E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

BlueTooth headset disabling remote key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
BlueTooth headset disabling remote key?

I've got an iPhone and a Motorola BT headset. For reasons not clear to me, if I have the headset and phone on my remote will not lock or unlock the doors but will work in the ignition. Doesn't make sense to me as I believe the remote key is IR and BlueTooth is RF. If I turn the head set and phone off the key works fine. Has anybody seen this? thanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
The key is actually both RF and infrared. It uses RF to lock/unlock doors and open the trunk, and IR to open/close the windows/sunroof when you point it at the IR receiver. (The IR receiver is the little square block on the outside drivers door handle)

I have a Motorola phone and a Jawbone bluetooth headset and have not seen that problem in either of my cars. Very interesting...

Can you borrow another headset and/or phone to test it out?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
BT is a standard and operates on the same frequencies for all models of phones.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by shorthair
The key is actually both RF and infrared. It uses RF to lock/unlock doors and open the trunk, and IR to open/close the windows/sunroof when you point it at the IR receiver. (The IR receiver is the little square block on the outside drivers door handle)

I have a Motorola phone and a Jawbone bluetooth headset and have not seen that problem in either of my cars. Very interesting...

Can you borrow another headset and/or phone to test it out?
Both IR and RF are used for opening/closing door locks. The OP should try pointing the door handle with the key to try if IR works for the doors.

Pretty strange still if the door locks do not work with the phone on the cradle, sounds more like the phone kit is confusing the CAN-bus or something.