E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Loud idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 10:44 AM

Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
Loud idle

When my 2008 Mercedes Benz E 350 idles it is way loud - it rattles very loudly almost reminiscent of an old diesel (certainly much louder than my old Pontiac or my S/Os BMW). I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have it looked at. Does anyone have any idea what the noise could be? I want to be armed with some information - my dealership sometimes needs additional pursuasion to get things done (When my front strut had to be replaced they initially told me it was a rattle in my dash board).

Update: Just got back from the dealership where they "fixed" the problem by replacing my engine mounts. The car still makes the same noise and now I also have a seat and steering wheel that vibrate!!

I know my question is not loaded with cool pics of mods I've done to my car, but I would really appreciate someone with some knowledge responding with an idea of what this problem might be. (I know it's not the engine mounts!) I'd like to go into the dealership tomorrow morning armed with some knowledge to throw at the SA.

Last edited by BenzBee; 12-08-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-09-2008 | 08:27 PM

Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
Update Two: Loose Fuel Line

Yikes! Just got my car back from the dealership. Turns out the noise in my engine was caused by a loose fuel line!!! FYI in case anyone else have this problem.