E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

warranty expiring soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MBZ C230
warranty expiring soon

hey guys i have a 2004 e 320 and the warranty will be expiring next month. i am planning on taking it in for its last "free" service. it has 36,000 miles on it. should i be cautious about anything / have the dealer do any other checkups? thanks.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why not buy an extra four years of warranty coverage from the dealer. Since the milage is not going to be an issue, get as much extra time as you can.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
I was in your same boat last fall. You definitely need some warranty. No question. I finally decided on the Warranty Direct. I got 4 more years / 75K...for ~$1200

JM
Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GLK 250 BT
JM,

So what's your experience with Warranty Direct? Have they truly covered any/all labor and parts, electrical and drive train, etc?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Why not buy an extra four years of warranty coverage from the dealer. Since the milage is not going to be an issue, get as much extra time as you can.
+ 1
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I just got inspected by Warranty Direct and they gave me a quote. They're quite expensive as the miles get higher and when you're out of warranty. Does anyone have any experience with them and the things they claim they cover before I take the plunge!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I would ask your dealer to go over the car very carefully and correct any issues spotted under the factory warranty. I am not a believer in extended aftermarket warranties, They may pay some of the small issues without a problem but if a large one should arise they will do anything in their power to deny coverage and you will end up in a protracted battle in court. In fact these contracts are not warranties but an insurance policy written by devious people. In addition these are for profit companies and they usually win. The rates are based upon history and they are always in thjeir favor. I go it alone and pay for any problems out of my pocket. Historically I have always come out ahead or worst case about a break even.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM

2007 MBZ C230
thanks guys! i also believe in just paying out-of-pocket if any problem arises after the warranty expires!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by sosh
I would ask your dealer to go over the car very carefully and correct any issues spotted under the factory warranty. I am not a believer in extended aftermarket warranties, They may pay some of the small issues without a problem but if a large one should arise they will do anything in their power to deny coverage and you will end up in a protracted battle in court. In fact these contracts are not warranties but an insurance policy written by devious people. In addition these are for profit companies and they usually win. The rates are based upon history and they are always in thjeir favor. I go it alone and pay for any problems out of my pocket. Historically I have always come out ahead or worst case about a break even.
While I agree to most of this, Warranty Direct makes you pay for an inspection prior to granting you coverage to make sure that there aren't any "pre-existing" issues with the car. I've heard great things about them and that they almost always come through. I never had a problem with any of my previous W210's because they were all ODBDII. Now with all of the Fiber Optic crap running through CAN, the smallest issue can be thousands of dollars to repair. Even factory warranty isn't to your benefit, the crooked stealerships just bandaid every issue until you're out of warranty so then they can hamer you with their retail prices! Don't get me started, lol...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Just remember that "emission equipment" as defined in your maintenance booklet is warranted for 8 years / 80K miles.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The MB extended warranty is not "After-market" it is simply an option to extend the standard warranty. In my experience, and that of everyone I know, the warranty extention has paid for itself at least twice, usually moreso. Adding 36months and 50k miles basically doubles the original 48month, 50k mile warranty. In a matter of speaking, for a couple thousand dollars, you get a new car again, in terms of warranty.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I would get the warranty. Given you ball joints will fail,, Find out the cost subtract this from your warranty cost and you will find the extra cost.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
The MB extended warranty is not "After-market" it is simply an option to extend the standard warranty. In my experience, and that of everyone I know, the warranty extention has paid for itself at least twice, usually moreso. Adding 36months and 50k miles basically doubles the original 48month, 50k mile warranty. In a matter of speaking, for a couple thousand dollars, you get a new car again, in terms of warranty.
I am very much aware that MB extended warranty is not an aftermarket one. However it is really not an extension as there are some items that are not covered by the extended warranty. Also keep in mind that this extension is also a for profit contract and the odds are in MB's favor that they will come out ahead. If you must do this this is the ONLY way to go.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Yes, but remember, MB doesn't have to pay full price for parts and they most likely get a discount on labor rates w/ the dealership too. So yes, they do make a profit, but they won't go broke like other horror stories I've heard about after market warranties.

I think my extended warranty on my 08 E550 covers everything thats fair game. Its not a maintenance contract I agree. It won't cover brakes, rotors, etc. It is "insurance" basically against the really expensive stuff and at least mine covers electronics. I do know they bumped up the price of the ext warr., between 2006 and 2007 by something like $1500 but now it covers the NAV/COMAND unit, etc.

Originally Posted by sosh
I am very much aware that MB extended warranty is not an aftermarket one. However it is really not an extension as there are some items that are not covered by the extended warranty. Also keep in mind that this extension is also a for profit contract and the odds are in MB's favor that they will come out ahead. If you must do this this is the ONLY way to go.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM

04 E320 Wagon
I have Warranty Direct with Luxury Care Plus (covers everything including nav, integrated phone, airbags). They didn't inspect my car at all. I just picked the coverage and plan that I wanted.

A few weeks ago, I brought the car into the dealer due to a "visit workshop" message. It turned out that they needed to repair a wire in the airmatic system. SA told me that most likely the extended warranty wouldn't pay for it. However, to her surprise, Warranty Direct paid for everything, no questions asked.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 PM

2005 MB E500
Originally Posted by finnjab
I have Warranty Direct with Luxury Care Plus (covers everything including nav, integrated phone, airbags). They didn't inspect my car at all. I just picked the coverage and plan that I wanted.

A few weeks ago, I brought the car into the dealer due to a "visit workshop" message. It turned out that they needed to repair a wire in the airmatic system. SA told me that most likely the extended warranty wouldn't pay for it. However, to her surprise, Warranty Direct paid for everything, no questions asked.
If you don't mind I ask, how many miles on your car, and year. How much did you pay for the plan? I'm currently at 40xxx and about to be out of warranty in OCT/50k. So I'm kind of looking about right now for an extended warranty. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM

04 E320 Wagon
I have a 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon with currently 25xxx miles. The coverage I have is the most compherensive coverage Warranty Direct offers with no deductible for 5 years. I paid $3K for it. Some may bulk at this amount. However, I have basically every option available in this car from dynamic seats, heated steering wheel to power rear-hatch door. Also, my wife is the primary driver and I just wanted her to feel that she is covered no matter what.

You can also get other less expensive plans like MajorCare (covers major items: engine, transmission, etc.), SecureCare Plus (Major Care +, need to add airbags separately) with $50 or $100 deductible options. The main difference between SecureCare Plus and LuxuryCare is that SecureCare Plus doesn't cover nav and integrated phone, and you need to add airbag coverage separately. Also, the deductible is per visit and better than per repair/incident. It all depends on what options you have in your car and what you want covered.

A few things to note about Warranty Direct:
- They run promotions from time to time. Go to their website and get an online quote and get on their mailing list (use a different email address if you don't want to give your main email).
- If you are planning on buying a plan then make sure you purchase it before your factory warranty runs out. Otherwise you may see a price change and/or not qualify for a promotion that they are running.
- If the mileage on your car is over 50K then the extended warranty gets very expensive for any coverage plan with less duration/mileage coverage.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GLK 250 BT
I'm nearing the end of my warranty and considering this extended option. I had heard about most costing $3K to $5K for 2yrs to 4yrs, respectively. Ouch, too much!

But taking a look at Warranty Direct, the quotes are about half of that. Admittedly with the $200 deductable. My objective is to safeguard from any major problems at +$1000.

Anyone have regrets with their extended warranty, before I jump in?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM

2005 MB E500
Originally Posted by finnjab
I have a 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon with currently 25xxx miles. The coverage I have is the most compherensive coverage Warranty Direct offers with no deductible for 5 years. I paid $3K for it. Some may bulk at this amount. However, I have basically every option available in this car from dynamic seats, heated steering wheel to power rear-hatch door. Also, my wife is the primary driver and I just wanted her to feel that she is covered no matter what.

You can also get other less expensive plans like MajorCare (covers major items: engine, transmission, etc.), SecureCare Plus (Major Care +, need to add airbags separately) with $50 or $100 deductible options. The main difference between SecureCare Plus and LuxuryCare is that SecureCare Plus doesn't cover nav and integrated phone, and you need to add airbag coverage separately. Also, the deductible is per visit and better than per repair/incident. It all depends on what options you have in your car and what you want covered.

A few things to note about Warranty Direct:
- They run promotions from time to time. Go to their website and get an online quote and get on their mailing list (use a different email address if you don't want to give your main email).
- If you are planning on buying a plan then make sure you purchase it before your factory warranty runs out. Otherwise you may see a price change and/or not qualify for a promotion that they are running.
- If the mileage on your car is over 50K then the extended warranty gets very expensive for any coverage plan with less duration/mileage coverage.

That's sound about right. I'm getting it maybe next month or so...