E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Keyless go? Can you treat the car like it does not have keyless go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Dude... the key never leaves your pocket. How can you forget it unless you're naked?

Many people do not like things in their pockets, particularly when seated and belted. In the W211, thankfully, you can put the fob/key in the ignition just like a normal non Keyless Go key. But the Lexus system (and the GM system, and I belive the Infiniti/Nissan system) doesn't have that option. So the fob winds up in a door pocket, ashtray, console, or other storage cubby. Then, 10 to 40 years of car driving experience tells you that when you park your car, you turn the key off, and continuing to hold it in your hand, bring it with you when you leave the car. Not having the key in your hand when you turn off the car interrupts that established pattern of behavior, and makes it pretty likely that the fob will get left behind whevever you stashed it, leaving the car unlocked. And if you are a "car as appliance" Lexus type, driving a Lexus that is very quiet at idle, you might even leave it running.

Back to the MB W211 system which is the subject of the thread, again, I remain pleased they let us folks who dislike change have the option of pretending the car doesn't have keyless go.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Back to the MB W211 system which is the subject of the thread, again, I remain pleased they let us folks who dislike change have the option of pretending the car doesn't have keyless go.
Hmmm, are you the CEO of GM?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Many people do not like things in their pockets, particularly when seated and belted. In the W211, thankfully, you can put the fob/key in the ignition just like a normal non Keyless Go key. But the Lexus system (and the GM system, and I belive the Infiniti/Nissan system) doesn't have that option. So the fob winds up in a door pocket, ashtray, console, or other storage cubby. Then, 10 to 40 years of car driving experience tells you that when you park your car, you turn the key off, and continuing to hold it in your hand, bring it with you when you leave the car. Not having the key in your hand when you turn off the car interrupts that established pattern of behavior, and makes it pretty likely that the fob will get left behind whevever you stashed it, leaving the car unlocked. And if you are a "car as appliance" Lexus type, driving a Lexus that is very quiet at idle, you might even leave it running.

It will be interesting to see if they maintain this design. If I had to bet, I would think the W212 will be like the 164 ML - I think the START/STOP button replaces the keyhole in the dash on those. And probably the R and GL as well, although I have not seen any of those with Keyless-Go in person.

I agree, I do like having both options - the keyhole if needed and the button if desired.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM

a noob question, how do u lock the car?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
It will be interesting to see if they maintain this design. If I had to bet, I would think the W212 will be like the 164 ML - I think the START/STOP button replaces the keyhole in the dash on those. And probably the R and GL as well, although I have not seen any of those with Keyless-Go in person.

I agree, I do like having both options - the keyhole if needed and the button if desired.
I think you are exactly right - the keyhole will go away, and Keyless Go will likely become standard across the board, or if not standard, it will be part of a "they all get ordered that way" option package.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
I think you are exactly right - the keyhole will go away, and Keyless Go will likely become standard across the board, or if not standard, it will be part of a "they all get ordered that way" option package.
Who knows the way Mercedes operates... On the W210 E55 AMG, Xenon lighting was standard. On the W211 E55 AMG, it is an option. It would really stink to have a W211 E55 with halogens because some idiot dealer ordered it that way.

Based off that, they may still continue to have the keyhole for the base models, but I would assume Keyless-Go will still be an option for them to get more money from, and that it will be like the ML and eliminate the "standard" ignition.

There was a thread started a while back regarding the ENGINE START/STOP button getting to too hot in the summer heat and some people investigated retrofitting the ML type button to cover up the conventional keyhole so it would not be in direct sunlight.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by mike82y
a noob question, how do u lock the car?
Either press the lock button on the Smart Key when you exit the vehicle, or...

Each door handle has a square black button on the outer edge of the handle. You press any of these buttons to lock the car. The inside of each handle has a rubber pad switch inside, facing the painted surface of the door, which when squeezed by your fingers when you pull on the handle sends a signal to the car if you have the smartkey in your pocket, to unlock the doors.