E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY Question: Lower Control Arm Bushing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
DIY Question: Lower Control Arm Bushing

Ol TMade has a 'do it yourself' question for you older owners...

My front driver's side lower control arm bushing is squeaking. It's been squeaking for about two weeks. I went to the Stealership yesterday and let my Benz mechanic friend take a look/listen. He was able to isolate the noise to the inner bushing on the lower control arm...

My question to you guys is this:

Do you think I can replace the bushings myself?

I believe I can. Have any of you replaced yours? It seems like it'd be pretty straightforward, simply unbolting/removing the control arm pin and tapping the old bushing out.

Has anybody ever done this? I'd like an opinion before I try it.....

Last edited by Taylor-Made'90; 08-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Just take into account that you likely have a joint that can be separately replaced instead of the whole joint plus control arm. You would need a special tool, or something that looks like it, to be able to get the joint out from the arm and to put the new one in. If you have done that before, go ahead. If you are in doubt, leave it for the shop, it should not be too bad there either.

Actually I do not remember which way the lower joint was but it would still come off with a special tool and a hydraulic "jack".
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4Matics
Can't something like this be done at places like Midas or Meinekes at a substantially cheaper cost?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Just take into account that you likely have a joint that can be separately replaced instead of the whole joint plus control arm. You would need a special tool, or something that looks like it, to be able to get the joint out from the arm and to put the new one in. If you have done that before, go ahead. If you are in doubt, leave it for the shop, it should not be too bad there either.

Actually I do not remember which way the lower joint was but it would still come off with a special tool and a hydraulic "jack".
I'm sure how 'special' a tool I'd need. Here's a pic of the lower control arm inner bushing.

http://images.autopartsworld.com/liv...0163533CFW.JPG

It looks as if once you remove the holding pin (bolt) the entire control arm should drop down a few inches and you'd be able to tap the bushing out.

Hmmmm...... I'll admit I'm curious to find out for myself.....
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90
I'm sure how 'special' a tool I'd need. Here's a pic of the lower control arm inner bushing.

http://images.autopartsworld.com/liv...0163533CFW.JPG

It looks as if once you remove the holding pin (bolt) the entire control arm should drop down a few inches and you'd be able to tap the bushing out.

I thought you were changing the lower joint, this is totally different, why did you even ask if you can do it yourself.

Are you sure the noise is from this part?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I thought you were changing the lower joint, this is totally different, why did you even ask if you can do it yourself.

Are you sure the noise is from this part?
Yeah, I'm sure....

When I was at the Stealership, my mechanic friend drove me (and my car) into the shop and to his work station. He got a stethoscope (literally) and slid under the wheelwell and placed the probe on the strut, the ball joints and the control arm, and listened to the squeak. He had another tech mash down on the driver's side fender, making the control arm flex (and squeak). He was able to isolate the squeaking to the bushing.

He's done other work on my car, so I trusted his diagnosis. Besides, it squeaks when the airmatic kicks in to raise or lower the car. I originally thought it might've been a loose brake pad or copper wire pad sensor (which is broken too, by the way).

Anyway, I trust it's what he says it is.....

But the more I think about it, I feel I can replace the bushing myself. I've even got a 'tap' to get the bushing itself out/in.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM

-
Why dont you just have your friend do the bushings after hours since he works at the dealer? You need to take the thrust arms out and press out the old bushings and press in the new ones with the right couplings. Its a easy job, but a press is a must in this case. As a certified benz tech, I havnt seen a squeaky thrust arm bushing before, but anything is possible. Usually the squeak is from the lower ball joint.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by motioneffects
Why dont you just have your friend do the bushings after hours since he works at the dealer? You need to take the thrust arms out and press out the old bushings and press in the new ones with the right couplings. Its a easy job, but a press is a must in this case. As a certified benz tech, I havnt seen a squeaky thrust arm bushing before, but anything is possible. Usually the squeak is from the lower ball joint.
If my 'guy' does the work, he'll most likely do it after hours. But I was just thinking it was something I could tackle rather easily. But if you're a certified Benz tech and say a press is needed to remove/reset the bushing, then you've got me reconsidering doing it myself.....

But he's insisting it's the control arm bushing, not the ball joint.

And the funny thing is. It rained this morning in Dallas. And I drove in the rain coming to work... Guess what's not squeaking right now????

Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 AM

2001 C240 B/B 6spd
"Usually the squeak is from the lower ball joint.

my lower control arm bushing, the part closer to the wheel "i'm gessing ball joint" is ready to come off and i'm getting nasty vibration from it. My MB tech friend told me i need to change the entire lower control arm. Is he being lazy and can i just change the "lower ball joint" or do i need to replace the entire lower control arm?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by santanaa
"Usually the squeak is from the lower ball joint.

my lower control arm bushing, the part closer to the wheel "i'm gessing ball joint" is ready to come off and i'm getting nasty vibration from it. My MB tech friend told me i need to change the entire lower control arm. Is he being lazy and can i just change the "lower ball joint" or do i need to replace the entire lower control arm?
Which car do you mean, your data shows C-class while this is W211 forum. It really depends on the car model (even different on different W211 models, when Euro options are included).
Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 1999 ML430 & Regal 402 Commodore
I have changed bushings on my 87 420SEL & decided that I would never do it again. That being said, I changed the thrust bushings on my 03E500 by replacing the whole control arm. Pressing in the bushings is a delicate job. You need a shop press with the proper fitting die. If not you will damage the bushing. Also, by purchasing new assemblies, you replace the ball joint at the same time. The stealership wanted $59 for the ball joint & $30 for the bushing. I purchased aftermarket assemblies for $100 shipped. The install is like changing a tire...easy! The only special tool is a picklefork to separate the parts.

good luck...