E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'05 E500 Tele-Aid Malfunction - Visit Workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
I have a 2006 E350 and have had the same thing (Teleaid malfunction warning) after replacing batteries. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 PM

clk500
I'm having the same problem, can someone plase e-mail me instuctions also? jgcummings@ymail.com, thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Is it the same procedure for the W220 S430? if so, may I also have an email to clear this msg on my car please.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

2005 e320
Tele aid problem

Originally Posted by trobador
Is there a chance to get an e-mail with instructions to do same procedure to my 05 e-320 CDI? Thanks a lot for the help
Hello, My wifes car is having a the same problem. Can you possibly email me the instructions for this procedure? Also, where exactly is the splitter?

thanks,
Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM

my 2 cents

i think most have problem because of leak of water/moisture at the part 110 base. once it dries everything is back to normal with gps and no sos message
can anyone suggest a safe diy remedy to seal the base or can the dealer replace the base which may have a seal for a reasonable price?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 PM

S55 AMG
Teleaid / Sos Malfunction & Nav

I am having the same problem with my S55, Konigstiger can you or someone else be so kind to send the instructions to check out the wiring in the back.

Thanks a million
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Mercedes E320
SDS

Can anyone help me with an SDS plz?
Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by zooz12
Can anyone help me with an SDS plz?
Thanks
Sure. Are you willing to pay my flight tickets or would you prefer to find someone closer to you (in which case you could tell your location)?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Mercedes E320
I m in Miami, FL.. If anyone around and can help with SDS, plz let me know.
Thanks a lot!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 AMG
Having same issue. Can someone email me the procedure?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 PM

update please

i think this can be caused by different factors
mine is the intermittent type of sos message that comes on only when it rains
it goes off in 1-2 days when sun out to dry the back window antenna
my guess is this is a flawed design with antenna at edge of glass
all mb and cars i seen now have antenna on roof with rubber seal at base
also gps nav still works but satellite number goes blank

so i think i have a leak at base part 110 at antenna (part 120)
has anyone had this repair
cost?
did it work?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 350SDL, 2006 E320CDI, 1999 F250 7.3L Crew Cab 4X4
Mine did the same as you described. I removed the LH side pannels in the trunk and found the splitter connection from the antenna. I removed the connections and cleaned what corrosion I could and put dielectric grease in the connectors. My SOS Tele Aid message is completely gone.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML350 4Matic Gasoline
Replacing GPS/Command Antenna 2004 E500

I replaced the entire glass mounted antenna on my father's 2004 E500 yesterday and I am familiar with all 4 connections on the antenna. For those of you that are having corrosion problems, you must completely remove corrosion and also prevent water from getting back in. Clean all 4 connections, 2 per side. In addition, carefully remove the grommet with the wire as it passes through the vehicle into the trunk. Wash the grommet and the metal of car and replace grommet. If the wire passing through the grommet is cracked, covering it with silicone may provide a permanent seal. Apply 2 layers of silicone allowing 24 hours between applications. Applying a bit of silicone around the wire after the wired connections are cleaned and reconnected can't hurt either. If necessary, do not put the connected wires back into the holder, but rather tape them up higher leaving a drip loop below.

White vinegar is effective for cleaning and neutralizing the corrosion, brushing as necessary. Rinse with water after cleaning. I recommend Corrosion Block or Bioshield T9 to prevent future corrosion. They are used in the marine and aviation industry. I believe you can buy them at West Marine.

Also make sure that the areas around the grommets stay clean. Replace missing grommet covers immediately.

For most people, replacing the antenna is a job for the professional or skilled. It requires patience, skill, a bit of ingenuity, masking tape to protect the paint, use of thin wooden dowel with an angled end or popsicle sticks, a ladder, and the willingness to climb on the back window and stay there until you are done. And remember, the right wire with the red end goes to the left side and the left wire from the antenna goes to the right side. The wires must be rolled into the gap between the rear window gasket and the painted bodywork. I used a thin metal flexible putty knife taped to protect the paintwork. The rear glass must be properly cleaned and primed for the adhesive on the new antenna to bond properly to the glass.

Good luck and success to each of you.
The following users liked this post:
joemoe22 (01-03-2021)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM

2005 E320
Hello, Could someone please send me the instuctions to find the antenna splitter. I'm having this same problem after heavy rain or car wash. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML350 4Matic Gasoline
Originally Posted by Bmat
Hello, Could someone please send me the instuctions to find the antenna splitter. I'm having this same problem after heavy rain or car wash. Thank you.
If you have a rear, glass mounted command antenna, I can help you. If yours is roof mounted, then I would be guessing. For glass mounted antennas proceed as follows:

Please proceed only if you are capable and comfortable with removing interior trim. I recommend a warm garage if you live in a cold climate as plastic trim and fasteners easily break when cold.

1. remove all personal items from trunk
2. remove trunk mat, spare tire cover, and battery cover (10mm)
3. remove full width plastic trim at trunk entry (be gentle)
4. remove carpeted side panels in trunk

You should have a bare trunk at this point. The spare tire should be visible and all interior trim removed. There will be a large pile of stuff.

