E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

saw new e-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw new e-class

this is not meant to be a flame or anything, just my opinion

I saw the new e-class at the auto-show in Philadelphia on Thursday. I sat in one, I belive it was a E-500. Anyway it had a "cheesy" feel to it, the plastics seemed crappy, the light panel up top, the sunroof button, the wiper and light stalk, etc. It just didn't feel like the materials were of high quality. Also the back seemed small, smaller than the E-320 that we currently have and are looking to replace.

Is this just me, or did they cheapen the interior of the new E class?

Also we are looking at the new CLK 320 Cab , trying to decide between the two for our next car.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I assume that your post is sincere.

I find the interior of the E-320 and E-500 to be very classy as do everyone who rides in my E-500. I wonder if it was just the color combo or maybe it just wasn't your style. We all have different tastes and impressions of class.

"Cheesy" is really not a word that I would think anyone would use for the E. You might not like it but that does not seem to fit in my opinion.

Maybe you would like the BMW better.

ED
Old 01-18-2003, 11:39 AM

And I had the opposite opinion when I had an E320 loaner while my E500 was getting the new steering wheel - the materials looked fresh from the 1980's, and the buttons were thick, heavy, and rounded square shapes. The leather was hard and slippery, not supple whatsoever, and the trunk was small in comparison. After borrowing this E320, I told my wife I never would have gotten an E-class anything if this was all they had to offer at the time. I am continually impressed by the luxury, technology, and grace of the E500, particularly in the interior.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by etenn
I assume that your post is sincere.

"Cheesy" is really not a word that I would think anyone would use for the E.
Your absoultly correct.

My post was sincere, but I did choose the wrong word. I should have used another word. What I meant was the buttons didn't have a really high quality feel to them. Also, the HVAC controls didn't seem so nice as well. Even know it is automatic the dials and knobs seem less luxrious. Again, an auto show is not the best place to get an opinion, and I only sat in it for a few minutes.

Taking it for a test drive or getting a demo for a day or two will give me a much better informed opinion.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:36 PM

2003 CLK 320
matt 5555
Wondering are you looking to get the 2003 clk 320 cab or the 2004 clk 320 cab. I have the new style 2003 clk 320 coupe and love the car? I have not seen alot of pictures of the new 2004 clk 320 cab and I heard rumors of hard top. It will probably be a soft top.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by britton
matt 5555
Wondering are you looking to get the 2003 clk 320 cab or the 2004 clk 320 cab. I have the new style 2003 clk 320 coupe and love the car? I have not seen alot of pictures of the new 2004 clk 320 cab and I heard rumors of hard top. It will probably be a soft top.
We have the new body style CLk 320 Cab on order. I'm not sure what model year it is, are they going to call the new style cab a 2004? I belive its a soft top as well.

We had a 2002 on order but we decided against that because we wouldn't have recieved it until this winter and also the rear-visibility was poor. Our salesman told us that the new Cab has improved rear-visibility.

We are still undecided between the E or CLK cab. We will decide when the CLK Cab comes in (no sure when that is...)
Old 01-18-2003, 12:50 PM

2003 CLK 320
I think that the 2003 clk 320 cab has the 208 body style and the 2004 clk 320 cab will have the new body style I could be wrong.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:40 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I love the E500 interior...

and the refreshed body styling is terrific. The leather quality and feel shames the BMW 5-series IMHO. Cabin design is thoughtful, with storage everywhere, even under the seats.

My decision was between a BMW 540iA Sport vs the E500. My wife is the main driver, so a manual tranny is out of the question for her, especially in a 300+hp auto. So... the M5 dropped out of the race. The E55 is a little too much car, plus I'd rather row the gears.

