E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket tachometer install question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Aftermarket tachometer install question

I was thinking of adding an aftermarket tachometer to my E55 and placing it on top of the left hand corner of my dash where it meets the windshield so I can see it easily. I found a Stack tachometer that has a digital temp and oil pressure guage integrated as well as shift lights.

My question is: has anyone out there connected an aftermarket tachometer to their E55? If so, did you splice into the OEM tach's wires or how did you connect it?

Thanks.

P.S. The Rentech intercooler upgrade kit is on backorder, hope to have it by next week.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

2013 E350 4MATIC
I laughed my can off reading this. No offense intended! I just pictured the giant tach's we all see on the pillar inside V8 Mustangs.

Rule #1 and #2 for doing this is you must have at least one body panel with bondo and a GIANT fart pipe out the back.

-David
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by dw8083
I laughed my can off reading this. No offense intended! I just pictured the giant tach's we all see on the pillar inside V8 Mustangs.

Rule #1 and #2 for doing this is you must have at least one body panel with bondo and a GIANT fart pipe out the back.

-David

Wow, thanks for the prompt response. I dont' recall writing "Monster Tach". The thing is 3.5" and would be behind my inspection and registration window stickers. The small, out of line-of-site tach is the biggest complaint automotive writers have about the E55, so what's so funny about wanting to know what my rev's are? Where else should I put the gauge so I can see it?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM

2004 E55

-David
Oh, I see you do own a Mustang AND an E320, I should have written "Double WOW".
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honestly, I doubt the procedure will be so simple as to splice into the tach feed, just based on the electronics systems in these cars. I can imagine the possibilities for disaster are numerous, each with a fairly good probability.

I cannot fault the purpose, I always wished for a live engine data readout on the COMAND system. I think you are probably best off learning to listen for RPM, or just stick with the current setup.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM

2013 E350 4MATIC
In all seriousness, The existing tach signal is just about imposible to tap off of.

My favorite tach is on the Porsches. It's a BIG fat gauge ringht in the middle of the gauge cluster, and the spedo is off the left side and about the size of a large gas gauge.

And yes, I also have a Cobra Mustang. Albiet with NO bondo panels, fart pipe, or alternate gauges. I cannot tell you how many 20 year olds come up to me and lust after the car. Right away they tell me they would put a supercharger, big tach, and fat exhaust out the back if ot were their's.

I used to program the Montronic engine mgmt system a while back. You could experiment with the OBDII connector. The tach signal is available as part of the data stream. You can go to just about any autoparts store to buy an ODBII diagnostic readout. Find one that displays RPM's. It's a starting point.

-David

Last edited by dw8083; 07-22-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Honestly, I doubt the procedure will be so simple as to splice into the tach feed, just based on the electronics systems in these cars. I can imagine the possibilities for disaster are numerous, each with a fairly good probability.

I cannot fault the purpose, I always wished for a live engine data readout on the COMAND system. I think you are probably best off learning to listen for RPM, or just stick with the current setup.

Thank you for the informative reply, I do appreciate it.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

2004 E55
In all seriousness, The existing tach signal is just about imposible to tap off of.

My favorite tach is on the Porsches. It's a BIG fat gauge ringht in the middle of the gauge cluster, and the spedo is off the left side and about the size of a large gas gauge.

And yes, I also have a Cobra Mustang. Albiet with NO bondo panels, fart pipe, or alternate gauges. I cannot tell you how many 20 year olds come up to me and lust after the car. Right away they tell me they would put a supercharger, big tach, and fat exhaust out the back if ot were their's.

I used to program the Montronic engine mgmt system a while back. You could experiment with the OBDII connector. The tach signal is available as part of the data stream. You can go to just about any autoparts store to buy an ODBII diagnostic readout. Find one that displays RPM's. It's a starting point.

-David
Thank you for the informative reply, I do appreciate it as well.