E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lens replacement...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Question Lens replacement...

is on the way, hopefully. I just bought a pair of non Xenon headlights and I need to take the new lenses and put them on my old Xenon headlights. How labor intensive is this project. I did a search in the forums but no clear answers. If you have a post or two please direct me, or if you can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Or, is it even possible to switch between the two lens types?

Last edited by Compton; 10-28-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 AM

So you just need to replace the clear front plastic covering of the old headlights with the new headlights? I was actually going to do this a while back and changed my mind but from my understanding, after you unscrew everything the only thing keeping the plastic covering on the headlight unit is glue. And I was told if I put the headlight in the oven at around 350 for about 10 minutes that the glue would get weak enough were it can easily pull apart. And then from there you can purchase new glue and glue it back. But I have NOT tried this, so I'm not exactly sure if it would work. Can any others confirm?

Originally Posted by Compton
is on the way, hopefully. I just bought a pair of non Xenon headlights and I need to take the new lenses and put them on my old Xenon headlights. How labor intensive is this project. I did a search in the forums but no clear answers. If you have a post or two please direct me, or if you can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Or, is it even possible to switch between the two lens types?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I think that you will be able to better asses what to do when you get the headlights and you can look at them from all the different angles. I hear that you can change the lens though.

FYI, I have a set of non-xenon headlights in PERFECT condition with a 3M clear-bra on them. If anyone is also needing a set of headlights, send me a PM.

Steve
Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Use a heat gun to heat up the edge of the housing/lens... as the lens is sealed to the housing with sealer. WEAR GLOVES to avoid finger prints..I have changed several..
Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 PM

2004 E320
Hmmm...

erifly, yea I just need to change the lens because everything else works good on the original headlights.

Mark, when you did the switch how long was the project?

Thanks for all your responses.