E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Attempt Comand Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Attempt Comand Retrofit

I have read and read and read all the guides on here and ready to attempt this. The only question I need to know if what parts I need.

I have tele-aid and a harmon kardon system.

There is already and antennae on the car, can I assume that was from the tele-aid and will work with the Navi?

Do I need a audio gateway even witht the harmon kardon system?

I do need the bracket and trunk liner I know that for sure.

Do I need to run a fiber cable to hook up to the MOST in the B pillar?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Can you explain what's wrong with all the previous posts, like this one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...etrofit+comand

All cars with Comand have an AGW, the standard or the Sound system one. You are right about the GPS antenna, the splitter should be sufficient.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Diesel-Benz is right there is tons of info, just to be more specific (nothing better to do :-) :

I have tele-aid and a harmon kardon system.
-YES!

There is already and antennae on the car, can I assume that was from the tele-aid and will work with the Navi?
-YES

Do I need a audio gateway even witht the harmon kardon system?
-NO, it is already there.

I do need the bracket and trunk liner I know that for sure.
-NOT NECESSARILY, I mounted mine under the parcel shelf. See pic.

Do I need to run a fiber cable to hook up to the MOST in the B
pillar?
-NO, it is already there, what you have to do is connect the cables in the right sequence. You will need access to the bottom of the B pillar and under the rear seat.

You also need to take a look at the posts to figure out if your car is prewired for navi, not all 2003 cars were.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Attempt Comand Retrofit-img033.jpg   Attempt Comand Retrofit-img034.jpg   Attempt Comand Retrofit-img035.jpg   Attempt Comand Retrofit-img036.jpg   Attempt Comand Retrofit-img037.jpg  

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM

2003 E320
Wow That was Easy

I attempted the install today and got everything working with the exception of the GPS antennae. I won't pick up where I am. I had to disconnect my tele-aid, and plugged in my navigation drive. The navigation works, the antennae just won't pick up my location. Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:32 PM

GL350
Did you install the GPS antenna splitter A210 820 24 89 ?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by georgedaman
Did you install the GPS antenna splitter A210 820 24 89 ?
A continuing question, if the Tele-Aid was disconnected (why?), how did you connect the GPS wires to the splitter, if you did have that?

We do not need the splitter in Europe as we do not have Tele-Aid, I'm wondering if anyone has measured how the splitter works for DC power. Both units (Tele-Aid and Navi processor) must be able to feed the GPS antenna power but I was assuming the splitter would only use one or the other source. Does the splitter have DC-connection over all ports or only from one device to the GPS antenna?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 PM

2003 E320
I didn't use the spliiter. I tried just disconnecting the tele-aid antenae.

I removed the tele-aid antennae from the C-pillar and instered the navigation antennae.

I am going to try and get the splitter Monday. I saw some things about testing with a multimeter. Should I get a reading on the antenna?

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
A continuing question, if the Tele-Aid was disconnected (why?), how did you connect the GPS wires to the splitter, if you did have that?

We do not need the splitter in Europe as we do not have Tele-Aid, I'm wondering if anyone has measured how the splitter works for DC power. Both units (Tele-Aid and Navi processor) must be able to feed the GPS antenna power but I was assuming the splitter would only use one or the other source. Does the splitter have DC-connection over all ports or only from one device to the GPS antenna?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scootrz32
I didn't use the spliiter. I tried just disconnecting the tele-aid antenae.

I removed the tele-aid antennae from the C-pillar and instered the navigation antennae.

I am going to try and get the splitter Monday. I saw some things about testing with a multimeter. Should I get a reading on the antenna?
If you simply connected your Navi processor directly to the GPS antenna cable, my understanding is that this should work fine since in this case the Navi processor would supply power for the GPS antenna. I was more concerned that you would have used the splitter and removed the Tele-Aid cable from the splitter.

You probably cannot read to much from the GPS antenna with a simple multimeter except perhaps a complete open circuit failure. My comment was to measure the splitter if it has DC-feed-through only between two ports but you can forget this issue when you were not using the splitter.

GPS antennas on W211 cars have failed often but wouldn't you get Tele-Aid malfunction if this was the case, perhaps not on the cluster but just one readable with SDS.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM

2003 E320
So I got the splitter today and same thing. It still doesn't pick up my location. There isn't anything special I have to do becuase its a Euro comand right? Should I just buy a GPS antennae to test. How hard is it to replace the one there. Are they expensive?

If you simply connected your Navi processor directly to the GPS antenna cable, my understanding is that this should work fine since in this case the Navi processor would supply power for the GPS antenna. I was more concerned that you would have used the splitter and removed the Tele-Aid cable from the splitter.

You probably cannot read to much from the GPS antenna with a simple multimeter except perhaps a complete open circuit failure. My comment was to measure the splitter if it has DC-feed-through only between two ports but you can forget this issue when you were not using the splitter.

GPS antennas on W211 cars have failed often but wouldn't you get Tele-Aid malfunction if this was the case, perhaps not on the cluster but just one readable with SDS.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
You do not get any satellites? (there is an icon that counts them). Or are you getting satellites but the nav is not zeroing in on you? What is your location? Not on your profile.

EDIT: First time I used it after install, it took about 20 minutes to find satellites.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM

2003 E320
I don't think its getting satelites. I ordered a new antennae off ebay just to check and see if its that.

Im in Orange County, CA
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM

2003 E320
Got Satellits now not Zeroing IN

I put in the new antenna today. Now I get 6 satellites and even get the GPS coordinates, however it still shows me in the middle of a lake in Pennsylvania. Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
It can take a half hour or more of heart in your throat desperation to properly display your location.

