Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 03:38 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery

Hey guys, I'm new on this forum. Found out about it from the BenzWord site.

I was wondering if u guys could help me out. I'm expecting deilvery of my E320 Avantgarde in a few days (Can't wait!!). Anyway, just wondering from those of you who own an E, what to look out for when picking up the vehicle.

I mean, I know to check stuff like evidence of damage that hasn't been fixed, poor detailing, the spare tyre, wheel alignment, tyre pressures etc.

Anything else specific?

Thanks in advance.

Jules
Old 01-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Congrats on your order! I took delivery this past Saturday on an E320. I told them not to detail since I wanted to Zaino it myself. Except for a somewhat dirty interior, everything was great! I drove it about 150 miles between Saturday and Sunday and did not experience any of the issues that have been discussed on this forum (by the way, my car was built on 12/6 so hopefully some of the issues are being addressed at the factory). I completely Zainoed the car, two coats, the first was Z5 and the second was Z2 both after a Dawn wash, a clay job, and then a Z7 wash. It was cold in the Northeast so it wasn't a perfect clay job but I was more concerned about getting a seal on the car then having a perfect finish. I will clay again in the spring. I have to say, MB takes great car in getting the cars from Germany to dealership! The body and paint were in perfect condition. No marks, etc. Anyway, ordered in October, built on 12/6, hit port (Baltimore) on 12/28 and delivered on 1/11. A very long wait (for an obsessed buyer) but the car is absolutely fantastic!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:22 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
They do a very nice job on "body and paint in perfect condition", but sometimes it's the VPC that gets it that way. This article discusses the partnership with Glasurit and the VPC's: "The Mercedes-Benz VPCs are the final quality inspection points, at which transportation damage is repaired before the vehicles are delivered to dealerships."

http://www.basf.com/static/OpenMarke...c-Article.html

You hate to think about it, but damage does occur, and this way MB has a "factory quality" body shop to make everything right, again. I have seen no evidence of anything amiss on any of mine, so the process must work. It takes the local dealer body shop out of the paint quality equation for most deliveries (pre-trucking). I once got a new '83, Orient Red, when they still had color-matched wheel covers. On the wheel cover there was a streak of dark blue paint--'never wanted to really know how that got there!