E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil Leak?

I was very bummed to see an oil (?) stain (about 6" diameter) on my garage floor. I was not there before I bought my E320 about 3 weeks ago... - any ideas or experience with this one? Is it normal during break in period? I'm taking my car in to have them look at this, the break pedal noise, the auto-windshield wipers (acting up like others' on this board) and the sunroof is springing back when I try 1-touch close feature. I have re-synchronized the sunroof like the book says, however it still does not close every time without a couple trys.

Thoughts on oil drips would be appreciated, I want to keep this car a long time, and this does little for my confidence.

Seelander
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 PM

During break in the car should consume more oil. But not through an oil leak!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
No way should any car ever leak oil, not even a drop.

The only benz I have had that ever leaked oil was a 89 300E with 98k miles. It was repaired by replacing a seal of some kind (I forget which) for a couple of hundered bucks.

I had an '85 Porsche that developed an oil leak (at 111k miles) and cost about $1500 to fix.

Older, worn cars with seal problems may leak oil and people put up with it as it can be expensive to fix when it is not under warranty.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:56 PM

I agree. If it is indeed an oil leak, it most probably is from a blown or faulty (or worn) gasket or seal of some kind.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
A six inch diameter fluid spot of any kind would be very serious. In a brand new E-320 it must indicate something serious wrong.

I would suggest that you put something..cardboard, paper, etc under the car each time you park and see if you can get a more definate idea of the source. It should be easy to determine if it is that large a leak.

The good news is that you have an appointment and whatever it is can be fairly easily fixed by the service department.

Let us know what you find.

Ed
Old 12-17-2002, 12:44 PM

Oil Leak

Here is an update. I put my car into the MB dealer shop for 2 days last week for several very minor issues, all were fixed (sunroof closing, wheel off center, etc) . They stated that they found no oil leaks or other leaks, so I thought perhaps the spots I saw on my garage floor were old and I very much wanted this to be the case. Not so unfortunately, read on:

One of the main issues I was also having was the high pitched noise coming from the break pedal - electronic squeal. They also heard it and tried to correct - however they did not know what was causing it. They did track the sound to the upper break line at master cylinder and replaced the upper break line (said they had to "manually bend" the breakline to make it fit (?!!). In any case, the noise was gone and I drove away happy with the silent breaks (although I had a nagging feeling that German engineering would make replacement parts shouldn't have to be "manually bent to fit..." - these breaks are new, so maybe used 2002 replacement part or not trained yet (I don't know, but it throws all kinds of doubt into my mind). Long story short, I now have had 4 warning lights go off that turn my dashboard red and state BREAK! - increased stopping distance, visit shop, etc, etc. This warning then goes away after I let the car sit for a while and drive again. I called and was told that the system just needed to be reset and to remove key for a few minutes. Indeed the warning does go away and things seem ok until it happens again a few hours later. It has now come on 4 times in 4 days.

I also scrubbed my garage floor (my god what am I having to do for a brand new car!) and put down cardboard. Low and behold I definitely do have some kind of leaking fluid coming out - about 1 teaspoon per day I estimate, which is now much more than it was before I put it into the shop. Not sure if it is oil or perhaps now I think break fluid. It is clear and washes off finger easily with just water. It has no smell either. Needless to say I'm going to have to drive 90 minutes to put the car back into the shop, however I must drive it there... I still appreciate the car, but I didn't buy it for the "wow" factor or to "feel the love" every day when I drive it - I wanted a good solid car that I didn't have to think about. It would appear that I have a unique issue here however, I hope they are able to fix and get me on the road for years of low maintenance driving soon, but the honeymoon is starting to fade already. Sorry to be a downer on this otherwise very upbeat board.

Seelander
Old 12-17-2002, 02:14 PM

Clear, soluble and odorless?

If the fluid you are seing is clear, water soluble and odorless it probably isn't brake fluid...and certainly not oil. Are you fairly sure that it is not condensation from the air conditioning/heating system?
Old 12-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
Question

If it does not evaporate quickly its not water (of course that would depend on how cold and humid it is). Maybe coolant but that would not be normal either.

It very well could be brake fluid and with the problems you are reporting I would be concerned and I would take it back to your dealer (with the cardboard if they don't believe you).

If you are curious go get some brake fluid and pour a teaspoon on the cardboard and see how it compares. Brake fluid is not particularly "oily".

For 60k why can't it be perfect? Probably next year's cars will be a lot closer. Such the pain of the bleeding edge.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Taking the cardboard with you to the dealer is a very good idea. You can show them what has happened and what it looks like.

Can you see if it is from the same place each time. That would help them to find any fluid up in the engine compartment and maybe give them a clue.

Good luck....sure it will work out ok but should never, never happen in these cars. No excuse for the shop not to find it and make you come back.

Ed
Old 12-18-2002, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
my bet is it is normal condensation from the AC and suspect you live in a cooler climate. The other fluids are all somewhat oily and have a color to them. That warning you are getting is concerning and does cast some doubt to what I said above. Keep us posted.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
2-17-2005

Just did a search to see if anyone else had this same problem recently. I found fluid spots on my driveway and were kinda oily in feel and smell. Made an appointment to take the car in tommorow morning...anyone else have this problem? I mean this is a new car!!???
Old 02-16-2005, 05:45 PM

Tesla
This is scaring me...