So, the E500 was a nice choice for us. We're smitten by the E's cabin and exterior. So, Mercedes... work out all the knick-knacks! We want quality, quality, quality... AND reliability!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally posted by schvetkaaks
And I had the opposite opinion when I had an E320 loaner while my E500 was getting the new steering wheel - the materials looked fresh from the 1980's, and the buttons were thick, heavy, and rounded square shapes. The leather was hard and slippery, not supple whatsoever, and the trunk was small in comparison. After borrowing this E320, I told my wife I never would have gotten an E-class anything if this was all they had to offer at the time. I am continually impressed by the luxury, technology, and grace of the E500, particularly in the interior.
I completely agree with you. New E class interior dramatically improved and materials quality also look better. I'm confident in this, because I own old E and had a chance to drive a new. I think that new E class has the best interior in entire MB product line. Can you compare interior of A6 and old E you had as a loaner? A6 has small buttons too, so I guess you should chose A6. What about new E and A6? I'm thinking about a car for my wife and I narrow my selection between new E and A6. You should be confident in that since own both.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:48 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Interiors

When the new E came out I went to one dealer who had a sport model equipped with the panoramic roof and another dealer who had the base E without even a sunroof. I found the interior on the two cars to differ from night to day. It really did look "cheesy" for MB to even be offering an E without a sunroof and the headlining seemed ultra cheap. On the other hand the panoramic roof and its fittings are almost up to Maybach standards. My advice to anyone disappointed in the new interior, hold off judgment until you see it with the panorama roofl. It adds a lot of feel to the size of the car too, especially for rear seat occupants. I know the measurements say otherwise, but in the sunroof absent base model E it really did look like there was less legroom for rear seat passengers in the new E compared to the outgoing model. With the panoramic roof that impression disappears.

Last edited by northbenz; 01-19-2003 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:43 AM
mco

ML430, E500
Re: Interiors

I have seen many different e class cars in multiple colors. There is a lot of personal taste involved. I also wonder if there was something in the color combo that made it look "cheesy".

I think the quality of materials look so much better than the old e class. I have a 96 e320 and there is no comparison. I think the interior looks and feels better than the s class, obviously in a smaller package.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:21 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
This is, after all, a matter of taste. I think you need to give the car a fair chance and really spend time with it. From my experience over, unfortunately, many years, is that MB is a trendsetter, copied by many other manufacturers. They "begin" somethings that are subtly different in new models and somethings that are very different.

I find myself quetioning, at the very first, the very different things. But as time passes, I come to really like the style and appointment of their automobiles. I realize that the changes are really great-trendsetting stylistic designs or technology.

At first, I wasn't sure I liked the interior or exterior styling of the new E. I had an early order on an E320. When it came in the first week of their release, I didn't think I would like it (and, I was already driving my wife's new SL500 and liked the V8 engine much more-with the smoothness and power band).

So, I passed on the E320, mainly on reservations on exterior and interior styling. I ordered an E500, to stay in line in case my mind changed by the time of the new delivery two months later. I then spent a lot of time viewing and driving the new E. When the E500 came in, I was just in love with it, interior and exterior. Of course, I took it. I am so glad I did. The interior is not as "teutonic" as former MB E class cars. It is softer and more stylish. I love it now-even though it wasn't love at first sight. I believe what you find "cheesy" is just less "strictly functional" and stark. Instead it is more stylish, small and softer. Other manufacturers will follow suit.

Perhaps this is the case with your reaction. Spend time with the new E class car, see it, drive it (especially the E500) and see how you feel after really experiencing it. Look at other models, MB and otherwise. I think that if you get over the dramatic change and get used to it, you just might love it as much as I do and as do many others. If not, then get the CLK or a different make. You have nothing to lose. Keep an open mind.

Good luck. Jeff

Last edited by jhb; 01-19-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
You need to look at more than one car. The materials, fit and finish on this car are on par with most anything out there and in my opinion an upgrade from previous Benz interiors.

As somebody said depending on the color and options, 320 or 500 they are different. I drove a white E500 with Stone interior and the non-sport brown wood. Several things I did not like about that interior color - it was already marked on the door opening edges with dirt and a black scuff on the seat side plastic.

An almost identical car with Pewter / Charcoal and the sport black wood / chrome / ivory instruments was in my opinion much more elegant and sold me on the car. Its what I bought.

Strictly personal opinion. If you have time to keep it clean the stone interior is beautiful too.