E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fogs on with Auto Lights Feature???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fogs on with Auto Lights Feature???

Alright, I'm a little new to the MB thing- I converted from a 5 series BMW about a month ago into my 2003 E. I read a few posts discussing dealers "programming" certain options on cars through the computer based on what is available in other countires, i.e. lock/unlock chirp. Does anyone know if the fog lights can be programmed to at all times that the auto headlights do? I prefer to drive with my fogs on, but hate having to manually turn them on when I have the auto feature. Yeah, it's lazy, but it's something that I'd like. I'll probably ask my dealer on Monday, but I thought that the expertise here may lead me to better/more accurate answers.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
Old 12-01-2002, 07:57 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Check Local Law First

Nick,

I'm not sure about where you live, but in some states it is illegal to run the fog lights unless there is reduced visibility. The stated reason, I believe, is that fog lights, when used under normal visibility, are blinding to oncoming traffic, thus causing a danger to others.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:43 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
The manual says you must select manual parking or headlights to activate the fog lights. The dealer may have a way around that, but I would not be optimistic.

Mine will activate the rear fog only if the headlamps are on, not the parking lights.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: Check Local Law First

Originally posted by KShortill
Nick,

I'm not sure about where you live, but in some states it is illegal to run the fog lights unless there is reduced visibility. The stated reason, I believe, is that fog lights, when used under normal visibility, are blinding to oncoming traffic, thus causing a danger to others.
Ditto on the above ... In fact, there is a sidebar in the Manual regarding use of fog lamps. Check your local law first!!!