E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Finally pulled the trigger!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Finally pulled the trigger!

Finally did it this afternoon. Ordered an E500 (Canadian Spec) with following options:

1) Panorama Sunroof
2) Harmon Kardon Sound System
3) Sports Package
4) Split Folding Rear Seats
5) Dynamic Driving Seats, LH & RH
6) Nappa Leather

I have till tomorrow after to decide on color and trim. Although I am leaning on Pewter it looks like we are stuck with Charcoal interior as the Stone looks like it will be show dirt very quickly.

Alternatively, we will go for Brilliant Silver with Ash.

Any recommendations? Also is Keyless Go a worthwhile option to consider? I was thinking maybe switching the Dynamic Driving Seats to Multicontour Seats instead and use the savings for Keyless Go.

Thanks in advance for all your valued advice.

Last edited by benggolf; 01-15-2003 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Finally pulled the trigger!

Originally posted by benggolf
Finally did it this afternoon. Ordered an E500 (Canadian Spec) with following options:

1) Panorama Sunroof
2) Harmon Kardon Sound System
3) Sports Package
4) Split Folding Rear Seats
5) Dynamic Driving Seats, LH & RH

I have till tomorrow after to decide on color and trim. Although I am leaning on Pewter it looks like we are stuck with Charcoal interior as the Stone looks like it will be show dirt very quickly.

Alternatively, we will go for Brilliant Silver with Ash.

Any recommendations? Also is Keyless Go a worthwhile option to consider? I was thinking maybe switching the Dynamic Driving Seats to Multicontour Seats instead and use the savings for Keyless Go.

Thanks in advance for all your valued advice.
hey congrats ben!! nice options too, we have keyless, and we love it, i mean its a pain to get the key out of your pocke, look at what button you have to press, especially in night time, with keyless, go up to the door pull the handle and the door automatically opens, and you get in, hold mthe brake, tap the starter, and there you are, it isnt a needed option, but it is a very fun one
Old 12-12-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Congratulations on the order. You will enjoy it.

I have the multicontour seats and frankly I wish I had go with the drive dynamic seats. The drive dynamic seats have the pulse lumbar (if you travel much) and are just a better seat. I was disappointed in the Multicontour. Just my opinion.
Maybe someone else can give you another opinion.

Ed
Old 12-12-2002, 10:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I have the Stone color interior (ordered it from looking at pictures from brochure and Internet). After getting my car, I immediately regretted the choice. While it looks very nice, it certainly shows dirt very easily. In addition, with this color on the cloth trim on door and edges, I have to wash it on a regular basis (due to kids). If you're picky about having a car look neat, I would recommend a different color.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:17 PM

For cleanliness purposes Ash interior = Stone interior. Both show dirt about the same. Stone is more warm and cheery. I think you'll treat it better if it has a light interior. Well at least you'll know when the car needs cleaning as opposed to a really dirty charcoal interior car if you look closely.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:31 PM

2003 E500
Originally posted by etenn
Congratulations on the order. You will enjoy it.

I have the multicontour seats and frankly I wish I had go with the drive dynamic seats. The drive dynamic seats have the pulse lumbar (if you travel much) and are just a better seat. I was disappointed in the Multicontour. Just my opinion.
Maybe someone else can give you another opinion.

Ed
So Ed, are you confirming that 406-multicontour seats do *not* have the lumbar-pulsing-massage thing?

As originally pictured on the MBUSA site, it appeared that they did have *pulse*, like the drive-dynamic. I asked my salesguy and he confirmed same.

If my 406's don't have the pulse thing I'm going to be hacked.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:11 PM

The "pulse" is actually an inflate/deflate sequence of the drive dynamic seats.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:25 PM

2003 MB E500
I have a pewter/stone E500. I love they way it looks and get a lot of compliments on it too. The stone carpet does get dirty easily. But floor mats help. It looks so nice that although I will have to work to keep it clean, I'd buy the same color combo again.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:30 PM

2003 E320
ash

i have brilliant silver / ash. i agree with the other people here. ash shows dirt really easily. i've only had the car a week and only drove it a few times and it's already showing some dirt in the cloth area.

i originally asked for charcoal and changed it to ash. i should have kept it at charcoal.

anyway, great car though but stone/ash is going to be almost impossible to keep really clean.

Rock
Old 12-12-2002, 04:53 PM

For all those owners who have Ash or Stone interiors and are worried about it looking dirty there is something you can do now to help it look clean.

Order a set of the Charcoal mats for your car,it will keep the hardest to keep clean part of the car looking much better.

Black mats in either interior look great and can make keeping the car clean a lot easier.

When I placed my order I told the salesman I wanted a second Charcoal set for free- it was no problem.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by jposhea3
So Ed, are you confirming that 406-multicontour seats do *not* have the lumbar-pulsing-massage thing?

As originally pictured on the MBUSA site, it appeared that they did have *pulse*, like the drive-dynamic. I asked my salesguy and he confirmed same.

If my 406's don't have the pulse thing I'm going to be hacked.
That is correct...the 406 Muti-contour DOES NOT have the pulse lumbar function. I also thought that it did or I would have ordered the drive dynamic seats. Bummer..I really did want the pulse for long travels.

Any chance you can change to the drive dynamic seats? If not prepare to be "hacked".
Old 12-12-2002, 05:45 PM

2003 E500
Car's on the boat, so I'm basically boned. Unless I could wave a magic wand and get the dealer to deinstall and do the active-ventilated ones.

At some point such seats will be *broken*, and will need replacing - install/deinstall of seats should be a task within the capabilities of a dealer, but we'll see what happens.

It's definitely an unusual request, and I'd doubtless be waiting for the parts. I figure it would be a quick 'off-the-rails' for the 406s, then swap the switch for the heated seats with the AVS switch, and plug the AVS seats onto the rails and umbilical. Just depends on whether or not the vent plumbing is 'special' under AVS.

Frankly, I think I'll just have to live with disappointment or not accept the car and wait for an alternative.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:18 AM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
If 406 seats don't have the pulse function, then what is the difference between regular seats and 406 seats? I am also ordering the 406 seats because of the "massage" function. I was told that the 406 has the "massage", just not the dynamic inflation of the sides when you make turns. I can still remove this option, so please let me know.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by abhansali
If 406 seats don't have the pulse function, then what is the difference between regular seats and 406 seats? I am also ordering the 406 seats because of the "massage" function. I was told that the 406 has the "massage", just not the dynamic inflation of the sides when you make turns. I can still remove this option, so please let me know.
Apurva:

The 406 seats do not have the pulse feature. You have to get the drive-dynamic seats in order to get the pulse.

I replied to your PM.

Ed
Old 12-13-2002, 01:40 PM

2003 E500
My dealer just quoted from the brochure when asked to reconfirm. The brochure indicates that 406 seats *do* pulse, which is the big reason we collectively seem to have ordered them.

He also pointed out their escape clause about 'subject to change', so both the customer and MB have a way out - customer can reject the car, MB can say "you can't make me deliver this option as described" (which is a dumb thing to say from a customer service standpoint). He hasn't delivered a car with 406 so he couldn't confirm it himself, and he's going to ask around but I expect what he'll hear is what is reported here - no pulse.

Since MB changed the design, I'm inclined to ask for something in exchange. I was promised X, you gave me not-X, make it good. Either provide what was ordered or comp me some way. MB could offer a variety of things, from freebies to flexibility in ordering-deadlines, like a wood wheel, honor the Nav discount in February (if I don't order it til I see it in person), swap out my wheels/tires for a different style, or something.