E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Biggest Complaint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Totally agree with Nobodyspecial. The classic look of the current model was the number one reason why I bought now, rather than waiting for the new version. I think it's just right, handsome but still nicely understated unlike the Dame Edna eyes and flame surfacing of the Bangle-debacle.

Indium, I guess they added audio to Parktronic in the MY09 cars(?) Mine beeps along with the lights. Although maybe in the front only, I've yet to have it light up or beep for the rear(?) p.s., I was tempted to get the E63. But I was nervous about Airmatic and mpg, of course. In fact, I went back to the dealer last week and wondered what they'd do for me if I traded my 3 month-old E350 for a new MY09 E63. I'd lose $10k (plus what I spent on tax and fees.)

Just curious, what's your mpg? I realize that it's not really an issue in the end, but I'm using my car as my DD and so it does kind of enter into things. (I have a 993 as my garage queen that can get pretty thirsty when pushed.)

Last edited by 220S; 12-25-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Agree with laiceps, don't like the current gen 5-series and the A6 is really boring, it looks just like an A4 just longer. Same with the A5. I don't know what people see in the A6 and A8 (I don't understand half the trends in this country, I guess I think in a different way). The E outside so suttle, but yet very elegant and underneath it's very sporty.

No audible on parktronic till 09? Your kidding? So they expect you to look the whole time at the screen? I'm sure you can add a beeper speaker to it. Maybe Steve from BenzNL would know.

The car is great though.

Airmatic is not an issue to me (as long as it works fine and doesn't go out, knock on wood ). I like how I can control it on the hop and the thing is OEM.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 944 Likes on 690 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
While I understand that the looks of a car is a very subjective thing I think that the current generation E-Class is the best looking car in its class. I really don't like the current 5 series after Chris Bangle had his way with it. And the current Audi A6 is a very boring looking car. The E-Class looks very elegant from the front but it does look a little bug eyed from the back (although in the dark the rear lights do look very distinct). From an elegance perspective the current E-Class is the benchmark by which every car in its class is measured by both externally and internally. Then again I am biased being on my second W211 E-class. Unfortunately the next-gen E-Class (W212) is going to fall below this benchmark judging from the pictures I've seen so far.
Ditto except for the A6 comment. I like the A6 back end but even though I own an older A4 I will never like the big mouth bass front end.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-25-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Ditto except for the A6 comment. I like the A6 back end but even though I own an older A4 I will never like the big mouth bass front end.
The Ten Most Beautiful Cars Currently for Sale (according to Jalopnik): http://jalopnik.com/5039531/ten-most...ently-for-sale Being a subjective matter I don't really agree with the list but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by #6. So much for my "boring comment"
Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by IndiumGreyE63
The car that spent the most time in the shop was my Lexus IS350, believe it or not
I believe it. My wife drives a RX350 and it has spent more time in the shop than any car I own. Odd stuff like the radio going out, sunroof not closing and so on. Who'da thunk it?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Originally Posted by 220S
Indium, I guess they added audio to Parktronic in the MY09 cars(?) Mine beeps along with the lights. Although maybe in the front only, I've yet to have it light up or beep for the rear(?) p.s., I was tempted to get the E63. But I was nervous about Airmatic and mpg, of course. In fact, I went back to the dealer last week and wondered what they'd do for me if I traded my 3 month-old E350 for a new MY09 E63. I'd lose $10k (plus what I spent on tax and fees.)

Just curious, what's your mpg? I realize that it's not really an issue in the end, but I'm using my car as my DD and so it does kind of enter into things. (I have a 993 as my garage queen that can get pretty thirsty when pushed.)
I'm sorry - I should have been more specific about the Parktronic. In one of my former cars, a BMW M3, it had the parking sensors. But it was audio only. As you got close to the object, it would beep slowly, and as you moved closer, it would beep progressively faster until it was a continuous tone. But with the MB it's just visual until you get really close and then the continuous tone. I am getting used to the MB system.

My average combined MPG is around 16 - but I have < 5 mile commute to work, no freeway. But it's more about Smiles Per Gallon for me...
Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
considering youre looking @ a 06, you probably wont deal with quite so many of the problems ive run into on my MY03. but seriously, look out for airmatic failures specifically. other than that, i have to say (unless youre made of money) these cars arent worth owning out of warranty. you'd be better off leasing a brand new one than owning one thats a few years old and out of warranty (and thus paying out the *** to keep it on the road when whatever goes wrong).
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 944 Likes on 690 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The Ten Most Beautiful Cars Currently for Sale (according to Jalopnik): http://jalopnik.com/5039531/ten-most...ently-for-sale Being a subjective matter I don't really agree with the list but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by #6. So much for my "boring comment"
A Cadillac CTS made the list. Not that it is a bad looking car but beautiful...I don't think so. I kind of liked them and when I stood in front of one at the car show with my GF she said it was ugly.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
While I understand that the looks of a car is a very subjective thing I think that the current generation E-Class is the best looking car in its class. I really don't like the current 5 series after Chris Bangle had his way with it. And the current Audi A6 is a very boring looking car. The E-Class looks very elegant from the front but it does look a little bug eyed from the back (although in the dark the rear lights do look very distinct). From an elegance perspective the current E-Class is the benchmark by which every car in its class is measured by both externally and internally. Then again I am biased being on my second W211 E-class. Unfortunately the next-gen E-Class (W212) is going to fall below this benchmark judging from the pictures I've seen so far.
I think it's because he has an '06 bare-looking CDI perhaps?

