E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop

Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E550 (RIP), 2014 CLS 550C4
'05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop

Hey gang, have searched but not found the answer.

Car is an '05 E500 with the above mentioned error message. I have noticed that after a good rain the Tele-Aid Malfunction message appears but it usually stops appearing after a few days - assuming it's been dry.

Issue is, apparently, effecting the Nav system too, I suspect because they both use the same antenna. Nav system has no idea where the car is.

Tele-Aid actually works, even though the error is displayed. I verified that Tele-Aid works by using the SOS button. Connected and talked to a Rep who tried to send a "clear" command to the car - which it recieved, but error message came back as soon as I restarted the car. The Rep also tried to get a location on the car, she thought I was in Virginia when I was actually in Maryland.

So, where should I look? Seems to act up when it rains.

Thanks,

Dan
The following users liked this post:
Rob E. (10-03-2023)
Old 01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Tele-Aid and the Navi are using the same GPS antenna. For voice connectivity Tele-Aid is using a different antenna, actually two. I assume your only problem is the GPS antenna at the roof/top of the rear window.
Rob E. (10-03-2023)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Tele-Aid and the Navi are using the same GPS antenna. For voice connectivity Tele-Aid is using a different antenna, actually two.
Not sure I quite understand your statement above.....
Rob E. (10-03-2023)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
DB is talking about 120. I would suggest you check all connections: 40, 160 (190 if wired for telephone) and the Tele Aid control module located behind the back passenger seat in the trunk. Remove the floor covering A = GPS antenna, B = antenna, C & D = power supply, and E = MOST. If all seem fine then water may be getting into the base 110.
Attached Thumbnails '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-antenna.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-teleaid_module.jpg  
Rob E. (10-03-2023)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I agree with the above but since the navigation device anyway did not operate properly, I'd also check the satellite fix status display from Comand. If it says "-", the GPS antenna cable is not properly connected (at the rear of the Navi or at the GPS splitter) or the GPS antenna is faulty. If it shows "0", the GPS antenna is likely faulty.

One could also try temporarily an other antenna at the GPS splitter antenna connector.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the details, really helps me to know where the components are located.

The car only has one visible antenna, 120 in the diagram. My confusion stems from the fact that Tele-Aid clearly works - as evidenced by my conversation with a Tele-Aid rep after pushing the SOS button, even though the MFD is showing a Tele-Aid malfunction message. I made the assumption that Tele-Aid and Nav (GPS) used the same 120 antenna.

Thanks much,

Dan
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Still chasing this - new symptom

Car will be going to the dealer shortly for 65k service and I'd like to get this resolved.

Still am getting Tele-Aid malfunction on the MFD - but now I get it each time the car is started. I clear the message and it usually does not reappear until the car is restarted but every now and then it will pop up whilst underway - sometimes several times.

Nav is still flaky, but has been less so - likely because we've not had a lot of rain.

The new symptom is this:

Was raining this morning but the nav was locked onto 7 or 8 Sat's. That is, until I activated the rear window defroster, wherein it started dropping Sat's, lost it's altitude reading, and at least once lost all sat locks. The moment I turned the defroster off it started re-aquiring the sats again. It's very repeatable.

And oh, rear defrost also degrades the signal to the radio.

Any thoughts? I'm still leaning to the antenna at the top center of the rear window as the likely problem.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Any thoughts? I'm still leaning to the antenna at the top center of the rear window as the likely problem.
Check your email.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-320 CDI
'05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction

I have the same problem with my 05 E 320cdi,tele-aid malfonction,and no sats
on my GPS i am calling Mercedes this week or i will have to use my PDA tom tom
Thanks,Trobador
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Problem Solved

Just to update......

The antenna at the top of the rear window is used by Tele-Aid and GPS. So, with assistance provided by Konigstiger (thanks again), I removed the right side interior trunk panel, located the antenna splitter, and found that, indeed, there was some corrosion at the splitter input terminal - evidenced by the fact that I could not remove, or even twist, the lead from the antenna whereas the the leads going to Tele-Aid and GPS were easily twisted and disconnected.

