Questions???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Questions???

I have a couple of things that I am not sure about. Maybe someone can enlighted me:

1. My windows do not go all the way down. Leaves about 1" to
1- 1/2" up at the rear of the front windows and the front of the rear windows. Normal? Bummer if you want to drive with window down and arm out window. Right where your arm would be.

2. Panic button does not work on either key. Is there a menu setting or something to activate. Did not find anything in manual.

3. Can't "train" the garage opener. Never had a problem before with any other car or with any other controller. Followed the manual many times and no luck. Checked the door opener documentation also. Any trick to this? Anyone else have a problem? Think I will try it on a friends house to see if it is the car or just me.

4. The front seat belt "buckle" between the front seat and the center are pretty tight and somewhat difficult to fasten the belt. Worse on the passenger side. Normal?

No biggies just wondering if these are problems or just normal for the new E-series.

ED
Old 11-30-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Questions???

Originally posted by etenn
I have a couple of things that I am not sure about. Maybe someone can enlighted me:

1. My windows do not go all the way down. Leaves about 1" to
1- 1/2" up at the rear of the front windows and the front of the rear windows. Normal? Bummer if you want to drive with window down and arm out window. Right where your arm would be.

2. Panic button does not work on either key. Is there a menu setting or something to activate. Did not find anything in manual.

3. Can't "train" the garage opener. Never had a problem before with any other car or with any other controller. Followed the manual many times and no luck. Checked the door opener documentation also. Any trick to this? Anyone else have a problem? Think I will try it on a friends house to see if it is the car or just me.

4. The front seat belt "buckle" between the front seat and the center are pretty tight and somewhat difficult to fasten the belt. Worse on the passenger side. Normal?

No biggies just wondering if these are problems or just normal for the new E-series.

ED

hi, ok #1....windows are doing the right thing
#2....i would talk to dealer, but in order to make it work, hold it for 1.5 seconds
#3......on the garage opener itself, not the remote, but the machine, there should be the training button i believe, press that, but before you do that clear the homelink system in the car, i think it says how in the manual, so press the training button, then hold down the corresponding button you want
#4.......i havent had any problems, maybe ask your dealer, of if you have a digital camera, take a pic of it, and post it here
Old 12-01-2002, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Thanks for the reply Bmms

1. If not seating flush is normal then that is truly a bummer.

2. Doesn't work regardless of how long it is pressed. Will get dealer to check it out.

3. Did all that still doesn't work. Will check with dealer.

4. Will try to get picture. The buckle is difficult to get to and there is no play in the the fixed buckle unit.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Ed
Old 12-01-2002, 01:02 AM
wow
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
1. The windows should come all the way down. Mine do.
2. I have not tried the panic button yet
3. Do you have a rolling code for your garage. I had a hard time too at first. Later, I found out that my hand was blocking the transmission light. There is a light behind the rear view mirror, make sure when you press the button, point the garage door opener light to the car's garage opener light. If you have the rolling code for your garage, then follow the MB manual to train your car.

I hope that helps.

Chris
Old 12-01-2002, 02:33 AM

2013 S550
My experiences are like Wow. Never tried the Panic button, but windows go all the way down. I've got the rolling code on the garage, but my salesperson told me how to program it. (Forget now, but it worked!) My mother has a terrible time with the passenger seat belt. C0-workers do much better.

If I wear a coat, the seat belt messes up. That is to say, I unbuckle the seat belt, it retracts but is caught by the coat I am wearing. I get out of the car and close the door. It doesn't close. It in fact scars the inside of the door because the seat belt gets caught when I try and close the door. I had this on my punch list, and they replaced the driver's seat belt. It still does the same thng. Be careful if you wear a coat! Good luck with your new MB.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
hmm, i always thought that the windows didnt go all the way, my parents are out with the car right no, but when they come back, ill check it out
Old 12-01-2002, 08:33 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Question #4

The rest of the questions have been covered adequately (1-mine go down virtually all the way*, 2-panic works if you hold it down, 3-works with a rolling code by first training the handheld opener to the car, then the car to the garage unit), but I also found the seat belt buckle hard to snap, sometimes feeling like it was jammed open and would not accept the belt tongue.

Trial and error, I have had 100% success if I insert the belt tongue angled slightly from me toward the buckle, If 12 o'clock is a vertical insertion, and it was balky, 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock works every time for the driver (1 o'clock to 2 o'clock presumably for the passenger). I hope this will help you, too.

