E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E550 Power Steering Reservior location?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
E550 Power Steering Reservior location?

Hi guys, hate buying used cars.. because I don't know what sounds normal and what doesn't. Every since I bought the car about a month ago, when I drive in low speed, like 2-5 miles speed, I can hear a very low humming noise, and also clicking on the steering when turning. Not always but a lot of times, especially low speed. Since my bmw had leaking issue, every few months I would hear that low humming noise and clicking on my steering wheel, I was wondering if I have a leak and I want to see if I can check my fluid is low or not. I just wanted to make sure the fluid is not too low, and cause more damage to the car.

Also if it's low, what fluid should I buy? with my BMW, I just buy Castrol's Transmission fluid and that will work. How about Mercedes?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
It should be a good idea to check the power steering fluid. I would by a small bottle of MB specific fluid from an MB parts guy.

The pump and the reservoir should be at the front left top of the engine (to your right when you look at the engine from the front). You may need to remove some panelling or air intake pipes to reach the reservoir. A dipstick is attached to the cap (note temp readings).
Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Hi guys, hate buying used cars.. because I don't know what sounds normal and what doesn't. Every since I bought the car about a month ago, when I drive in low speed, like 2-5 miles speed, I can hear a very low humming noise, and also clicking on the steering when turning. Not always but a lot of times, especially low speed. Since my bmw had leaking issue, every few months I would hear that low humming noise and clicking on my steering wheel, I was wondering if I have a leak and I want to see if I can check my fluid is low or not. I just wanted to make sure the fluid is not too low, and cause more damage to the car.

Also if it's low, what fluid should I buy? with my BMW, I just buy Castrol's Transmission fluid and that will work. How about Mercedes?
If the car is under warranty its best to have the dealer examine all these little issues. It might involve updated parts or TSB and not just fluid.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
If the car is under warranty its best to have the dealer examine all these little issues. It might involve updated parts or TSB and not just fluid.
A good point, I always forget this as I'm used to a single year warranty period and only lately for two years.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 AM

2007 E550 Sports
Thanks guys for the help, I took the advise and took it to the dealer today, and they said the the fluid was low so they refilled fluid. but they found no leak, how can a 11k miles car with no leak and yet the steering fluid is low? they give me some BS excuses which I don't really believe. I only trust the people in this forum. Will power steering fluid go down in level without any leaks?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
It could happen, or there was something wrong that the previous owner had fixed. What dealer is this?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 AM

2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
It could happen, or there was something wrong that the previous owner had fixed. What dealer is this?
Mercedes of Anaheim (old Caliber) off 91 Fwy. I was told by the service advisor recently the only thing done was the rear center speaker and nothing else was done at the dealership. Any advise?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Mercedes of Anaheim (old Caliber) off 91 Fwy. I was told by the service advisor recently the only thing done was the rear center speaker and nothing else was done at the dealership. Any advise?
Who knows. Just monitor the fluid level from now on. Also, start bringing the car down to MBLN here in Laguna Niguel. Check out the GL forum and you will see how clueless the folks at Caliber are. They can't even fix a GL.