E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI owners - C or S mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Baron11
I spoke with SA and he too said C mode should start off in second gear. I count the gear shifts and based on what I come up with is 6 shifts regardless of which mode. I have even tried rolling from a stop, then flooring the pedal, no downshift. Based on what I have seen/felt so far, it starts off in 1st.

Do we know for a fact that the 7speed tranny combined with the bluetec is supposed to start off in second? I know the 5speed cgi is supposed to, but I can't find definitive info on the 7 speed, bluetec combo. Any help is appreciated.

Regard,

Bryan
I have the 772.6 transmission and when in C mode if you manually click the shifter to the left at a stop and hold for about 2 seconds, it will display a "2" in the I/C indicating it is locked in 2nd. If you manually click it again to the left, it will manually downshift into 1st and display a "1" and there is a distinctive jolt in the drivetrain when this happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 GL320 CDI
I will have to take mine in...

I agree that the bluetec could start off in third with no protest from the engine at all. However, based on the information I have gotten here, I think I need to make another trip to the dealer. Mine almost always jolts to a stop, more so when cold, barely noticeable when warm. The jolt could be explained if the tranny is starting off in first all the time. I have had 2 tranny flashes, (updates) done so far. My dealership is very accomodating and I love the car, I will keep everyone updated.

Bryan
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
I agree that the bluetec could start off in third with no protest from the engine at all. However, based on the information I have gotten here, I think I need to make another trip to the dealer. Mine almost always jolts to a stop, more so when cold, barely noticeable when warm. The jolt could be explained if the tranny is starting off in first all the time. I have had 2 tranny flashes, (updates) done so far. My dealership is very accomodating and I love the car, I will keep everyone updated.

Bryan
Please do. Also give us the dealership name too. It's always good to know places that please real world customers.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 GL320 CDI
Mercedes Benz of Fredericksburg, VA

Just thought I would drop the name of the dealership. Thanks.

Bryan
Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2007 Bluetec does the same thing, especially when cold. When driving slowly and then lifting on the accelerator the car slows immediately and almost throws me forward in the seat. It does seem to occur more in S than in C.

I have had the tranny flashed once, but it was more strange shifting upon acceleration when cold. The flash fixed it.

-Sean

Bryan
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
To the original question - "C" I'm cheap!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Smile Torque Convertor Lockup?

I spoke with SA and he too said C mode should start off in second gear. I count the gear shifts and based on what I come up with is 6 shifts regardless of which mode. I have even tried rolling from a stop, then flooring the pedal, no downshift. Based on what I have seen/felt so far, it starts off in 1st.

Do we know for a fact that the 7speed tranny combined with the bluetec is supposed to start off in second? I know the 5speed cgi is supposed to, but I can't find definitive info on the 7 speed, bluetec combo. Any help is appreciated.

Regard,

Bryan

Could it be that the last upshift you are feeling is not really an
upshift at all, but the Torque Convertor (T/C) locking up?
Some people sometimes mistake the T/C engagement as an upshift to a higher
gear when what they are feeling is really is not engaging another gear at all.

Do you have any visual key as to what gear number you are in?

DHG