The metal shank of the antenna lead has a hex section so I simply applied a little torque to the shank which was enough to break the bond that the corrosion had formed and I was then able to remove the connector from the splitter. If you are wise you'll already have a new splitter in hand. I was not so I simply did the best I could with a wire brush and contact cleaner. If you choose to clean yours be careful, there is a very delicate female sleeve inside the barrel of the splitter input, which receives an even more delicate male lead from the antenna wire.

Upon reassembly the SOS Tele-Aid malfunction messagge disappeared on its own and has not been seen since. Mind you, the SOS message was displayed everytime I started the car prior to this work so it's definately not a fluke. The NAV was working, this time anyway, prior to my cleaning operation but I fully anticipate that cleaning the input to the splitter has also solved that particular NAV problem.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM

E-320 CDI
Just to update......

The antenna at the top of the rear window is used by Tele-Aid and GPS. So, with assistance provided by Konigstiger (thanks again), I removed the right side interior trunk panel, located the antenna splitter, and found that, indeed, there was some corrosion at the splitter input terminal - evidenced by the fact that I could not remove, or even twist, the lead from the antenna whereas the the leads going to Tele-Aid and GPS were easily twisted and disconnected.

The metal shank of the antenna lead has a hex section so I simply applied a little torque to the shank which was enough to break the bond that the corrosion had formed and I was then able to remove the connector from the splitter. If you are wise you'll already have a new splitter in hand. I was not so I simply did the best I could with a wire brush and contact cleaner. If you choose to clean yours be careful, there is a very delicate female sleeve inside the barrel of the splitter input, which receives an even more delicate male lead from the antenna wire.

Upon reassembly the SOS Tele-Aid malfunction messagge disappeared on its own and has not been seen since. Mind you, the SOS message was displayed everytime I started the car prior to this work so it's definately not a fluke. The NAV was working, this time anyway, prior to my cleaning operation but I fully anticipate that cleaning the input to the splitter has also solved that particular NAV problem.

Regards,

Dan

Is there a chance to get an e-mail with instructions to do same procedure to my 05 e-320 CDI? Thanks a lot for the help
Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by trobador
Is there a chance to get an e-mail with instructions to do same procedure to my 05 e-320 CDI? Thanks a lot for the help
Check your email
Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM

E-320 CDI
'05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction

Dan,thanks for the E-mail,i will check on the conections this weekend
Trobador
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM

07 E63
Just to update......

Regards,

Dan
Ok, but why than you assume, that all that happen because of a rain? I had the same problem in April, after the same instructions from Konigstiger and disel benz In a few days my NAV started again, but only after the car was parked for about a week backing the South - West and getting a lot of sun, and in one of thouse days I didn't touch nothing and when I started the car the SOS tele Aid malfunction wasn't on, I was already used to "reset"(with the buttons on the wheel) it but ups! it was not there, few minutes later I realized to check the map and it was showing me my possitionig, even there was no satelites, next day o letter satelites appeared on. after that nav was working good befor I went to car wash. and it happen again. At the same time, the music was swiching off and in 3-4 seconds back on every few minutes while driving, but music was playing ok when the car was parked, with the engine off. Did not have any problems while the dry summer, the problem reapear last week after a few weeks of daily rains, here in seattle, and I assume that rain(water) somehow cause the problem. I will try to do the same later. but what do you think about and water problems or sealant.
And other Question is: I want to take of the anttena on the top of the rear window, because I can see a tiny space between the antenna and window, that's why I think the water can get in there, but what shuold I expect to see there and can I use a contact cleaner inside? But most important for me is to know how to put it back? the EPC shows that is an adhesive foil(Nr. 110) on the picture provide by the konigstiger that I think get stick to the window and antenna. And if you have the needed instructions that will be grate.
Thak you
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM

I can only tell you the experience I had with mine; what the symptoms were and what the fix was in my case. You're symptoms seem a little different so your's may not have the same problem.

