E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Transmission Problem Follow Up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
E500 Transmission Problem Follow Up?

I remember ajoe and i8hotdoggs having transmission problems. Did you guys take your cars in to the dealer for evaluation? What ever happened with all this?

Please, fill us in on the details... Thanks!
Old 12-18-2002, 01:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: E500 Transmission Problem Follow Up?

Originally posted by NuBenz
I remember ajoe and i8hotdoggs having transmission problems. Did you guys take your cars in to the dealer for evaluation? What ever happened with all this?

Please, fill us in on the details... Thanks!
Good question! Also, here's a quote from a review at http://autos.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.as...=10537&src=vip

"Reliability Glitches
But the new E-Class trims are technically complex—perhaps too complex. For example, while I never found reliability to be an issue with a Mercedes, the E320 I tested refused to start for no apparent reason after being parked overnight and had to be towed to a Mercedes dealer.

And the E500 model's transmission got stuck in the "neutral" position while I was trying to shift from automatic to manual-shift mode. The car entered the transmission's "drive" position only after I stopped. Such a thing never happened to me in any type car with an automatic transmission with a manual shift feature. "

Question: does it only happen on the E500?
Old 12-18-2002, 06:10 AM

NuBenz,

Yes, I just got my car back from the dealer and they checked the transmission for error codes. Of course, nothing was found! It has not occured again. I will be watching closely and keep everyone posted.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Hmmm... very interesting.

As expected, though... no error codes! The wonders and pitfalls of computer wizardry. Hopefully, your incident will never happen again. It sounds like a computer glitch...

Mercedes would never let this go if it were something serious... I'm sticking with my order!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:22 PM

NuBenz,

I am also leaning towards a one time computer glitch, at least I hope! Either way I do not regret buying this car, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I love this car! I hope your car will be perfect, ENJOY and good luck!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:27 PM

2003 E320
transmission test

i had a loaner 2003 C240 for a few days and i ran some of these transmission tests on it. i realize that the W211 is different but i thought it might be interesting to do anyway and i didn't want to do tihs to my car.

i used the manual-shift mode to shift gears and it worked fine. i brought it up to red-line, shifted, etc. while going fast, i downshifted and it worked whenever safe. if it was not safe (would be above redline), it did not downshift (e.g. i'm going 30 MPH and i try to downshift into 1st gear...heh).

while driving, i put it into neutral, then put it back into drive. it engaged fine and engaged into automatic mode.

i put it into neutral, revved the engine up to redline, then put it back into drive...and it engaged into automatic mode just fine.

so in my tests, everything worked the way that it should.

the only explanation that i can think of for the transmission problem is that when it went back into neutral, the accelerator was pressed really hard so it went beyond redline and the car went into some mode where it decided that the transmission was malfunctioning and then did not allow you to go back into drive. i didn't go this far in my test because i was afraid i might get into a car accident or something.

anyway...i guess this doesn't say too much except that under relatively normal situations, the transmission shouldn't crap out.

Rock
Old 12-19-2002, 12:34 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by i8hotdogs
NuBenz,

I am also leaning towards a one time computer glitch, at least I hope! Either way I do not regret buying this car, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I love this car! I hope your car will be perfect, ENJOY and good luck!
Yeah, thanks! I'm crossing my fingers and toes...