E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Got rear ended tonight :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Got rear ended tonight :(

I was at a red light and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention and rear eneded into me. We exchanged insurance information and got a police report and he admited fault so that's fine there. But here is the problem I have.

I was actually hit pretty hard my car went into neutral when hit and my head smacked into the head rest pretty good too, but the bumper wasn't showing to much damage except a few scratch and 2 small dent. But I think I should have my dealer check out the frame just in case.

Now should I file a claim and make their insurance pay for it and will my insurance rates go up because of that? Any tips on what to do now?

Last edited by PartyVan; 06-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MB E500
Originally Posted by PartyVan
I was at a red light and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention and rear eneded into me. We exchanged insurance information and got a police report and he admited fault so that's fine there. But here is the problem I have.

I was actually hit pretty hard my car went into neutral when hit and my head smacked into the head rest pretty good too, but the bumper wasn't showing to much damage except a few scratch and 2 small dent. But I think I should have my dealer check out the frame just in case.

Now should I file a claim and make their insurance pay for it and will my insurance rates go up because of that? Any tips on what to do now?
Your insurance should not go up at all b/c it's not your fault plus you're making a claim against his insurance company not your. Get a lawyer too if you a want a piece of mind. About a month ago I was rear ended and pushed into the SUV in front of me. I was fine during the time of the accident. After a couple of days later, my back was in severe pain. Even now, I'm still get back pain result of the accident.

Take your car to the dealership and get it look at. Ask them to do inspect it to see any frame damage.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the info. About how long did your back start to hurt? My neck felt fine atm still but my head is a bit dizzy from smacking into the head rest...it felt like I got hit in the back of my head by a base ball bat.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Thanks for the info. About how long did your back start to hurt? My neck felt fine atm still but my head is a bit dizzy from smacking into the head rest...it felt like I got hit in the back of my head by a base ball bat.

I had a similar incident. Your car's frame is probably ok as it is much sturdier than YOUR frame. You should call your ins, have the car repaired and let the ins. co fight with the other company for refund.

Be sure to check your tail lights after the repair. Our incident destroyed the circuit boards for the LED tail light system. The body shop thought they were just bulbs. Dah..

Also take photos of the damage for your records before and after the repair. I also reco. USE a MB repair shop and follow through on who is doing the actual repair. I used a MB dealer who "outsourced" the car with out informing me and it had to be repaired twice after the initial repair to get it correct. This even included repaint due to overspray/orange peal.
Attached Thumbnails Got rear ended tonight :(-dscn2158.jpg   Got rear ended tonight :(-dscn2157.jpg   Got rear ended tonight :(-dscn2154.jpg  
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM

2013 E-350 4matic
Have your dealer check it out and make the repairs, its on the other guys insurance nickle so get the best repair possible. Your insurance shouldn't go up at all.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Yep i agree frame should be okay, but they have to remove the bumper cover to really confirm, some times the bumper shock absorbers are damaged...
Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 PM

2005 MB E500
It starting to hurt like 2, 3 days of the accident. By time the fourth day roll around I was in severe pain, I had to call the chiropractor. If I were you go check yourself first, car can be replace but your health is more important.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by E500Newbee
It starting to hurt like 2, 3 days of the accident. By time the fourth day roll around I was in severe pain, I had to call the chiropractor. If I were you go check yourself first, car can be replace but your health is more important.
Got cha...I'll watch out for any symptoms in the next few days carefully, my head doesn't hurt anymore so I hope I'll be ok.

One thing I keep thinking about is when I got hit the tranny went into neutral. I am thinking it is a safety feature incase the driver lets go of the brake when hit so he won't drive into the car infront of him but I don't see the car having any mechanical way to put it into neutral by itself. Did your car go into neutral as well?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Did your car go into neutral as well?
Don't remember but the driver went into Overdrive
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM

2005 MB E500
Got cha...I'll watch out for any symptoms in the next few days carefully, my head doesn't hurt anymore so I hope I'll be ok.

One thing I keep thinking about is when I got hit the tranny went into neutral. I am thinking it is a safety feature incase the driver lets go of the brake when hit so he won't drive into the car infront of him but I don't see the car having any mechanical way to put it into neutral by itself. Did your car go into neutral as well?
No, my tranny did not goes into neutral but the odometer display E-brake was being applied and the emergency flasher did automatically engaged.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
I was just rear ended today, my rear bumper is smashed up good, i didn't take pics yet. I was at a stop light and a GMC pick up truck "mistook the gas for the brake" in his words and slammed into me and I tapped the car in front of me. My front license plate is mangled and my rear bumper is destroyed. I didn't feel anything at first, but while sitting in my car waiting for a police report my back began to hurt. The police called an ambulance to take me to the hospital, which luckily was about 80ft from the accident (this as u can tell is a pointless waste of an ambulance's time since I could have just walked over but apparently that is the procedure.) I was given some medication for the pain which doesn't seem to help.

I was wondering though, the front portion of the headrests in my car are much higher than they used to be, is that a safety procedure the car automatically does when its in an accident? I noticed my doors unlocked and the hazard lights came on, which I expected to happen in an accident but I didn't expect the front portion of the headrest to move upwards. It does make a lot of sense as it prevents my head from being snapped backwards but there is no way for me to push it back down, will I need to have the headrests replaced?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Same happened to my car. Only minor scratches. It looks like E-class is good designed.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
after some more searching on another forum, i found the answer to my question...its called neck pro and it saved me from further injury...kudos to mb on neck pro
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Note,, many hospitals won't take patients that walk in. (something to do with insurance $$$). But if you are brought in by emt in the wagon they will. I helped a woman in an accident 20 years ago. She was in the parking lot of the hospital and injured. I asked the hospital to send aid,, they would not. Had to call EMT's to get her in and she was in the parking lot of the hosptial. Remember it's all about $$$$$$$
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM

'05 BMW 545i, '09 E350 4Matic
More important than the state of your car, glad that you are OK. Cars can be fixed, fixing a human body is painful.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:14 PM

'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Angry

I guess we're in good company and like others have said it is just a car and the main thing is that nobody was hurt or killed. Stopped in traffic on the freeway a couple weekends ago and bam. Got hit from behind by a 5 series (now known as Bavarian Murder Works). We were fine and long story short the bumper skin took the hit with dimples from the license plate screws and impression of the license frame. Fortunately the parking sensors appear to be fine and from what the shop could tell nothing broken behind the scenes. The bumper skin is repairable according to the shop. Dropped it off at the shop this morning and in a rental all week. Sucks because although it does not count as a point on our record it does show up and would have an effect on insurance shopping. We had to file the DMV paperwork as it was over the $750 limit. Other party is paying out of pocket but of course that doesn't cover the loss of value or all the hassle this has caused.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Note,, many hospitals won't take patients that walk in. (something to do with insurance $$$). But if you are brought in by emt in the wagon they will. I helped a woman in an accident 20 years ago. She was in the parking lot of the hospital and injured. I asked the hospital to send aid,, they would not. Had to call EMT's to get her in and she was in the parking lot of the hosptial. Remember it's all about $$$$$$$
Not sure what hospital this was, but it is illegal for them to refuse treatment in the Emergency Department for lack of payment.

Sorry to hear of people's accidents. Fortunately, I've not had an accident in my 211 yet, but it is comforting to know that the design is solid