E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

05 E500 - My first trip to the dealer for warranty work...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
05 E500 - My first trip to the dealer for warranty work...

....didn't manage to resolve many of the issues.

In a previous post about the SBC suction line dampers I provided a list of what items needed attention. I dropped the car off early Friday morning, picked it up Friday evening. Results are:
  1. Wacky speedometer (tech updated Speedo S/W, but exact same problem exists)
  2. SBC noise (installed suction line damper. If anything, it's louder - and perhaps more frequent, now than before)
  3. Water inside the trunk lid (appears to be fixed)
  4. Occasional clunking from the rear - which may be my imagination. Turns out it wasn't my imagination. Tech found at least one rear strut leaking - both will be replaced)
  5. A constant whine from either the power steering pump/idler pulley/AC compressor (Tech said he couldn't hear anything)
  6. Update the AGW and Nav - nav is on v.2004. (S/W updates made, and new Nav disk, v.2008, provided. However, upon pressing the NAV button system says to please insert disk - which is already inserted)
  7. Service C (Complete)
  8. What appears to be a very slight miss at idle. (NTF).

So it's back in as of this morning. The whine is irritating, and that the tech claims he can't hear it baffles me. They need to have another crack at the speedo, the nav, do the rear struts. Various parts of the drivers seat inflate/deflate at random times.

Dan
Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Request the shop foreman accompany you on a road test.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
Update - Getting Closer

Picked the car up yesterday afternoon.
  1. Wacky speedometer (tech updated Speedo S/W, but exact same problem exists) Update: Fixed by replacing the gauge cluster.
  2. SBC noise (installed suction line damper. If anything, it's louder - and perhaps more frequent, now than before) Update: leaving well enough alone.
  3. Water inside the trunk lid (appears to be fixed) Update: Actually, not fixed. When they finished working on the car they washed it, but I didn't check it until I got home. Sure enough, water is in there again.
  4. Occasional clunking from the rear - which may be my imagination. Turns out it wasn't my imagination. Tech found at least one rear strut leaking - both will be replaced) Update: fixed.
  5. A constant whine from either the power steering pump/idler pulley/AC compressor (Tech said he couldn't hear anything) Update: SA called earlier and advised the tech heard it, swapped on the short test belt to bypass the A/C pulley and noise went away. The replaced the A/C pulley. I was really excited about this. Picked the car up and it's still making the exact same noise.
  6. Update the AGW and Nav - nav is on v.2004. (S/W updates made, and new Nav disk, v.2008, provided. However, upon pressing the NAV button system says to please insert disk - which is already inserted) Update: fixed by additional S/W updates.
  7. Service C (Complete)
  8. What appears to be a very slight miss at idle. (NTF, will persue this issue in a month or so).

Additionally, the driver seat thigh and lumbar supports would infate randomly (dynamic seats). Appears to be fixed by "readapt and normalization" of seat.

The whine is bugging me - it simply should not be present as I can't believe it is "normal". This I shall persue. I am guessing that the entire accessory drive system on this engine is the same for some of the other engines; e320, e350, etc.

Do any of you hear such a whine from your E's? Honestly, sounds just like a old fashioned bad power steering pump but, in my case, the sound does not change when the steering wheel is turned, but does change with engine RPM.

Dan
Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500/Dealer

Was it an official MB CERTIFIED CAR?...Mine was, not a single problem yet..

.didn't manage to resolve many of the issues.

In a previous post about the SBC suction line dampers I provided a list of what items needed attention. I dropped the car off early Friday morning, picked it up Friday evening. Results are:
  1. Wacky speedometer (tech updated Speedo S/W, but exact same problem exists)
  2. SBC noise (installed suction line damper. If anything, it's louder - and perhaps more frequent, now than before)
  3. Water inside the trunk lid (appears to be fixed)
  4. Occasional clunking from the rear - which may be my imagination. Turns out it wasn't my imagination. Tech found at least one rear strut leaking - both will be replaced)
  5. A constant whine from either the power steering pump/idler pulley/AC compressor (Tech said he couldn't hear anything)
  6. Update the AGW and Nav - nav is on v.2004. (S/W updates made, and new Nav disk, v.2008, provided. However, upon pressing the NAV button system says to please insert disk - which is already inserted)
  7. Service C (Complete)
  8. What appears to be a very slight miss at idle. (NTF).

So it's back in as of this morning. The whine is irritating, and that the tech claims he can't hear it baffles me. They need to have another crack at the speedo, the nav, do the rear struts. Various parts of the drivers seat inflate/deflate at random times.

Dan[/QUOTE]