E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Keyless go? Can you treat the car like it does not have keyless go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless go? Can you treat the car like it does not have keyless go?

Let's say you've got a W211 with Keyless go. Keyless go works fine, but you just don't like it. Can you operate the vehicle as if it does not have keyless go? In other words, can you use the key fob in the ignition to start and turn off the car, use the remote buttons on the key fob to lock and unlock the car, and just pretend that the start/stop button on the shifter isn't even there?

If this is the case, a followup question what if the keyless go is on the fritz - can you continue acting in this manner? i.e. if Keyless go acts up, can you still lock/unlock/start/turn off the car by using the key fob in the ignition and pushing the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock the doors?

Ran across an 05 E500 for sale that appears perfect except that it has keyless go, one of the options I'm trying to avoid.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, you can use it as though it does not have keyless go.

It is a good idea to get it, since it will really help resale.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Yes, E class unique car, all other makes lacking in keeping normal car operation.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I've had 2 W211's (04 & 07) with Keyless Go and have never had any problems with it. Once in a while, you might have to move the smart key a little bit in your pocket because it's behind some change & the car can't "see" it, but, no problem that would cause me to avoid Keyless Go.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-22-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:05 PM

CL500 216
I have used it now for 2½ years,, only once did it not recognize the key,,10 mins later it worked fine,, its almost my best option, and I love it
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Never had a problem and everyone I know thats come in contact with it thinks its a great idea...really great system, especially for forgetting to close windows upon exiting the car!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Yes, you can use it as though it does not have keyless go.

It is a good idea to get it, since it will really help resale.
No flame but . Look at how MB values have tanked. On resale, trade--in all seem to want the options but only pay for a base model. There are plenty of threads on MBW on this.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 PM

E-320 2003
Question keyless start/shut down is not working

Hello!
Since my car was towed away and subsequently was changed battery .
My kyless knob on the shifter stop recognize the key. On display message asking me to shift to parking while car already in that mode.Than everything freeze and i have to either disconnect car battery or play ON AND OFF with my key countless times till it turn off so i can start my car with the key.
Not if it so important to me, but still i was enjoying start it without key.
Any suggestions i will be pleased to fix this problem
My car MB E-320 2003 model
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
No flame but . Look at how MB values have tanked. On resale, trade--in all seem to want the options but only pay for a base model. There are plenty of threads on MBW on this.
Sorry, it's not BS. I was not referring to the dealers who low-ball on nicely optioned cars. It is the reason most of them have stripped down models on the new or used lots.

To a future private, options are what sets each car apart from the others.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Sorry, it's not BS. I was not referring to the dealers who low-ball on nicely optioned cars. It is the reason most of them have stripped down models on the new or used lots.

To a future private, options are what sets each car apart from the others.
+1

It of course depends on the buyer, but I would not buy an E without it unless I got it for nothing. I love the feature - I use my car for business and carry a lot of stuff with me - it is wonderful to have an arms load full of stuff and not have to reach in my pocket and dig for keys before I load up the trunk or rear seat.

I think it is an excellent option and I paid much more for my car since it was well equipped - the idea of having a stripped E-class is beyond me.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Let's say you've got a W211 with Keyless go. Keyless go works fine, but you just don't like it. Can you operate the vehicle as if it does not have keyless go? In other words, can you use the key fob in the ignition to start and turn off the car, use the remote buttons on the key fob to lock and unlock the car, and just pretend that the start/stop button on the shifter isn't even there?

If this is the case, a followup question what if the keyless go is on the fritz - can you continue acting in this manner? i.e. if Keyless go acts up, can you still lock/unlock/start/turn off the car by using the key fob in the ignition and pushing the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock the doors?

Ran across an 05 E500 for sale that appears perfect except that it has keyless go, one of the options I'm trying to avoid.
There is NO reason to avoid it. If the Keyless-Go system fails completely the car operates as a normal E-class as others have said.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Sorry, but your reponse is not logical. If you had two used cars for sale and one had more (and better) options than the other, which one would sell more quickly?

Now, if you're saying that one might not get back as much money on a resale on a better optioned car due to the fact that prices are falling in general, than that's different.