In my case rain - or moisture, being present was enough to cause the already marginal connection of the antenna wire to the splitter to get worse which lead to the Nav being unable to aquire sat's and lock onto them. Removing the antenna wire connector at the splitter and cleaning it solved it.

I've not had a single problem with the Nav aquiring sat's since I cleaned the connection.

Dan
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM

07 E63
thank you, I will do that, hope it will help.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

2005 E500
konigstiger,

I'm new to this but searching for the same solution. Would you send me the instructions to find the antenna splitter as well. Lots of rain in my area last night and this morning I started getting a tele-aid error. I know from your early post, it doesn't make sense that rain or moisture caused this but it has to have something to do with it. Maybe something is exposed in a way it shouldn't be. Anyway, appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by nubiankg
konigstiger,

I'm new to this but searching for the same solution. Would you send me the instructions to find the antenna splitter as well. Lots of rain in my area last night and this morning I started getting a tele-aid error. I know from your early post, it doesn't make sense that rain or moisture caused this but it has to have something to do with it. Maybe something is exposed in a way it shouldn't be. Anyway, appreciate any help you can offer.
PM email address.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM

07 E63
Ok, continuing to have problem with the corrosion on the antenna splitter, I assumed that it may be getting wet (humidity), because this is the main problem that cause the corrosion. All the time I was taking the panel off I was finding the corrosion on the splitter again. I cleaned it 2 or 3 times. After that I Left the left side panel cover off. After a rain I have disconnected the splitter and noticed that water got right inside the wire(connector)(picture 1), but was dry outside. I found the problem outside the trunk , the wire as you can see is cracked(2), I pulled it a little, but it was right by the rubber gasket. The water goes in there trough over here (picture 3) and over here(picture 4).
I have check the right side too, disappointed , look(picture 5):

I’m wondering? Can I fix it? And how? Can we seal this spots on the car? I mean using some clear glue or …?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8921_0.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8911_1.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8914_2.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8917_3.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8919_4.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM

07 E63
At the same time, can somebody tell me please what for is the wire form the right side, picture Nr. 5 that go to this connector _picture Nr.6 , and this wires hanging on the same right side of the trunk .
Attached Thumbnails '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8923_5.jpg   '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop-img_8928_6.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by viku_st
can somebody tell me please what for is the wire form the right side, picture Nr. 5 that go to this connector _picture Nr.6 , and this wires hanging on the same right side of the trunk .
SDARS (Sirius) power supply/MOST connector/antenna leads
Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 2003 Hummer H2, 1999 Covette Convertible, 2002 Harley Davidson V-Rod
Hi, I have the same problem with my 2005 E320 CDI, can you please email me an instruction for the remedy... Thank you
Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM

07 E63
Originally Posted by Ponyong
Hi, I have the same problem with my 2005 E320 CDI, can you please email me an instruction for the remedy... Thank you
???? corrosion ? or? describe your problem shortly.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM

2006 E350
Hi, I have an 06 e350 and the same tele aid and nav problem just started yesterday. Can someone please post the repair instructions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Same Problem, Different Car

2006 E320 CDI - kept outside.

I recently replaced both batteries in the car because of the upcoming winter. I had been given a few Telaid Malfunction displays over the previous 2 years and thought these had corresponded to low battery voltages and they had become increasingly more frequent. Three weeks after replacing both batteries, Teleaid malfunction appears again. Thought I may have a bad motorcycle battery or bad charging circuit.

Today...my GPS stops reading correctly. Tells me I am 10 miles south of where I am. Weird!

Beginning to think this antennae may be my problem. Konigstiger (and anyone else), can you please help me out?

Thanks,

Jeff

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: '05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop