w211 vs. Volvo S80 Elite

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Honda Accord EX V6
Question w211 vs. Volvo S80 Elite

Hi all!

A couple days ago I went to the LA auto show and sat inside the w211 for the first time. Personally, the front seats were good, but the back was cramped and stiff. Later on that they, my family came across the volvo area and found that they made an S80 Elite. It just like a regular S80 T6 (268hp 280tq) but it has 2 7" tv in the headrests, special leather, the car is 4.5 inches longer, some other toys to play with. But overall does anyone have an experience or recommendations between the S80 elite and the e class. Oh, another thing my family considered was that the volvo was almost 10k cheaper than the w211 we were looking into.

Thanks for responses in advanced!
Old 01-13-2003, 01:21 AM

I have owned two Volvos recently - a '95 850 turbo and a '98 V70R (all pre-Fjord), and now with my W211 E500, I can say with absolutely no hesitation that they are entirely different cars. Granted, I didn't drive the S80, but it's likely just a larger version of the 70 series, with a slightly larger engine. While I loved my Volvos, they simply are not in the same class - not in power, not in luxury, not in technology, not in service, just not. Great cars for the money, and certainly durable, but not much of a comparison - sort of apples and oranges...

JMHO
Old 01-13-2003, 01:58 AM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
I still own a Volvo S80 T6 after buying my E500

I can say from personal experience, there is no comparison between the two.

First off, 268 HP in a front wheel drive car is extremely useless. Anytime there is even a hint of wheelspin the traction control kicks in. If you turn it off, they will spin and you'll go nowhere fast. Quality control may be an issue for MB, but it is much worse for Volvo. This hasn't always been true but it is today.

The S80 is larger inside but for the rear passengers in the E211 there is plenty of room if the front passengers are not all the way back. The front seats in the E can be adjusted to fit well and with the easy entry I've got mine set to provide plenty of room in the back.

The ride, handling etc doesn't compare to the Airmatic DC, but little else does either.

The seats are more comfortable in the Volvo but I prefer not to spend multiple hours in a car for any reason if possible. I'd rather fly and rent than put the miles on a mercedes or volvo.

Finally, and I'm abbreviating my comments on the Volvo, the doors ding so easily on the Volvo you'll be praying for relief. The shape of the doors and the thinnes of the skins makes them an irresistable target for careless dingleberrys.

Oh wait, RESALE value will blow your mind.

Mine was 47k new and after four years is worth 14k!, great resale huh? The money you may save up front will not make up for this.

I could add countless other issues but I'll save it.