To me the 211 is completely enhanced 100% with the upgraded appearance options, such as the Appearance, or much better yet, AMG Packages. Without them, IMO it looks pretty bare-bones like its missing some flare.

My complaints of my car or 211's in general:
Drive By Wire is not as smooth as simpler setups.
Some small creak near the driver sun-visor on mine (my DD Seats are silent), other than that creaks and such are extremely minimal (at least at the moment, knock on wood).
Navigation is bare-basic (sucks considering the level of car this is).
Wipers not going all the way up.
Airmatic isn't worth the trouble IMO (kept me from getting a V8).
'07+'s have over-boosted steering for my liking (I prefer a bit of a heavier feeling).

Depreciation is a Euro/Luxury car thing period, especially when you get into the more expensive models, the C-Class and 3-Series for example are cheaper to begin with, so don't suffer as severe looks of depreciation on paper. Also, the 211 has been a huge seller, so there are lots for Sale in turn, which in turn helps the Used value get watered down.

The Pro's are immense to me, the 211 with the proper appearance boosts and Options is the nicest and all around best balanced Mid-Size Luxury Sedan out there to me period. I love driving it and owning it, and personally believe it will stand as a very timeless model.

This is O/T, but has anyone else noticed with the 07+'s, M-B seemed to use a cheaper fabric over the A-Pillers and roof-lining? It seems they went from a nice, white, almost "fuzzy" appearance in the pre-face-lifts (which IMO looks pretty classy), to a more spongy sort of fabric in the face-lifts which looks more generic to me. Also, they seemed to change the nice door-lock pins with the chrome inserts to a cheaper all-plastic skinny one?

Or maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by K-A
I Also, they seemed to change the nice door-lock pins with the chrome inserts to a cheaper all-plastic skinny one?

Or maybe I'm just crazy.
I changed my "nice" pins to the newer style----my 2 1/2 year old son likes unscrewing the old ones!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by K-A
This is O/T, but has anyone else noticed with the 07+'s, M-B seemed to use a cheaper fabric over the A-Pillers and roof-lining? It seems they went from a nice, white, almost "fuzzy" appearance in the pre-face-lifts (which IMO looks pretty classy), to a more spongy sort of fabric in the face-lifts which looks more generic to me. Also, they seemed to change the nice door-lock pins with the chrome inserts to a cheaper all-plastic skinny one?

Or maybe I'm just crazy.
No you are not crazy I've noticed that also. And why did they take away the tilting mirror in later models ? it's all a mystery to me.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

No you are not crazy I've noticed that also. And why did they take away the tilting mirror in later models ? it's all a mystery to me.
Yeah, it seems while marketing some added features and improvements, M-B quietly did some regressions and cost cutting at the same time.

The A-Pillar and roof lining was a big one to me, as I really love the look of the more quality and "fuzzier" looking lining, the new one just doesn't give the same feeling. Maybe I'm being picky, but hey, we are M-B owners right, hehe.

I'm wondering if the door pins were changed for any specific reason (like not being able to be unscrewed) rather than simple cost cutting?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Tons of cutting cost changes I can find comparing to my prev gen Benz. No digital temperature control, no charcoal filter, no standard leather, no cooler in under arm rest box, no good arm rest, the list can be continued though.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 AM

06 E350
I've had my 06 E350 and here are my observations:

Car is built solid, very smooth, very luxurious, and can't go wrong with the Mercedes brand name.

Don't like the depreciation? Buy a used one. Much better than new.

Things I don't like:

1) The ugly clock in the cluster.

2) No little place to put a cell phone while driving to see if you get a call. You need to put it in your arm rest area, or on the seat.

3) Ugly stock wheels

4) No way to read your current MPG as you drive

5) Incredibly large gas tank makes fill ups expensive.

Other than that, I love it!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by alexsynn

Car is built solid, very smooth, very luxurious, and can't go wrong with the Mercedes brand name.

Don't like the depreciation? Buy a used one. Much better than new.

Things I don't like:

2) No little place to put a cell phone while driving to see if you get a call. You need to put it in your arm rest area, or on the seat.

3) Ugly stock wheels

I put my Cell in the cupholder or seat as well.

I actually like the analog clock, the analog situation took some getting used to for me (so used to cars with digital), but I think it's an elegant touch.

