr labor. The crazy thing is, if I slightly touch the breaks while going over bumps, the noise does not happen. It is almost like the front end is being 'pushed' rather than having something to do with the struts going vertical (which I've about ruled out).

Would the ball-joints have a lateral deflection/movement if they are worn badly?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM

c32
Unable to tell you for sure due to not hearing the noise but a very common problem with the 211 is the lower balljoints causing a clunking noise when going over small bumps even if the joint doesn't have any play in it.I have seen upper control arm joints bad to but not as many.Sorry can't fix it can only say what problems I have seen in the past.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Ball joints