E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Chassis features & significance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Chassis features & significance

In thinking ahead to maybe replacing my 2004 E500 in 2009 or 2010, I've been attracted to the photos of the E-coupe replacement of the CLK next year. Most commentators have said the chassis will be the C class chassis. So the question I have is what is the significance of this. How is an E chassis "better" than a C chassis or isn't it? I assume the differences between a C and an E would be geometry, suspension complexity, etc. But is there a qualitative difference or is it just size? Will driving an E coupe be an inferior experience to dirivng an E sedan? Thoughts appreciated.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudegar
In thinking ahead to maybe replacing my 2004 E500 in 2009 or 2010, I've been attracted to the photos of the E-coupe replacement of the CLK next year. Most commentators have said the chassis will be the C class chassis. So the question I have is what is the significance of this. How is an E chassis "better" than a C chassis or isn't it? I assume the differences between a C and an E would be geometry, suspension complexity, etc. But is there a qualitative difference or is it just size? Will driving an E coupe be an inferior experience to dirivng an E sedan? Thoughts appreciated.
A couple of points, apparently the E coupe will actually be based on the E class chassis, bit this is not 100% confirmed yet, I will keep checking on this because it very much interests me too.

The E chassis is different in many ways from the C chassis, and I prefer the E much more. The one huge qualitative difference between them is that the E chassis can have airmatic.

If the E coupe is actually an E chassis, I would buy it, but I would not buy a C-based coupe. If it is an E coupe, it will be similar to an E sedan but probably a bit more numble, as the C123 and C124 were compared to the W models.

The CLK models had/have nothing in common with the E classes of the time.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
A couple of points, apparently the E coupe will actually be based on the E class chassis, bit this is not 100% confirmed yet, I will keep checking on this because it very much interests me too.

The E chassis is different in many ways from the C chassis, and I prefer the E much more. The one huge qualitative difference between them is that the E chassis can have airmatic.

If the E coupe is actually an E chassis, I would buy it, but I would not buy a C-based coupe. If it is an E coupe, it will be similar to an E sedan but probably a bit more numble, as the C123 and C124 were compared to the W models.

Ya, C class chassis + E Class price = Not worth it. The CLK never even got the supercharged V8 engine like the E55. I've also heard they are coming out with a C-class coupe. The 2010 CL will also be an S coupe. I love the CL name plate. The CL represents the top of the Mercedes lineup, nothing even comes close. IMO the CL is THE BEST all around car: sporty coupe, ultimate luxury, and top of the line features. The problem with the Mercedes lineup is they have too many models. I think they have to really do some triming (especially in a market like this). I also think the reason Benz's depreciate so much is because of the C-class model. It's happened numerous times when I was in my 02 CL that my friend's thought it was my sister's 07 C230. I'd just look at them as WTF, are you serious!?!?!?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim

If you find a chassis clue, let us know!