Resonator Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Resonator Delete

Hello everyone. I have a stock exhaust system on my E320 (no quad exhaust and no dual tips), just the one that hides behind the bumper. Here is my thing, I really want a better sound, but I've decided I will not cut my bumper and don't want to spend the money on an AMG bumper (at least not right now or for a little while). So, I was wondering if it is possible just to do a resonator delete on a stock exhaust? I know you guys with the AMG ones have done it. Also, will I lose any power?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Personally I wouldn't do it on a 320. I was thinking of doing it on my S500 (those Motors sound amazing when free'd up), but even then I saw some people reporting it sounded deeper and better, but even then some were saying it sounded kind of "broken" and it didn't do much good.

I just recently read (can't remember where) someone saying they did it on their E350 (which has a deeper and stronger exhaust sound to boot over the 320 Motor) and he said it sounded bad, kind of "ricey" from what I gathered. Even with exhausts the V6 Motors unfortunately don't sound too beefy, although the 350's are known to have a nice "deeper" sporty howl to them in comparison with some other V6's.

All in all, I'd bet you won't be happy with a Res delete on that Car, maybe the right muffler system could give you a decent sound.

Last edited by K-A; 09-10-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya, idk. I don't want to have to replace the whole muffler, contemplated it for a while and really didn't like any of the routes I'd have to go through with. Thought with the resonator delete I'd get a little more tone. The price is right too, heard of people getting a straight pipe done for as low as $40, also heard $80 for some. Still might go through with it since the price is right and see how it is. Also, doesn't interfere with smog regulations and checkups so I'm covered with that.

Then there is the question of X-pipe or straight pipe. Then I've also heard of H-pipe. What do you guys think? Heard the X-pipe is better for this vehicle and that you lose low end power with just straight pipes. Heard straight pipes sound more raspy.

Last edited by gaazmon; 09-10-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, should be super cheap to get it done so couldn't hurt to try. Worst case you get them back in and you're out 80 or so bucks.

From my experiences in the past (with Mustangs which are really popular with the X and H Pipes), the X's sound more raspy but produce more upper RPM flow. The H's have the more rumbly sound and give some more low end. I like H Pipes more, but especially for a smaller Motor, I'd say the H is the way to go to save some needed low end and try to get it sounding as least raspy as possible.

Lemme know how the delete sounds if you do it. Also, if you have a Warranty make sure it won't interfere.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey thanks for the advice K-A, that's what I was looking for because I was hearing so many different things from so many people. So from what I can tell most raspy to least is: straight > X > H. And losing low end power from greatest to least is: straight > X > H. The thing I was worried about is low end. I'm not to worried about upper end flow since I'm mostly down at the bottom end. Since it is a V6 and not a V8, I'll go with the H then so that I won't really lose any low end and help make the sound deeper. For the price, it's worth the risk (especially compared to getting a whole new muffler and having to cut the bumper).

Ya, I'm gonna check on the warranty issue. I have warranty till April 30, 2009 because it's certified, so might not even cover the exhaust because the bumper to bumper ended, and what could go wrong with the muffler, especially cause it's just the resonator removed, nothing else. This is why I've been holding off on a powerchip and evosport pulley kit.

Definitely let you know how it is. I want a deeper sound, like the CL500, so I'll go with the H. Every horse and lb. counts and I don't want it to sound high pitch. Actually, for you it would work out really good since you have tips also.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350, 03 Lexus ES300, 04 CLK 320 (gone)
you won't lose any power with the resonator delete...go with x-pipe...the sound is more noticeable when you're on the peddle...

if you really want sound then go with aftermarket exhaust 1st...keep the resonator since the interior noise level may be affected....

again, it really depends on what you want.

I know some exhaust makers have 'high flow' resonators too, so you can get the better exhaust sound/performance and still keep the interior noise level at low....
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is also very important too, which one will give the least amount (or hopefully no) interior noise. I figured straight would give the most. So it's pretty much down to either X or H, but leaning towards the H. Has anyone done this on a V6 benz with factory exhaust? Might head over to the C-class forum and ask over there too.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