Connecting blocks and splitters will be visible in trunk at this point. They are adjacent to each trunk "hinge" and mounted high.

5. remove small plastic cover on each side of vehicle located below lower corners of rear window glass. Each cover measures about 1" x 2". You must have trunk open to access them. Slide up, then lift out. Or break them as I did. Don't worry. they are inexpensive and available from the dealer.
6. completely clean area and gently remove grommets with antenna wire from bodywork
7. follow my instructions from earlier post to remove and clean wiring connectors and seal water entry points if necessary. Test for water entry before reassembling trunk interior.

Hopefully this will work. Pay particular attention to wires as they enter trunk through grommets. The wires could be cracked allowing some water entry. Most likely the water is following the wire and getting to the connectors. Replacing entire antenna would be final alternative. Remember, grommets and bodywork must be perfectly clean to achieve a proper seal.

Last edited by spkml320; 02-27-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 PM

Mercedes E350
I have a 2006 E350 showing the Teleaid SOS error not the GPS error, and its been raining lately here in the bay area.
Are these the complete instructions or is there additional stuff?
Mr. konigstiger if there is anything else a message would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM

e 500
Originally Posted by mmahal
I have a 2006 E350 showing the Teleaid SOS error not the GPS error, and its been raining lately here in the bay area.
Are these the complete instructions or is there additional stuff?
Mr. konigstiger if there is anything else a message would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2005 e-500 with the same problem as all the above. I would like to thank all for their help. I will be tackling the task tomorrow
Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 PM

E320 W 211
Need Help

So to check remove flooring over spare tire & GPS connection should be behind that?Map giving me wrong location & today no location & no satelittes.Thx so much.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320, 2011 E350
what I did

I know this is an old thread but it helped me. I just thought I would add my 2 cents... what I did was remove and clean the splitter then I sealed the hole with silicone. I then checked to see if the leak was fixed, it was! (but to be safe I added more silicone) Then I decided to install the splitter backwards in the same holes it came out of (just flipped around), that way IF it leaked again the water would not enter the splitter. (the wire from the antenna now enters the bottom of the splitter and water does not travel up hill)
Its been perfect ever since. 2 months so far. Yesterday on a trip I had 11 satellites locked.
Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM

E-550 Sport
Old post but same issue

Thank you for such a good post! Do you have instructions and pics you could email. I know this is an old post but I hope you still have them. I have a 2005 E320. Can entire antenna wire and seal be replaced or silicone that area?

Thanks!
dickthemooner

Originally Posted by spkml320
I replaced the entire glass mounted antenna on my father's 2004 E500 yesterday and I am familiar with all 4 connections on the antenna. For those of you that are having corrosion problems, you must completely remove corrosion and also prevent water from getting back in. Clean all 4 connections, 2 per side. In addition, carefully remove the grommet with the wire as it passes through the vehicle into the trunk. Wash the grommet and the metal of car and replace grommet. If the wire passing through the grommet is cracked, covering it with silicone may provide a permanent seal. Apply 2 layers of silicone allowing 24 hours between applications. Applying a bit of silicone around the wire after the wired connections are cleaned and reconnected can't hurt either. If necessary, do not put the connected wires back into the holder, but rather tape them up higher leaving a drip loop below.

White vinegar is effective for cleaning and neutralizing the corrosion, brushing as necessary. Rinse with water after cleaning. I recommend Corrosion Block or Bioshield T9 to prevent future corrosion. They are used in the marine and aviation industry. I believe you can buy them at West Marine.

Also make sure that the areas around the grommets stay clean. Replace missing grommet covers immediately.

For most people, replacing the antenna is a job for the professional or skilled. It requires patience, skill, a bit of ingenuity, masking tape to protect the paint, use of thin wooden dowel with an angled end or popsicle sticks, a ladder, and the willingness to climb on the back window and stay there until you are done. And remember, the right wire with the red end goes to the left side and the left wire from the antenna goes to the right side. The wires must be rolled into the gap between the rear window gasket and the painted bodywork. I used a thin metal flexible putty knife taped to protect the paintwork. The rear glass must be properly cleaned and primed for the adhesive on the new antenna to bond properly to the glass.

Good luck and success to each of you.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...intenance.html
Old 05-02-2020, 07:20 AM

2006 CDI
Originally Posted by konigstiger
DB is talking about 120. I would suggest you check all connections: 40, 160 (190 if wired for telephone) and the Tele Aid control module located behind the back passenger seat in the trunk. Remove the floor covering A = GPS antenna, B = antenna, C & D = power supply, and E = MOST. If all seem fine then water may be getting into the base 110.
Hello.
I have a 2006 CDI with $187K miles, looks and runs like the day I got her.
My NAV became disoriented a few months ago, and I just ignored it using WAZE when needed.
Just the other day, this message appears everytime I start the car:
(phone icon appears) "SOS Tele Aid malfunction Drive to workshop".
After reading the forum, appears this is not uncommon?
Can I trouble you to send an email (vic07458@gmail) with details to diagnose and remedy this please? Seems most issues point to a corroded splitter?
Many thanks in advance, and stay safe.