Also, you can see the AVG MPG per each start up (per 4 hour time frames actually). But yeah, no immediate MPG reading, unless you constantly reset it.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Drive By Wire is not as smooth as simpler setups.
KA, It looks like Sprint Booster only makes the ETC remap for the C Class, AMG, R, and GL. I'm going to email him about the E Class V6. Should be the same as the C350. I had one installed on my BMW and it was a night and day difference. My MB E350 is a dog. These motors have decent enough torque, no need for it take twenty minutes to respond
Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Things I don't like:

Ummm, that doesn't make any sense. You'll use the gas anyway. Either fill it up or just put in what you can afford. Having a large gas tank means longer distance between fill ups, and that's a good thing.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

KA, It looks like Sprint Booster only makes the ETC remap for the C Class, AMG, R, and GL. I'm going to email him about the E Class V6. Should be the same as the C350. I had one installed on my BMW and it was a night and day difference. My MB E350 is a dog. These motors have decent enough torque, no need for it take twenty minutes to respond
I agree. The thing is, it seems mine kind of decides on its own as to how it's going to perform. Sometimes it feels really responsive and really impresses me when nailing it, and sometimes, like the other day when I was in middle of a Yellow-turning-Red intersection and FLOORED it (something I never really do), the car just sat their for LITERALLY 4 seconds, downshifted seemingly like 3 times, made alot of noise, and still didn't take of until I had to let of the gas, and re hit it.

Also yeah, big Gas Tanks are a major plus.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Dema
Tons of cutting cost changes I can find comparing to my prev gen Benz. No digital temperature control, no charcoal filter, no standard leather, no cooler in under arm rest box, no good arm rest, the list can be continued though.
Ya, God knows how much money they save by taking the auto-tilt down feature out, or charcoal filter, etc.

Drive by wire is a piece of sh*t. Is there a way to bypass it without getting a sprintbooster, like doing it through the computer or STAR?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:50 PM

06 E350
Ummm, that doesn't make any sense. You'll use the gas anyway. Either fill it up or just put in what you can afford. Having a large gas tank means longer distance between fill ups, and that's a good thing.
True. My wife has a 2005 Honda Accord EX V6, and I've never been able to put more than 14 gallons in it, and it goes almost a far as the E350
Old 12-27-2008, 01:00 PM

That's kinda subjective. I hated it at first but now I like it. I prefer it more than a cheap digital clock. But yeah; I've heard people complaining about it before especially the BMW crowd.

I have the BlackBerry storm and it's a big phone. I usually put it in the cup holder in the arm rest and just leave it there. Since I don't smoke my dealer gave me a rubber mat that is of the shape of the ash tray. I took the ash tray out and have this rubber mat in there and I have another little nook I can store stuff in.

3) Ugly stock wheels
Yeah not a big fan of them either.

I don't know which MY car you have but on both of my '08 you can.

I look at that as a plus
Old 12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

Things I don't like:

You can remove the ash tray if you don't smoke & keep it in the tray there.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's kinda subjective. I hated it at first but now I like it. I prefer it more than a cheap digital clock. But yeah; I've heard people complaining about it before especially the BMW crowd.
fwiw, the analog clock is a sort of signature item for Mercedes Benz. I had one in my 220S (of course that was before digital) and there has been one in all Mercedes E Class, afaik. When Bimmer people bring it up, I remind them of their kidney grills. The rest of the unwashed masses think the analog clock is sorta nice.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:04 PM

2006 E350
Reliability is questionable. I bought an '06 E350 CPO at 27.5k miles. It has been in the dealer 2 times already, one for alignment and another for belt replacement. Next week I am bringing it back for transmission check. A month ago I got off the freeway and approached a light. The car would not move much (maybe up to 15 miles/hr) even though the engine is rotating nearly 4500 rpm. I put it back in P and shut off the engine. It was back to normal. Tonight the same thing happened and my wife was little scared. I told her that German cars drive nice but they are not as reliable as the Japanese makes. Maybe I should go back to a BMW or try out a Lexus.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AlexH
Reliability is questionable. I bought an '06 E350 CPO at 27.5k miles. It has been in the dealer 2 times already, one for alignment and another for belt replacement. Next week I am bringing it back for transmission check. A month ago I got off the freeway and approached a light. The car would not move much (maybe up to 15 miles/hr) even though the engine is rotating nearly 4500 rpm. I put it back in P and shut off the engine. It was back to normal. Tonight the same thing happened and my wife was little scared. I told her that German cars drive nice but they are not as reliable as the Japanese makes. Maybe I should go back to a BMW or try out a Lexus.
I agree reliability is definitely hit or miss, but BMW won't be any better, Lexus would, but unfortunately the cons to driving that are a bore-factor high enough to give headaches when simply looking at one. I think Infinity is making the most attractive and more-so soulfully-inspired Japanese Luxury vehicles right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211 Biggest Complaint?