E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Tire bubbles on brand new e350 ...SCANDAL I tell ya!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
While anybody can produce a defective product now and then, I believe Michelin is the only tire maker that has never had a recall campaign.

Maybe not a recall, but the PAX system on my 2006 Odyssey was a major disappointment. The tires are 2x expensive to have installed and only last 30k miles. Plus, only Honda dealers have the necessary equipment to replace/repair them.

Even the mighty Michelin can make a bad product.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
A tire "bubble" is caused by an impact. The tire is pinched between the road (or a curb) and the wheel resulting in a bruise/cut on the inner sidewall. This allows the tire to swell in that area.

It is very easy to damage multiple tires on the same car. The tire is also more prone to damage when the inflation is low. 3 tires bubble can result for 2 seperate impacts, where the front and rear tire on one side hit the same defect in the road. It can even happen while driving over 1 defect; like driving over steel plates the span perpendicular the the roadway.

I check my tires at least once a month, regardless of the status of the tire warners display. I have not had one failure.

BTW, anyone who states they "never hit and potholes" is a liar. It is inevitable. The roads suck. If you want better roads, be prepared to pay the price of gas drivers in europe pay. You want cheap gas? You get cheap roads....
Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by MB211
A tire "bubble" is caused by an impact. The tire is pinched between the road (or a curb) and the wheel resulting in a bruise/cut on the inner sidewall. This allows the tire to swell in that area.

It is very easy to damage multiple tires on the same car. The tire is also more prone to damage when the inflation is low. 3 tires bubble can result for 2 seperate impacts, where the front and rear tire on one side hit the same defect in the road. It can even happen while driving over 1 defect; like driving over steel plates the span perpendicular the the roadway.

I check my tires at least once a month, regardless of the status of the tire warners display. I have not had one failure.

BTW, anyone who states they "never hit and potholes" is a liar. It is inevitable. The roads suck. If you want better roads, be prepared to pay the price of gas drivers in europe pay. You want cheap gas? You get cheap roads....
Everyone hits holes.. try driving in New Orleans after Katrina. However I have never had a bubble on a Michelin. Doesn't mean it won't,, Just never had one since 1970 when I bought my first Michelin. However I have had many other brand bubble.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Everyone hits holes.. try driving in New Orleans after Katrina. However I have never had a bubble on a Michelin. Doesn't mean it won't,, Just never had one since 1970 when I bought my first Michelin. However I have had many other brand bubble.
How is New Orleans nowadays? Did they actually spend any of the fed money to fix anything?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by werewolf34
How is New Orleans nowadays? Did they actually spend any of the fed money to fix anything?

I thought fed money was OUR money?

I filed for fed $$ after we were shorted about $80G's on our home rebuilding. How much did I get, ZERO. We have a 4 bedroom home when our kids lived with us. Now they don't. When asked how many live here I told the truth 2. They told me the house was too big for us,(gov determining what size home I should have ) and that the INS gave me enough $$ to rebuild 2 bedrooms 1 bath, kitchen and LR. Forget the rest of the house full of mold. So we got ZERO. I guess that is the advantage of having flood insurance. If you had none you got the Fed grant.

Folks won't admit it but guess is NO is down 160,000 in population.

This is apparent with less traffic on the highway at rush hour.

Last edited by vettdvr; 09-24-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 PM

2009 E350 Sport
I am too small to save not too big to fail....

Originally Posted by vettdvr

I thought fed money was OUR money?

I flied for fed $$ after we were shorted about $80G's on our home rebuilding. How much did I get, ZERO. We have a 4 bedroom home when our kids lived with us. Now they don't. When asked how many live here I told the truth 2. They told me the house was too big for us,(gov determining what size home I should have ) and that the INS gave me enough $$ to rebuild 2 bedrooms 1 bath, kitchen and LR. Forget the rest of the house full of mold. So we got ZERO. I guess that is the advantage of having flood insurance. If you had none you got the Fed grant.

Folks won't admit it but guess is NO is down 160,000 in population.

This is apparent with less traffic on the highway at rush hour.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Out of curiosity.... Is the Wheel and Tire replacement policy administered by an "insurance company" or other 3rd Party Replacement Plan issuer? Or is it simply an agreement between the Corporation that owns the Dealership and the car's Owner? Is the dealership simply "playing the odds" and self insuring the wheels and tires?

Can you replace a wheel or tire at another MB Dealership if you are out of town and ruin either? Who decides whether to repair or replace the rim or tire? Does it cover normal wear? I've never seen this type of policy.
I believe it is from an insurance co. I bought this insurance when I bought my 08 E550 in August 07. This year I had two tires replaced free (pothole damage was covered) but we had to wait for 2 days for an insurance adjuster to approve. The dealer was MB Manhattan. I believe I am now ahead on the cost of the insurance as those Michelin OEM ties are quite expensive. The insurance also covered installation, balancing, etc.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by 220S
The first thing I did, before the car even had 200 miles on it, was to dump those Contis and put on PS2s. Big difference in handling, too. Stiffer sidewall.

I run Pilot Sport Ribs on the P-car.

(of course, we can run performance summers here all year around)
Like thie discussion. Live in MI. Hit a pothole which damaged the tire and wheel.

Fortunately had the tire warranty. Though let me say that it is never easy at a dealership. They (at least mine does) seem to always want to come up with some way to say it was your fault. Regardless I got the contract out. They repalced the tire and wheel. Which at a delaership is clsoe to $900. I run the Michelins. Continental should just close up shop altogether. MB should finally acknowledge these tires (all varieties) are pure crap!

Curious, do you like your PS2's? I'm considering these when it comes time for new tires. Also heard good things about Yokohama Advan S.4's.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by NickR41
Like thie discussion. Live in MI. Hit a pothole which damaged the tire and wheel.

Fortunately had the tire warranty. Though let me say that it is never easy at a dealership. They (at least mine does) seem to always want to come up with some way to say it was your fault. Regardless I got the contract out. They repalced the tire and wheel. Which at a delaership is clsoe to $900. I run the Michelins. Continental should just close up shop altogether. MB should finally acknowledge these tires (all varieties) are pure crap!

Curious, do you like your PS2's? I'm considering these when it comes time for new tires. Also heard good things about Yokohama Advan S.4's.
I have learned my lesson with MB tires. After 3 sets pulled off at 10,000 miles for cupping/noise I run only Michelin PS2's and they are great tires.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by NickR41

I changed out the tires on my previous E350 to PS2s primarily for better handling. The Contis it came with were "no season" tires and here in SoCal we can run performance summer tires year around.

So, PS2s compared to the Conti "no season" tires is really no comparison.

I now have an AMG and it came with ContiSport Contact IIIs. They aren't a bad tire (I had the earlier Contact IIs on my BMW for a while), and I'll keep them until I run the tread off them. Then I'll probably replace them with PS2s. AMG has certain tires they "approve" just like Porsche does.

Tires are a losing proposition. They take a lot of abuse. It's actually kind of amazing that they wear as well as they do when you think about it. And these days most all brand name tires are pretty decent. And how well they perform varies from car to car (hence the "approval" bit from high end mfgs like Porsche, Ferrari, etc..)