E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Wheel Whinning Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Rear Wheel Whinning Noise

My 2003 E500 has a high pitched whinning noise coming from the right rear wheel when I'm traveling between 51 - 53 MPH. It occurs when I let up on the gas and just coasting. It's also prevalent during the summer days......not noticeable during winter. It's not real loud but just annoys me. I don't think it's the tire since only the right rear wheel still makes the noisess after I rotate my wheels. When I asked my MB Dealer to check it out during my last service they indicated it's the tires but I don't agree with that assessment. Anyone know what this might be.......maybe a wheel bearing?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
I'd bet it's the bearing, after having gone thru it on my front right this summer. If that's what it turns out to be, rethink your committment to that dealer. JMO !
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by SPNJHockey
I'd bet it's the bearing, after having gone thru it on my front right this summer. If that's what it turns out to be, rethink your committment to that dealer. JMO !
They test drove my vehicle while it was in for the A Service last Friday and they still indicate they can't hear the noise.......they still think it's tire noise. They asked me to do a test drive with them the next time I bring the vehicle in for the additional Service Campaign items I've asked them to fix. And they did find loose ball joints during their own inspection of the vehicle which they will fix under the warranty next week.......good job on their part finding this!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Just checked the invoice of my wheel bearing repair: did your tech use a "chassis locator?" Didn't even know it existed ('cause I'm not a mechanic), and apparently that's what Prestige in Paramus NJ used to locate the origin of my wheel noise. Check your invoice, Bro.

And they did find loose ball joints during their own inspection of the vehicle which they will fix under the warranty next week.......good job on their part finding this.
Agreed!