E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Fas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer issue

I have an 03 E500. Few days back my analog speedometer has started malfuctioning. Basically, the analog needle is way off (20 mph slower) than the digital read out. At times it gets stuck at 10 mph. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM

335I COUPE, E500
Originally Posted by Fas
I have an 03 E500. Few days back my analog speedometer has started malfuctioning. Basically, the analog needle is way off (20 mph slower) than the digital read out. At times it gets stuck at 10 mph. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
YEP, SAME HERE, PROBLEM STARTED LAST FALL, THE DIGITAL READING SEEMS TO BE OK.. ITS A PAIN IN THE ***! APPERENTLY TO FIX IT WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE CLUSTER AND THE DEALER STARTS THE KM READING AT ZERO WHICH BLOWS FOR RE SALE.. BUT THEY GIVE YOU A CERTIFIED PAPER SAYING THE MILES THAT WERE ON WHEN CHANGED..
Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by 514BOY
YEP, SAME HERE, PROBLEM STARTED LAST FALL, THE DIGITAL READING SEEMS TO BE OK.. ITS A PAIN IN THE ***! APPERENTLY TO FIX IT WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE CLUSTER AND THE DEALER STARTS THE KM READING AT ZERO WHICH BLOWS FOR RE SALE.. BUT THEY GIVE YOU A CERTIFIED PAPER SAYING THE MILES THAT WERE ON WHEN CHANGED..
The dealer has the capability to match the mileage readings from my understanding.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Yes, the dealer should be able to reprogram the new cluster to your current miles or you can purchase one from a shop that sells them already programmed with your miles. Also, there are a couple of cluster repair guys on ebay offering their services...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 AM

335I COUPE, E500
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
Yes, the dealer should be able to reprogram the new cluster to your current miles or you can purchase one from a shop that sells them already programmed with your miles. Also, there are a couple of cluster repair guys on ebay offering their services...
yes, the only problem is that they want to start it at zero, i'm affraid of re sale if they do so.. and about these cluster repair guys, should they be able to reapair the cluster that's ok.. but if they tell me i need to change it i'de rather get it done at the stealership.. (better records i guess)
thanks for your help guys..
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, the only problem is that they want to start it at zero, i'm affraid of re sale if they do so.. and about these cluster repair guys, should they be able to reapair the cluster that's ok.. but if they tell me i need to change it i'de rather get it done at the stealership.. (better records i guess)
thanks for your help guys..
Hmmm, that's odd because I remember someone in the W210 forum needing to replace their cluster at the dealer and they reprogrammed the new cluster to show the original miles. I could be wrong though...

Btw, isn't the mileage stored in the car somewhere??? If you swapped your cluster for one with zero miles with a verification sticker and then you went to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer, wouldn't they be able to see the accurate miles? If not, that's kinda stupid because with BMW, they can pull your vehicle info and miles right off your key!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM

335I COUPE, E500
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
Hmmm, that's odd because I remember someone in the W210 forum needing to replace their cluster at the dealer and they reprogrammed the new cluster to show the original miles. I could be wrong though...

Btw, isn't the mileage stored in the car somewhere??? If you swapped your cluster for one with zero miles with a verification sticker and then you went to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer, wouldn't they be able to see the accurate miles? If not, that's kinda stupid because with BMW, they can pull your vehicle info and miles right off your key!
Prob true, only that when you want to trade your car into a dealer or sell private, if the cluster doesn't show original miles it always creates issues with wholesaler's or retail buyer's..
Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Prob true, only that when you want to trade your car into a dealer or sell private, if the cluster doesn't show original miles it always creates issues with wholesaler's or retail buyer's..
Yeah, I know what you mean because they'll take one look at the miles, look at the sticker and think that the car has problems; or at least some people think that way. If you would like me to look into having your cluster reprogrammed for you here in SoCal just send me a PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
All dealerships have the ability to set the total distance through Star Diagnosis in new instrument clusters (ICs) for the 211 that have a digital display. As of NOV05, the Parts Distribution Center (PDC) began shipping un-programmed ICs when ordered by the dealers.