E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hardwire v1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Hardwire v1

My E has about 500+ miles now... and as I approach the end of break-in.. the v1 is definitely going to see more use.. so I think I'm going to have to hardwire my v1 myself. My dealer's service dept basically said they don't do it, and don't have any "subs" that come out for that sort of thing. I'm going to get a hold of my salesman tomorrow and see if I can get him to work out a solution for me.

Meanwhile, I KNOW someone on here has had their v1's hardwired.. and don't mind doing it myself... I am prepped to go get the spade lug fuses and run it to the truck.. but is there a "open slot" in the driver fuse box? Seems like it would be a piece of cake from there.. rather than running wires from the trunk. ALso, what unused slots/fuses are switched power anyone know (either trunk of drivers box)?

Any suggestions or pix would be welcomed... even if some of you had someone else do it (i.e. dealer) but know WHERE or how... just drop me a hint ;-) I'll work on it.. and MAYBE create a DIY for the W211.

Thanks
Peter
Old 01-11-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Peter

Go to the Audio forum and take a look at Timsters post
"Looky what I found"...he had the dealer install a V60 and has a bunch of information that you are looking for.

Ed
Old 01-11-2003, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Re: Hardwire v1

Originally posted by NitroShredder
My E has about 500+ miles now... and as I approach the end of break-in.. the v1 is definitely going to see more use.. so I think I'm going to have to hardwire my v1 myself. My dealer's service dept basically said they don't do it, and don't have any "subs" that come out for that sort of thing. I'm going to get a hold of my salesman tomorrow and see if I can get him to work out a solution for me.

Meanwhile, I KNOW someone on here has had their v1's hardwired.. and don't mind doing it myself... I am prepped to go get the spade lug fuses and run it to the truck.. but is there a "open slot" in the driver fuse box? Seems like it would be a piece of cake from there.. rather than running wires from the trunk. ALso, what unused slots/fuses are switched power anyone know (either trunk of drivers box)?

Any suggestions or pix would be welcomed... even if some of you had someone else do it (i.e. dealer) but know WHERE or how... just drop me a hint ;-) I'll work on it.. and MAYBE create a DIY for the W211.

Thanks
Peter

Not the same car but this might help:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...entine+install
Old 01-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Done by the dealer...
Old 01-13-2003, 08:05 AM

2003 E500
Guys, thanks for your help. Thanks Nick for the pic. Apparently the service dept don't have a clue... but my salesman said they "sub contract" out to a Car Stereo place for all the radar installs and other audio stuff. He gave me their name and number... and it's $45 "while you wait."

Although, I'm wondering if I should book it thru the dealer (and have them charge me the dealer "fee") or just go direct. I'm worried if they mess it up if I'll be "covered" by warranty at all. I'll check with them today. The Car Stereo place apparently does lots of MB's and radars so I don't think it would be an issue.Just paranoid ;-)

Peter
Old 01-14-2003, 03:18 AM

w203 w211 c 219 w230 w164
My image size is too big to be displayed, maybe you guys can just see my imagestation to see how I did it.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290835727
Old 01-14-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Originally posted by howard500
My image size is too big to be displayed, maybe you guys can just see my imagestation to see how I did it.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290835727
Difficult to learn anything from the pics ... they are quite underexposed and there no commentaries as to step-by-step procedures, which wires to select, etc.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM

2003 E500
I agree. Nice job Howard.. only wish there were some "instructions" along with the pix.. and some of the pix are a little "fuzzy."

Where did you mount the V1 and where did the wires go from the units to the module under the gear shifter.

Thanks
Peter
Old 01-14-2003, 02:52 PM

E500 Sport
Howard,

that was one hell of a job! Werent you afraid to play around with the car's wiring?

And whats the main advantage of hard-wiring? No dangling cord going into the lighter?
Old 01-15-2003, 08:51 AM

'03 E320
Smile V1 installation

I asked my dealer who they used for audio installations, drove the .5 miles to their location, they quoted 1 hour ($50) to install. I thought about it for 2 days, went back and they installed it within 30 mins while I waited, and they were able to tap into keyed power above the rear view mirror, where all the sensors are located. BTW, I placed it on the passenger side of the mirror, but had them leave enough play in the wire to relocate to drivers side, just in case.
Haven't changed locations, and all is working properly, and no damage to any of the trim pieces.
In case I want to remove, it is realatively easy and straight forward.
Suggest that you locate reputable audio installer in your area, or one that the dealer uses.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:03 PM

Does anyone know how to remove the light console where the reading lights, sunroof control, mirror are attached. I always found it easiest to find switched power in that area in my previous BMW's. I know the lens must remove easily to change the bulbs, but I don't what to damage them with a screwdriver or snap any clips that may be holding the console in place.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:25 PM

E500
Since he is lazy to write out, i will try to post on what he told me over the phone, u just open up the ashtray and the cup holder. Some force (with feeling) might be applied to remove the transmission. Of course once it is taken out there will be "broken" noise. When you see a bunch of cables seen in the picture, take out the thickest cable which happen to be red and white. and just clipped on it. For the ground cable, just plug with any metal in the cigarette lighter..

Hope that works.
p.s. be careful at the air bag sensor as it may blow up anytime.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:15 PM

I would also be interested in how to remove the plastic bulb cover on the overhead unit...anyone done it yet?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:04 AM

2003 E500
I haven't tried getting into the overhead console area..but the manual shows you how.. in the section on how to open the sunroof MANUALLY with the included crank. You need to remove one trim piece.... and then there's an opening where you can use the crank... it even looked like that little piece would pop out to give further access into the console area as well.

Peter