E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does your E do this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS
Does your E do this?

I have had my E for three months and am delighted - this is particularly important to those new to the forum thinking about getting the 2003 E as its tempting to think the feedback here can sometimes be a bit negative.

I do have a couple of quetions about the new car though that I would like to ask fellow E owners - I have looked through the forum but have not seen any reference.

Firstly, whilst there has been alot written about the noises made by the brake system on start up etc, does anyone experience a "clunking" sound from the footwell occasionally when pulling away from a junction ? - it sounds mechanical - and just like the handbrake pedal sounds when it springs off. It does not happen every time, but when I pull out of a junction and turn into mainstream traffic its there - "clunk". Any ideas ? I cannot decide whether its the steering column or the brake pedal coming back.

Secondly, despite having had the aircon valve changed on the car, there is still a persistant wheezing sound coming from behind the dashboard (behind the clocks) that sounds just like the back of a refridgerator! You need to have the radio off and windows closed - but its there. And once you have tuned it to it is annoying. Any thoughts? The dealership acknowledge the sound but are not sure what to do next.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks guys

Marc

E270 CDI AVANTGARDE, SILVER, PANORAMIC ROOF, FULL GREY LEATHER, 17" UPGRADED ALLOYS, SPORTS SUSPENSION, 6CD CHANGER, XENON, SPLIT REAR SEATS, REAR AIRBAGS, FOLDING MIRRORS, AUTO
Old 01-15-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Re: Does your E do this?

Originally posted by marc777
Firstly, whilst there has been alot written about the noises made by the brake system on start up etc, does anyone experience a "clunking" sound from the footwell occasionally when pulling away from a junction ? - it sounds mechanical - and just like the handbrake pedal sounds when it springs off. It does not happen every time, but when I pull out of a junction and turn into mainstream traffic its there - "clunk". Any ideas ? I cannot decide whether its the steering column or the brake pedal coming back.
I don't have an E, but my dealer whas telling me this is a known problem with the 2003s. Apparently there is a piece of metal associated with the brake system that hits up against another piece of metal, I think maybe the frame of the car. This could be what's causing your "clunking" sound, as this is how this issue was described to me. If this is the problem, I believe it's a known issue. The service shops are fixing this by inserting padding between the two metal parts to prevent the sound.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:25 PM

2012 CLS
terrific. Thanks for that.

Just goes to show the power of the forum.

Marc
Old 01-20-2003, 12:02 PM

2000 E class, 2001 BMW 3 series
marc
since you are the only known diesel owner in this forum, let me tell you, you are not alone. Me too.

I just got delivery of the 270CDI few days back. Personally its a great car... I love it... Diesel has always been my choice.

However, wanted you personal views on the said car?
DO you think the engine makes a little extra noise than it shld or is it normal for the new engine?

I will post some pics in a day or 2... love to c yours too

Thanks
Old 01-20-2003, 12:37 PM

2012 CLS
The engine is definately noisier than I expected; but up to now I have put this down to having never had a diesel. I planned to mention it to the dealer when next visiting -

I ordered the car before they were in the showrooms - basically based on the pictures on the MB website. Nearer the date I took a C270 cdi out and was more shocked and pleasantly surprised about how quick it was than how much noise it made - and so my only experience is my car. I plan to compare it back to back with the C270 when next at the dealers as they have a couple of demonstrators.

Having said all the above, it took my wife three weeks to notice that it was a diesel - I'd kept it quiet from her because I knew she would pre-judge it! She has been very surprised.

It sounds like alot of the E500 owners on the forum have been concerned by the noise of their engines, and regardless whether its engine mounts or whatever, I wonder whether MB have cut back on the sound proofing generally. Or is it a legacy of aluminium bodywork transmitting the sound/vibration more effectively than the traditional steel? I'm not an engineer so I can only guess.

I am however delighted with the car, and am beginning to get used to the "growl" when we take off!!!!!!!! Its the rattle at the drive-in which is a little more disheartening - but I don't plan on letting it get to me.

Good to see you on the forum - will be interested to swap experiences. As you say, most of ther cars are petrol, and as i have stated in a couple of previous posts, this is becasue the CDi is not in the states, and with fuel as cheap as theirs why should they? Cost is another issue, in the UK the E270 with my options list was $52,500 US. (£35,000)

Marc
Old 01-20-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Neither of those problems on mine! the engine is louder than past MB's but its not a worry for me.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
His is noisier because he has a diesel