Trolls & Reinforcement Theory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
Trolls & Reinforcement Theory

Let's get down to business
I don't got no time to play around what is this?
Must be a circus in town let’s shut the shut the sh*t down
On these clowns, Can I get a witness?

I can’t bring myself to respond to the ridiculous thread that currently is active in this forum. I notice that many regular posters have avoided it also. I can’t vote in an absurd poll. This is not “off-topic” because it’s prime-time right now in this forum.

In another lifetime, I was a therapist that worked with folks prior to discharge from a psychiatric hospital, and was considered knowledgeable if not an expert in behavioral theory.

Ya gotta ask yerself, “Why da heck would sumbodie *** inta civil environment en try en stir up truble?’ Okay, maybe you ask yourself a slightly different question.

High-level trolls are different from low-level trolls. I’ve been on the internet (and USENET) since the 80s in its infancy (CompuServe, for example) and in-and-out of bulletin boards before and during. You got the type that just drop by and post an inflammatory remark and leave. They drop by later and read the fallout. They may or may not post again. That’s more of a low-level troll.

High level trolls tend to lie to themselves as well as others. They actually want the interaction, it’s just that their negative outlook on most everything bleeds through into their comments. They can’t help themselves. They don’t think of themselves as “bad people”; they really think they are contributing to a dialogue. That’s what’s really scary. They really can’t see it. They just have to live it.

Still, both types live for reinforcement. You, me, anybody, just sumbodie respond! Put me down, build me up, whatever, I don’t care, just notice I’m here! Please! If you ignore me, I’ll just get more offensive. Try and ignore me then!

Well, we can. We can not respond. We can begin new threads. We can use the ignore function. We can do anything except respond. That’s what feeds trolls. Hey, I like a clever put-down of trolls as much as anybody, but in the end you’re still feeding the animals.

So, life will go on here in the W211 forum, and 95% of the posts will be troll-free. (I hope it continues.) Still, trolls will come and go, and there will be those of us who can’t resist feeding the monkeys. They’re just so cute.

Out there on a limb,
Old 01-16-2003, 03:35 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Well first of all this is definitely off topic. Second you are definitely out on a limb. Third your analysis fails to account for the narcissistic personality that trolls for neither high nor low level (attention i assume is what you are measuring with the levels) but simply for the pleasure of watching simpletons get all worked up. It's interesting you started a whole thread for this.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:14 AM

PFFF Leave Troll
Old 01-16-2003, 05:57 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Lightbulb Tirol

Since the Bavarian state of Tirol is home to many a Mercedes maybe this thread could be considered "on topic" through some type of degree of separation theory? Just trying to be accomodating.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:49 AM

2013 S550
Sorry, all. I'd been working long hours on a project for 9 days straight, and it finally came together. I had a few drinks to relax and my judgment definitely suffers at those times.

Perhaps a moderator can just delete this thread as it adds nothing to the community.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
You're wrong

You're wrong about this thread contributing nothing.

While I'm assuming (yes, I know what they say about that) that you are talking about someone other than myself, I see some of what you are saying in myself.

So, thank you for the objective lesson. I will re-examine my posts more carefully in the future before actually posting them. Lately, I have been quick to lash out at others (not playing well) for minor or even just perceived indiscretions, and that reflects badly.

So, ctouhy, I'm a glad you posted this thread. Thanks.

PS--I think the next line in the song you quote is, "Heeayll Yeahhh"

EDJ

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-16-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I agree that it was a good post.
I will go along with Joe and try very, very hard to not respond to trolls.

I will just have to make better use of the "ignore" button.

Ed