But Unterturkheim simply said "it will help in resale." And it will. I would buy a car that has good options before I'd buy one with no options. And if resale prices are tanking on all cars, then I'm ahead as a buyer. But the car with the better options will sell first......
Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I think it is an excellent option and I paid much more for my car since it was well equipped - the idea of having a stripped E-class is beyond me.
x10

I had Comfort Access on my BMWs and I refuse to do without it. Fumbling with keys is no fun esp with hands full of stuff, etc..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Yuzuk
Hello!
Since my car was towed away and subsequently was changed battery .
My kyless knob on the shifter stop recognize the key. On display message asking me to shift to parking while car already in that mode.Than everything freeze and i have to either disconnect car battery or play ON AND OFF with my key countless times till it turn off so i can start my car with the key.
Not if it so important to me, but still i was enjoying start it without key.
Any suggestions i will be pleased to fix this problem
My car MB E-320 2003 model
Easy. You need to take the car to the dealer and have them re-sync the key with the car. Unfortunately you need the computer to do this.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info! Pleased to see how MB chose to incorporate the keyless function with a full redundant normal key system for those of us who don't like the idea of a start button.

I understand how some of y'all like it, buthere are my personal preference reasons for disliking keyless go: I just like to be able to put a key in the ignition and turn it to start the car. The ignition also provides a handy place to store your key when driving. If you turn the key to turn the car off, you are more likely to keep the key in your hand and take it with you when you leave the car. Several friends with keyless fob systems have left their cars running (a very quiet Lexus) and unlocked, or left them unlocked because they have the fob in the console and forget about it when leaving the car.

I tend to agree that more options will help with resale, but only a little bit. You're not going to get anywhere near what the option cost new, and it might turn people off. E.G. I won't buy a car with distronic. And while it sounds like Keyless Go will work for me because I can work around it, if another car appears that does not have Keyless Go I would pick that one instead.

On the other hand, part of me wants a low option E350 - a LOT less complexity, which is a plus for keeping the car long term without going crazy. Coil springs v. air springs, 2 zone climate control v. 4 zone, etc....
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the other hand, part of me wants a low option E350 - a LOT less complexity, which is a plus for keeping the car long term without going crazy. Coil springs v. air springs, 2 zone climate control v. 4 zone, etc....
That's probably a good idea if you are going to keep the car long term. The cars overall are built good - most of the complaints stem from electronic malfunctions.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM

2013 GL450
Before folks start to dog pile on my 2 euro cents worth, understand I am no expert and this is just an observation based on "my" experience with "my" car.

I like Keyless go as it is merely a sensored option that allows you to jump in the car and get going without fumbling for the key as some of the other members mentioned. It works great for me and is quite impressive to folks who don't see it everyday and IS a great feature for resale. I didn't see the need for the electronic trunk closer when I bought my car so I didn't get it as an option and then one day...hands full of groceries trying to close the trunk my first thought was "I should have taken the blue pill."

It's all a matter of taste but I've learned that having the option is far better than wishing you had the option.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by n-yo-dreamz
Before folks start to dog pile on my 2 euro cents worth, ..... I didn't see the need for the electronic trunk closer when I bought my car so I didn't get it as an option and then one day...hands full of groceries trying to close the trunk my first thought was "I should have taken the blue pill."

It's all a matter of taste but I've learned that having the option is far better than wishing you had the option.
Why were you hands still full of groceries and the trunk empty? Didn't you have to let go of something in order to put something into the trunk? Did someone else load something into the trunk and left you holding the bags?

(j/k)
Old 11-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
It's funny.... People that have something, may not want it, but others that don't have it - wish they did.

I buy something for ME. In my case, with all the bells and whistles. I'm not concerned about how my car will hold up in a resale. Ultimately, I'm not taking it with me, so I'm gonna enjoy it while I can.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like Keyless go as it is merely a sensored option that allows you to jump in the car and get going without fumbling for the key as some of the other members mentioned. It works great for me and is quite impressive to folks who don't see it everyday and IS a great feature for resale. I didn't see the need for the electronic trunk closer when I bought my car so I didn't get it as an option and then one day...hands full of groceries trying to close the trunk my first thought was "I should have taken the blue pill."
Yeah, I'm no longer a Luddite. I used to damn all the tech stuff in the world.

Until I realized I was acting that way in an attempt to cover up my own personal fear of change. Change is uncomfortable, humans find comfort in routine.

Then I decided to quit washing my clothes by hand in the river.

And now I'm much more productive in my life.