LB Bnz, you have a 350 with Resonator delete? How does it sound?? Any clips??
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
LB Bnz, you have a 350 with Resonator delete? How does it sound?? Any clips??
sorry but no sound clips...what I did was: initially removed the resonator and kept the stock exhaust (for about 3-5 months) got used to the sound -- it sounded real good when I would let loose on the roads (carefully driving fast ) -- I went with 'x' pipe

to best describe it, it didn't have the 'girgle' or 'throatiness' of a V8 but it sounded better than stock...besides losing an add'l 20+ lbs, it was a very good/inexpensive mod....then I added aftermarked exhaust and tips....the car then really sounded good...but as the exhaust/mufflers were finally breaking in, I found the interior noise level to get uncomfortable...I kept it that way for about 1 month then (due to driving clients from time-to-time) I opted to install a high flow resonator...solved the issue. I got good flow/sound with reduced interior noise....I will try and provide some sound clips from both interior and exterior....

when I had my CLK (320) I only did the exhaust and tips -- it sounded ok but the difference between the 2 engine sounds were night-and-day...maybe because the 350 has two exhaust (besides being a stronger v6)
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 AM

....just noticed my 'signature' (resonator delete)....I better fix it now LOL...

(high flow resonator)
Old 09-13-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LB Bnz
sorry but no sound clips...what I did was: initially removed the resonator and kept the stock exhaust (for about 3-5 months) got used to the sound -- it sounded real good when I would let loose on the roads (carefully driving fast ) -- I went with 'x' pipe

to best describe it, it didn't have the 'girgle' or 'throatiness' of a V8 but it sounded better than stock...besides losing an add'l 20+ lbs, it was a very good/inexpensive mod....then I added aftermarked exhaust and tips....the car then really sounded good...but as the exhaust/mufflers were finally breaking in, I found the interior noise level to get uncomfortable...I kept it that way for about 1 month then (due to driving clients from time-to-time) I opted to install a high flow resonator...solved the issue. I got good flow/sound with reduced interior noise....I will try and provide some sound clips from both interior and exterior....

when I had my CLK (320) I only did the exhaust and tips -- it sounded ok but the difference between the 2 engine sounds were night-and-day...maybe because the 350 has two exhaust (besides being a stronger v6)
So, the X came out good for you then? How was the deepness in the sound? Any difference at startup (I love it when you hear a car start with a nice sound). 20 lbs !?!?!? Damn, I'm sure that helped a little with performance.

The C-class guys are saying (since they can only go with straight) that they didn't lose anything with the straight, but then again, their cars are completely different.

Also, I figured with the evosport pulley and powerchip I'll get later (if the powers that be allow me to) it would help more, the resonator delete that is.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ahh, so you got extra interior noise with the resonator delete? Was it considerably louder or just a hair? It seems like different people have different opinions on that.

I'd do it for some extra sound, I just don't want my car to sound like a rice-burner or have a nasty "something's broken" sound.

And yeah, these 3.5 Motors sound really good, I kind of like the way the actual Motor itself sounds when you get on it, sounds really wicked.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
Ahh, so you got extra interior noise with the resonator delete? Was it considerably louder or just a hair? It seems like different people have different opinions on that.

I'd do it for some extra sound, I just don't want my car to sound like a rice-burner or have a nasty "something's broken" sound.

And yeah, these 3.5 Motors sound really good, I kind of like the way the actual Motor itself sounds when you get on it, sounds really wicked.
with just the resonator delete (and stock mufflers) there was no change in the interior noise...only when I added the aftermarket mufflers + resonator delete is when the interior noise became noticeable and eventually louder as the mufflers were getting 'broken in'. If you're going to just delete the resonator and keep stock mufflers, you'll be fine. its a good mod.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

with just the resonator delete (and stock mufflers) there was no change in the interior noise...only when I added the aftermarket mufflers + resonator delete is when the interior noise became noticeable and eventually louder as the mufflers were getting 'broken in'. If you're going to just delete the resonator and keep stock mufflers, you'll be fine. its a good mod.
Exactly what I was looking for. Big concern for me was interior noise (even though 90% of the time I'm by myself and drive with the music blasting with windows up or down).
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Noticed something interesting. Washing my dad's CL500 I couldn't find a resonator underneath the car on the exhaust (it's stock). Gonna ask the CL boys about this one.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM

2005 E500 Sport
Just did a resonator (delete) replacement with High Flow resonators and Xpipe. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Resonator Delete-2008_0912exhaustperformance0015.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Rennlaufer
Just did a resonator (delete) replacement with High Flow resonators and Xpipe. Here's a pic.
Any major sound difference?