E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Insalled E55 exhaust w/X-pipe and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Insalled E55 exhaust w/X-pipe and...

Removed my howling Magnaflows today and installed a complete E55 AMG exhaust with x-pipe in place of the E55 resonator.... After the install, I lowered the car down off the lift and asked the Service Tech and shop owner to say the first words that come to mind when they hear the exhaust... One said "pretty weak" and the other said, "no big deal"...! I agree... The car is dead silent at idle, pretty much stock sounding unless I'm on the throttle heavy and even then, it 'aint nothing to get excited about... Other than the obnoxious drone and howling exhaust tips, I think the Magnaflows sounded better... Soooo, after the $400 for the Magnaflow debacle, $600 for the E55 exhaust, $60 for x-pipe and $100 to install, it really sounds no better than stock.... No disrespect, but this E55exhaust mod just doesn't cut it for me... Bang for the $, it's a waste of time although I guess I did get some nice tips for my trouble... Idling at a stoplight, I could hear a bird chirping over the exhaust, and cruising at 65, I heard more wind and tire noise than anything resembling a sporty rumble... What's next...? Pics are Magnaflow/Round tips, then E55 tips...
Attached Thumbnails Insalled E55 exhaust w/X-pipe and...-05_e500-043.jpg   Insalled E55 exhaust w/X-pipe and...-05_e500-050.jpg   Insalled E55 exhaust w/X-pipe and...-05_e500-051.jpg  
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GTS
so the E55 exhaust fits on the stock E500 bumper? looks great on the car
Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by sdunham
Removed my howling Magnaflows today and installed a complete E55 AMG exhaust with x-pipe in place of the E55 resonator.... After the install, I lowered the car down off the lift and asked the Service Tech and shop owner to say the first words that come to mind when they hear the exhaust... One said "pretty weak" and the other said, "no big deal"...! I agree... The car is dead silent at idle, pretty much stock sounding unless I'm on the throttle heavy and even then, it 'aint nothing to get excited about... Other than the obnoxious drone and howling exhaust tips, I think the Magnaflows sounded better... Soooo, after the $400 for the Magnaflow debacle, $600 for the E55 exhaust, $60 for x-pipe and $100 to install, it really sounds no better than stock.... No disrespect, but this E55exhaust mod just doesn't cut it for me... Bang for the $, it's a waste of time although I guess I did get some nice tips for my trouble... Idling at a stoplight, I could hear a bird chirping over the exhaust, and cruising at 65, I heard more wind and tire noise than anything resembling a sporty rumble... What's next...? Pics are Magnaflow/Round tips, then E55 tips...
I don't recall ANY E55 owner saying how great their stock exhaust sounds.

Countless posts with people who have removed resonators, secondary cats, or both and still no big increase.

Only gutting the mufflers or replacing them with a racing muffler will make a big difference.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by imolas54
so the E55 exhaust fits on the stock E500 bumper? looks great on the car

No, it doesn't. Bumper was cut with a dremel tool to fit the E55 tips...
Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Even on the 55 its quiet.. I got the Renntech mufflers, and that really made it growl.. Id put the magnalflows back on with just the AMG tips..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Seems like you're having a hard time finding a perfect fit for what you're looking for. The Magnaflows droned too much, not to mention that crazy whistle, and the E55 is too quiet. I heard your sound clip with the X-pipe and while not Z06 loud, it certainly is throatier than stock. Doesn't seem like it to you because you just came from the Magnaflows. As I stated before, idle is pretty much the same but at wide open throttle, it's definitely meatier. I know you're salty right now and probably don't think so, but it is. If your intent all along was to get American muscle car sound, then the AMG mufflers aren't going to cut it. I was under the impression that you wanted gruntier than stock, with no drone and the E55 with secondary cats and resonator delete will give you that.

I know how it feels to drop a bunch of money and not get the results you want. It stinks. Before you do anything else, wait until mid January. I'm getting my secondary cats and resonator removed. I'll take video so you can see what mine sounds like.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by sdunham
Also remember, the difference also comes with the engine: E500 v. E55 v. E63 v. CL600. I've heard those with E63's or 600 V12TT engines saying once they put an x-pipe it made a big difference from stock, but then again that goes to engine size. Friend has an E63 and noticed quite a difference when he removed his resonator and put straight pipes.

From all the research I did on my own, the best two bets seemed like Remus or Eisenmann (price wise, remus was better, however, I would personally rather go with eisenmann). The AMG exhaust is more for looks IMO and for those who don't really want the loud exhaust.

Last edited by gaazmon; 12-24-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I know you're salty right now and probably don't think so, but it is. If your intent all along was to get American muscle car sound, then the AMG mufflers aren't going to cut it. I was under the impression that you wanted gruntier than stock, with no drone and the E55 with secondary cats and resonator delete will give you that.
Salty... Yeah, that's a good way to put it I suppose... Don't know if American Muscle is exactly what I'm looking for as I know that a European Sedan shouldn't sound like a Corvette... But, I'll also tell you the Billy Boat exhaust I had on both my C5's sounded awesome, and that's compared to Borlas, Flowmasters, Corsas, and all the other C5 exhausts in the club and at the Autocross tracks... The sound clips I hear with Renntech exhausts get my attention for sure, just not the cost... I'll drive the car for a few weeks this way and see if I get used to it... Maybe even consider gutting the Muffs so I can keep the E55 system ( and the bumper I cut for the tips ) but still get a sportier, deeper, more rumbly sound but no resonance....
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
You can always have the AMG mufflers opened up and gut the packing inside.. People see a big sound improvement from this..
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
You can always have the AMG mufflers opened up and gut the packing inside.. People see a big sound improvement from this..
+1

Gut it.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by phatmitzu
+1

Gut it.
Seems to be the most logical next step. Low cost, won't lose the investment in the curent E55 exhaust, won't have to deal with a new bumper that is now cut for E55 tips, etc... Stay tuned...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
looking good...
now u need AMG rear bumper!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E
if your not happy with the exhaust ill be more than happy to take it off your hands
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Looks like I'm gonna have my secondary cats and resonator removed next week. I'll post a video with sound clips to see if mine ends up with the sound you're looking for.

I'll also post pre/post dyno results. I'm interested in seeing if I'm going to lose some torque.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Looks like I'm gonna have my secondary cats and resonator removed.... <snip>

I'll also post pre/post dyno results. I'm interested in seeing if I'm going to lose some torque.

I'd be interested in the results of that... So far, I can't say I'm noticeing any change in power and really wasn't expecting any... Turns out I didn't gut enough of the E55 mufflers internals so I need to go back in and do some more work to get the sound improvements I was looking for...