I had that happen when my nav drive was replaced on my '04 a couple of times ago. You're probably gonna be just fine after your long drive.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I put in the new antenna today. Now I get 6 satellites and even get the GPS coordinates, however it still shows me in the middle of a lake in Pennsylvania. Any thoughts?
I guess time may fix it like Barry explains. I've never had an antenna failure and don't know how it would behave but are you sure you have the current location selected from the Comand menu? If I start browsing the map with my W221 Comand APS, the map of course gets frozen to the position I've selected.

Perhaps it is simply slowly accepting the very different location from GPS (assuming first it is a temporary error from GPS, which can occur). What about resetting the device?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:56 PM

2003 E320
I you said after time it picked up the right location and now we are all set. It seems like it may be off a little, but hopefully driving around and more time will help. Thanks for everyone's help. I would post pics but I think we all know how it looks by now since so many others have done it.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM

2003 E320
Almos There

When I drive down the road frequently it thinka Im driving down a sidestreet rather than the road I am on. Is there a way to fix that? THe CD I have is from 2005 will and updated CD solve it?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I drive down the road frequently it thinka Im driving down a sidestreet rather than the road I am on. Is there a way to fix that? THe CD I have is from 2005 will and updated CD solve it?
Try a new map DVD. You might browse through the technical bulletins konigstiger has posted if there would be any for this. I do remember something similar from the past but it could have been a different car, or then it was just the TMC with cars on the wrong side of the road.

What sort of a street is it where you tested it, how far wrong would it show your position? If it is like 10 metres/30 yards or more, at an open sky place it should be more accurate.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM

2003 E320
Probably 10-15 yards. It would put me on a side-street 10.20 yards west of the street I'm on. Then all of a sudden it would pop me back on the right street again after 2 minutes. Almost like the map coordianted were off.

Where can I get the updated CD? Is ther a way to get ont to test beofre I spend 100 on a new one?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:06 PM
XJ9

C350
Probably 10-15 yards. It would put me on a side-street 10.20 yards west of the street I'm on. Then all of a sudden it would pop me back on the right street again after 2 minutes. Almost like the map coordianted were off.

Where can I get the updated CD? Is ther a way to get ont to test beofre I spend 100 on a new one?
when you drove around before you fixed the gps antenna did you see any movement on the map at all.. It sounds like the wheel speed sensors are not being read by the command...

Normally when you have working WSS input but no GPS the map will scroll in the direction it was pointed and even rotate when the gps senses the vehicle moving with its accelerometers. If you had no movement when the gps was not working then look into why the WSS arent working.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 PM

2003 E320
Before without the GPS antennae, it was always headed East. So it moved further and further east, no matter which way I was going.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by XJ9
when you drove around before you fixed the gps antenna did you see any movement on the map at all.. It sounds like the wheel speed sensors are not being read by the command...

Normally when you have working WSS input but no GPS the map will scroll in the direction it was pointed and even rotate when the gps senses the vehicle moving with its accelerometers. If you had no movement when the gps was not working then look into why the WSS arent working.
You must be referring to the gyros at the Navi processor unit?

But if the map was showing the car moving to East, irrespectively if one made a 90 degree or 180 degree turn, but the map was still moving without any GPS signal (0 satellites shown), it sounds to me like the gyros are dead. The Navi processor finds the car moving from speed signal but does not find it turning because gyros do not give that signal? But I though the car would be able to make use of the steering wheel angle sensor/ABS sensors too to detect a turn? Never had this issue, perhaps something to read in more detail. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 AM
XJ9

C350
You must be referring to the gyros at the Navi processor unit?

But if the map was showing the car moving to East, irrespectively if one made a 90 degree or 180 degree turn, but the map was still moving without any GPS signal (0 satellites shown), it sounds to me like the gyros are dead. The Navi processor finds the car moving from speed signal but does not find it turning because gyros do not give that signal? But I though the car would be able to make use of the steering wheel angle sensor/ABS sensors too to detect a turn? Never had this issue, perhaps something to read in more detail. Any thoughts on this?
yes, even with the gps unplugged the cursor( or map) should both rotate when you turn the car (the gyros or accelerometers) and scroll when you move (the WSS). if the cursor moves then the WSS data is getting to the unit and if the cursor rotates directions then the gyros are working.

The three inputs work together to precisely locate position (its called dead reckoning) with the nav using gps to refine the WSS and gyro data. In his case if the cursor didnt turn then it sounds like the gyros are bad. in his case what will happen is when you drive and turn a corner the cursor will continue to go straight for a bit until the gps receives a new data set (every 1-5 seconds) and then the cursor will jump onto the correct street. however since the navi thinks that you actually drove a little bit further than you did it puts you next to the street instead of on it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
XJ9

C350
Before without the GPS antennae, it was always headed East. So it moved further and further east, no matter which way I was going.
do you have the navi mounted in the factory location and proper orientation. the gyros will not work correctly if the unit is mounted differently.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

2003 E320
Are you referring to the drive in the trunk or the headunit?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you referring to the drive in the trunk or the headunit?
Gyros are at the Navi processor unit, and I guess you cannot install the head unit in a wrong angle. Although there are some head unit types that integrate navigation and can be used on different models, then you have to adjust the gyro angle accordingly. This should not be an issue for a W211.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Attempt Comand Retrofit