E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Keyless Go Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Question Keyless Go Question

To those with Keyless Go in their W211's. Have you tried using one of those pushstart buttons from the ML/GL/R? -- Does it work?

j.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
Well I have Keyless Go in my W211 and I have no idea what you're talking about??? Can you explain your question better? Are the pushstart buttons in those vehicles in the gearshift as well?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
The pushstart in our W211s is on the gearshift. The pushstart on the GL/ML/R is a piece of plastic in the shape of a mushroom. The top is the button you push, the bottom looks like the tip of our car keys. See screen capture from EPC below.

The piece of plastic snaps into the key hole. And, that is what you use to start/stop the car. There are no electronics in the plastic piece (see pic below).

The keyless system knows that the key is in the car and so it lets the engine start when you push the button. So, my original question is, could one take that plastic piece from an ML/GL/R, snap it onto the keyhole of a W211 and use it in addition to the button on the gearshift?
Attached Thumbnails Keyless Go Question-mercedes-benz-gl550-push-bu.jpg   Keyless Go Question-captured.jpg  

Last edited by baxterdown; 08-02-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added EPC screen capture
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E500 sport
Originally Posted by baxterdown
The pushstart in our W211s is on the gearshift. The pushstart on the GL/ML/R is a piece of plastic in the shape of a mushroom. The top is the button you push, the bottom looks like the tip of our car keys. See screen capture from EPC below.

The piece of plastic snaps into the key hole. And, that is what you use to start/stop the car. There are no electronics in the plastic piece (see pic below).

The keyless system knows that the key is in the car and so it lets the engine start when you push the button. So, my original question is, could one take that plastic piece from an ML/GL/R, snap it onto the keyhole of a W211 and use it in addition to the button on the gearshift?
....or perhaps use it in lieu of the button on the shifter

I'm not sure, though. I saw some cars at the dealer with keyless go and there was no button (ML models). They told me this dongle went to the key area, but that they put it in after sale, as people tend to STEAL them. Maybe it does work?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Xr,

You are correct. The little plastic dongle goes into the ignition just like the key. Dealers keep those out of the cars until they are sold because people steal them.

I would like to know if the trick works. The button on the shifter in my E gets so hot in the summer it burns your fingers when you touch it!

j.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
This looks a bit strange. When I look at the W221 parts, the EIS isn't different for cars without KG from those that have it. But the EIS on a W211 is different for KG while I don't see why it should be different.

Can't you just push the EIS IR window carefully if it moves, the button anyway isn't doing more than that.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Can't you just push the EIS IR window carefully if it moves, the button anyway isn't doing more than that.
Hey Diesel,

INTERESTING!!! This is what I did

- I went to the E and tried pushing the EIS with my finger. Nothing happened. Then, I put the key in the ignition and as soon as you put it in, the ignition makes a quick winding noice. The sound repeats when you take the key out. It's almost as if putting the key into the ignition activates it.

- Then I put the ML's key in the E's ignition. Nothing. No sound. The key also wouldn't turn.

- So, I went to the ML to see if it was the same (I don't have KG on the ML). It wasn't! When I put the key in the ignition, I don't get the winding noice; there is no sound.

- I also tried putting the E's key into the ML's ignition. There is no noice, but interetingly enough, the key does turn! When I turn the key, I get a message on the MFD that says "Key doesn't belong to this vehicle" (or something like it).

So, this supports your theory that the EIS on the E is different. Now, I don't know if it's different from other vehicles or if it is different between KG W211's and Non-KG W211's.

I'm starting to think it's not gonna work! Damn, I wish I knew someone with a KG ML around here to test it really quick.

j.

Last edited by baxterdown; 08-02-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo