E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 E320 Wagon Split Rear Seat Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon
Unhappy 2004 E320 Wagon Split Rear Seat Problem

OK so I am a newbie. Yesterday, a lovely, used 2004 `E320 Wagon was delivered to my house, and upon first inspection, it's fine. The only real issue I have found is that I can't seem to bring down the split rear seats.

Reading the docs, it should be simple.
Fold down the headrests - OK
Release and move the seat beds forwards - done no problem
Release the operating lever on top of either part of the rear seat backs and fold them forwards - no dice.

These suckers just won't budge. Interestingly, when I pull on the lever that retains the left rear seat, there's the sound of a motor operating, and then a beep from the center console. What's up with that?

The likelihood is that I am doing something completely wrong. Speaking to the vendor on the phone today, he had no problem with the seat backs, but could not describe the process to lower them.

Can one of you fine folks give me a clue perhaps?

-sf
Old 04-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SimonPCFrost
Can one of you fine folks give me a clue perhaps?
Detailed instructions explained in your manual: Controls -> Loading & Stowing.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon
Question

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Detailed instructions explained in your manual: Controls -> Loading & Stowing.

Thanks for the pointer, but no joy.

I tell ya. I have read that handbook up and down. I did learn that when I pull the handle to release the seatback on the left section, the beep I hear is accompanied by a message in the instrument cluster telling me that the seat is unlocked... a somewhat pointless missive. Those seats just won't break free.

It's my feeling that there is an electrical lock for when the car is running to keep the seats in place, so that they cannot be lowered while the vehicle is in motion, and this lock is not releasing when the car is parked up.

This will render the car a bit useless for what I need to do with it.... and being a Merc, of course, if it involves a mechanic's time, I am going to have to take out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage and part with my 1st-born.

I'll be off to the dealership in the morning to see if they can shed some light on the problem for me ..... that is unless someone else can direct me to something else to check?

-sf
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
You are the unfortunate victim of a slightly-overdesigned release system for those seats...my release broke at one point as well...although only one side broke...see if you can't find an independent certified Mercedes mechanic...otherwise you are probably looking at some $$$...good luck. don't let one of these little issues interfere with your enjoyment of a very fine automobile.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The beep at the instrument cluster is supposed to warn you that the rear seats are not properly locked to the normal position. Seems like this part works but not the actual release. Like from the previous post, seems like an issue with the release mechanism isn't rare.