Help w/Split Rear Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Help w/Split Rear Seats

I have an '08 E350 with the split rear seat option.

When I release one of the latches in the trunk, the front seat moves forward to provide clearance for the fold down seat.

I flip the bottom cushion up and remove it and then fold the back cushion down.

Now when I try to move the front seat back to take up the gap between the folded down cushion and the front seat, it refuses to move.

How can anyone sit in the front seat when the rear seat is folded down? Even the shortest of persons can't fit in the front seat.

The manual says nothing about moving the front seat back.

Am I missing something or does this look like a problem for the dealer?

TIA,
Bud
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E350 4matic
I'll have to check that out on mine.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
I'm really wondering why the split rear seats has to be an option while other car makers had this as standard.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350 Sport 65 Plymouth Satellite Jeep GC Porsche 944
Sounds like your seat is operating as designed. The front seat will not reverse while the rear seat is down. Most humans will still fit in the front with the seat forward. I'm 6' and 215 and I fit, albeit snugly.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Your system is operating as it is supposed to, BUT there is a way to have your MB technician reprogram that system so that it will not make the passenger sear go so far forward. I had this adjusted at the same time they adjusted my easy entry/exit setting on my driver's seat and steering wheel. (I don’t think that the new E's have the driver’s side seat move back feature now).

Either way, be nice to your dealer and they should not charge you for it either. They made my car chirp when I lock it even thought he 2004s don't do it out of the factory. They don’t usually charge me for any of these little adjustments.

Steve
Old 02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by bertman
Sounds like your seat is operating as designed. The front seat will not reverse while the rear seat is down. Most humans will still fit in the front with the seat forward. I'm 6' and 215 and I fit, albeit snugly.
There's no way either my wife or I can fit into those seats that far forward. Neither of us is very tall at all.

We certainly couldn't drive the car that way.

The feature is practically useless the way it is. I can't believe that this is how it's supposed to work. I need to talk to a dealer about it.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Your system is operating as it is supposed to, BUT there is a way to have your MB technician reprogram that system so that it will not make the passenger sear go so far forward. I had this adjusted at the same time they adjusted my easy entry/exit setting on my driver's seat and steering wheel. (I don’t think that the new E's have the driver’s side seat move back feature now).

Either way, be nice to your dealer and they should not charge you for it either. They made my car chirp when I lock it even thought he 2004s don't do it out of the factory. They don’t usually charge me for any of these little adjustments.

Steve
They charged me $30 to make my 2004 chirp when I locked it.

My old dealer has opened a new dealership much closer to me and my old SA came along with it. I'm going to give him a call to see what can be done. I suppose if I could kill the automatic seat movement, that would fix the problem. I think the W203 didn't have the auto movement feature.

Last edited by BudC; 02-28-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Split-seat "work-around"

Hello BudC. There is a work-around for he situation you have and I have used it on my MY08 E successfully. As soon as you release the rear seats via the handle in the trunk, immediately move any of the front passenger seat adjustment switches and the seat will stop. You are not able to adjust the seat further (while the seats are folded) after this point but at least the front passenger seat stays in the current position. It takes two people but works. Let me know if this works also for you. You are correct, there is no way someone could fit in the front seat when it adjusts itself. This is something that started in the MY05 or MY06 models. The older cars adjusted the front passenger seat also but not nearly as much as the newer cars. I can explain the reasoning further but then it gets boring
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by silberrosa
Hello BudC. There is a work-around for he situation you have and I have used it on my MY08 E successfully. As soon as you release the rear seats via the handle in the trunk, immediately move any of the front passenger seat adjustment switches and the seat will stop. You are not able to adjust the seat further (while the seats are folded) after this point but at least the front passenger seat stays in the current position. It takes two people but works. Let me know if this works also for you. You are correct, there is no way someone could fit in the front seat when it adjusts itself. This is something that started in the MY05 or MY06 models. The older cars adjusted the front passenger seat also but not nearly as much as the newer cars. I can explain the reasoning further but then it gets boring
Great! Thank you very much! Whatever Daimler-Mercedes reasoning about this, it's flawed.

I'll try it and get back with my results.

Thanks again.

Bud
Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
This must be a change with the later models, my front seat does not move forward when i lower the rear seats (although my front passenger seat is close since my 12 daughter sits there most of the time), and i dont usually remove the seat cushion. I just used it the other night, i loaded 9 boxes of wood flooring for the kitchen including all the trim and quarter rounds too. Its like having a E class pickup
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The procedure posted by siberosa works just fine. As an aside, last year we were getting ready to go on vacation and had put the rear seat backs down so we could load the trunk from both ends.

I put both rear seat backs up and then spent an hour in a blazing hot garage trying to get a front seat to go back until it dawned on me that one of the seat backs hadn't locked. I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, my brand new '08 with 200 miles on it ran flawlessly on our 6,000 mile driving vacation.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BudC
The procedure posted by siberosa works just fine. As an aside, last year we were getting ready to go on vacation and had put the rear seat backs down so we could load the trunk from both ends.

I put both rear seat backs up and then spent an hour in a blazing hot garage trying to get a front seat to go back until it dawned on me that one of the seat backs hadn't locked. I was not a happy camper.
I will have to check this on my 2005 - I unlatched the rear seats but didn't observe the front ones moving to compensate.

Fortunately, my brand new '08 with 200 miles on it ran flawlessly on our 6,000 mile driving vacation.
Every time I drive my car I am reminded how wonderful it was designed.