*Also, give a reset a try on the windows. Close them fully and continue to hold each switch on the driver's panel in the close position for 3-5 seconds. It is supposed to reset the auto-down and may cure the window travel.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i checked it out yesterday and #1 didnt go all the way down, they stopped about3/7 of an inch
Old 12-01-2002, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I did try to reset the windows per Jim256. It did not help. I will just have to have the dealer look at it. At least I know that it is not "normal" no matter what the service advisor chooses to tell me.

I did not first train the handheld operator before the homelink

I "trained" the heldheld operator first then the garage unit and no problem. (hehehe ..i guess I misread the manual).

Thanks one out of two is pretty good.

Ed

Last edited by etenn; 12-01-2002 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:40 PM

W211 & Q7
questions from otto

I tried to set up homelink today but I cannot make it.

these are the steps I did

1. reset home link -- this park works

2. press garage opener button and one of homelink button at the same time -- I see the slow blinks but never get the fast blinks.

my garage opener transmitter is multi-code (10 digits) model 1089 from multi-elmac. (I don't think this is a rolling code model because I opened the lid from the transmitter and I only see the 10 switches, no training button.)

did i do something wrong?

another question for the buttons from the rear seat light (for pano roof model). there are 4 buttons -- two for reading lights and I could not figure out the features of the other two.

one more question, is there an easy way to switch cd channels. (bmw provides one touch button to jump between cd channels)

the memory seat feature of new e is not great as my bimmer -- i have to keep pressing button to get the settings instead of one touch button.

frankly, i think bmw does a very good job -- mb hk sound is good but bmw sound system is good, too. both cars run quietly. actually, bmw makes me feel it runs faster while i use sport mode to start it.

if you are under 35, it is good to own a bimmer before you are too old to have it, especially, m3 or m5. if you are over 40, it is about the age to have a mb -- enjoy comfort and style.

by the way, does anyone know why should i set up the month, day, and year in new e while it would not show it in the status line. of course, a lot of us have already discussed that the wrong design of clock already -- only the driver can see the time.

thank you for answering my questions.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: questions from otto

Originally posted by Otto
I tried to set up homelink today but I cannot make it.

these are the steps I did

1. reset home link -- this park works

2. press garage opener button and one of homelink button at the same time -- I see the slow blinks but never get the fast blinks.

my garage opener transmitter is multi-code (10 digits) model 1089 from multi-elmac. (I don't think this is a rolling code model because I opened the lid from the transmitter and I only see the 10 switches, no training button.)

did i do something wrong?

another question for the buttons from the rear seat light (for pano roof model). there are 4 buttons -- two for reading lights and I could not figure out the features of the other two.

one more question, is there an easy way to switch cd channels. (bmw provides one touch button to jump between cd channels)

Homelink - p.244 of the Manual. Make sure the key is in position 1 or 2 and the garage door remote is no more than 5 inches from the rear view mirror (keeping the indicator lamp in view). SIMULTANEOUSLY press the remote and the desired button until indicator lamp is blinking rapidly. Hope this helps.

Rear Seat Light - Do the buttons in your rear seat light look like the one in the picture? If so, the middle buttons are dimmer buttons. You need to press and hold for 4-5 seconds.

CD Channels - if you mean to move from one CD to another, press the corresponding CD number on the keypad (0 to 7). If you mean move to another music selection on the same CD, press the Seek buttons.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Regarding homelink you need to be more patient, especially if you have a rolling code device. I gave up from beginning, but on n attempt I got fast blinking response. You need to wait 3 or more minutes.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:17 AM

W211 & Q7
thank saintvir and dema

I will try it more times. (I did leave key in position 1 or 2 and hold the remote within 5 inches from the rear view mirror. but I might not press them simultaneously.) hope I can make it after n trials.

yes, it is a dimmer button and thank you for telling me to hold it for 4-5 seconds -- I could not find the instructions from manual.

yes, keypad is the only way to move cd from one to another but it is not easy to do it while I am driving.

thank you for help.

otto
Old 12-02-2002, 12:44 PM

The seat belt should work flawlessly. If not have the dealer replace the buckle/switch.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
seat belt:

Noticed a problem on mine like that and had trouble several times. After getting it in one time I gave it a healthy clockwise twist which I believe changed the alignment of the receptacle with the buckle. Now its completely problem free.

This would be consistent with intentionally rotating the buckle to 10 or 11'o clock as mentioned above but I don't have to think about it every time I insert it.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:06 PM

W211 & Q7
got it, finally

i must be luckly tonight and the left most homelink button finally got the signal from my garage opener.

thank you.