TTopJohn, an old dog can learn new tricks. Stick the key in your pocket and join the club. It's not as hard as you think. If your friends are leaving their cars running and forget to lock their cars, then they have other issues and it's got nothing to do with Keyless Go.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:00 PM

CL500 216
My keyless go is the olderone with the credit card that stays in my wallet,,where ever I go the card goes so never whave to think about a key.
TTopJohn says that he would not have distronic,,well thats another fantastic thing that I would not be without.

Anyway my car has every possible extra and I can use them if I wish to,, but I long for nothing
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
Thats hilarious because I almost bought an ML350 back in 2007 but didn't because it didn't come with keyless go!

I have Keyless Go on my 2008 E550 and won't buy a car without it AGAIN ... EVER!! Thats how much I love it.

Yes, you can use the fob (which also has a little key hidden incase you need to unlock the car manually).

Over a year since I've had my E550, no problems AT ALL. I LOVE IT.

Anyone who doesn't has probably never used it (in your case) or has screws loose (which might be you as well

Vik

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several friends with keyless fob systems have left their cars running (a very quiet Lexus) and unlocked, or left them unlocked because they have the fob in the console and forget about it when leaving the car.
That's not surprising for the a Toyota driver (Had to take that one!)

The Mercedes Keyless-Go system probably operates different than the one on the Toyota. On the Mercedes, when the car is locked and you approach it, you gently pull the door handle and it will send a signal to the key searching for it. If it is detected at the door you are attempting to open, a solenoid "pops" the door latch to open the door and also unlock the drivers door. You can optionally have it unlock all doors when this happens.

Then when you get in the car, you press the ENGINE START/STOP button to start the car, or of course you can use the SmartKey in the ignition. When you exit the car, the car does NOT lock automatically like some cars when the key leaves the proximity. Instead, you either have to

1. Press the lock button on the SmartKey the same way a Mercedes without Keyless-Go operates, or

2. Press any one for the black buttons on any four of the door handles. This will lock all of the doors. If you hold this button on the door handle, it will also raise all of the windows and close the sunroof. The key must be detected with you even to lock the car. If it is not, the car will not lock. If it is detected inside the car, it will not lock and you will receive a warning on the cluster saying that the key is located in the car. It will even detect it in the trunk.

To confirm locking with the SmartKey or the Keyless-Go buttons on the door handle, you will receive audible feedback from the alarm siren in addition to flashing the parking lights.

It really is a great technology and is well thought out. If the key is detected in the trunk, the electronic trunk closer will refuse to operate. If the key is an inch or so outside the door, the car will not start. If you have a passenger with the key in their pocket and drop off the passenger (with key) and continue to drive the car (without shutting it off) you will receive a red warning on the cluster notifying you the key is not detected in the vehicle. You will be fine as long as you do not shut it off - it will not turn off automatically.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Thanks for the info! Pleased to see how MB chose to incorporate the keyless function with a full redundant normal key system for those of us who don't like the idea of a start button.

I understand how some of y'all like it, buthere are my personal preference reasons for disliking keyless go: I just like to be able to put a key in the ignition and turn it to start the car. The ignition also provides a handy place to store your key when driving. If you turn the key to turn the car off, you are more likely to keep the key in your hand and take it with you when you leave the car. Several friends with keyless fob systems have left their cars running (a very quiet Lexus) and unlocked, or left them unlocked because they have the fob in the console and forget about it when leaving the car.

I tend to agree that more options will help with resale, but only a little bit. You're not going to get anywhere near what the option cost new, and it might turn people off. E.G. I won't buy a car with distronic. And while it sounds like Keyless Go will work for me because I can work around it, if another car appears that does not have Keyless Go I would pick that one instead.

Dude... the key never leaves your pocket. How can you forget it unless you're naked?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 AM

2013 GL450
Why were you hands still full of groceries and the trunk empty? Didn't you have to let go of something in order to put something into the trunk? Did someone else load something into the trunk and left you holding the bags?

(j/k)
LOL I remember one of the reasons why I didn't get the trunk closer is because it wasn't on the key! I mean how hard could that be to engineer ya know what I mean? Perhaps it's an option on the Maybach!?!

I love having my car started before my a$$ is all the way in the seat...the TV show car start in real life!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keyless go? Can you treat the car like it does not have keyless go?