E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY Spring W211 E350 Sport Install

Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350 sport
DIY Spring W211 E350 Sport Install

Wow

Just finished a H&R spring INSTALL and camber bolts..My body hurts but I wanted to help those out because I didnt see to much info on this..

Start out in front..Suspension strut is connected on the bottom by one bolt..Unscrew it.Open engine should be 3 screws holding strut in.Unscrew..NOw strut is loose but needs to be removed..This is hard part because the control arm needs to be pulled down far enough to release the strut..Its pretty tough to pull down with enough resistance so I actually used the factory mercedes jack and put it between the top of the mercedes frame and the suspension arm..As I expanded the jack it pushed down on the suspension arm enough to release the strut..It works but be care full to position the jack in a good place so it doesnt damage the frame...Works great just be carefull..Once you pull out the strut, compress the spring with a spring compressor....Pepboys has one 40 bucks buy it use it return it..we win...Once the spring was compressed enough in the strut I faced the hard part..Removing the top bolt of the strut was pretty difficult..You need a long socket set because the bolt that needs to be unscrewed has an inch rod sticking out from it that is connected to strut..that rod needs to be stabilized while you unscrew the bolt..I didnt have a special socket for this so I made the nessassary adjustments..If you look at the strut in the middle of the spring there is a rubber cover that is covering a metal rod..This metal rod is what needs to be stable..So I used a strong good pair of plyers to hold this(really good grip) while I unscrewed the top bolt..Worked great..Im a genius..The top comes right off and yur set..Pretty ghetto but whatever gets job dones..Just follow same steps backwards to put them back on.Camber bolts require a special socket wrench..Once under the car you will see the factory bolt is a weird one..I went to pepboys and picked up a set.This screw I just unscrewed and replaced..The back suspension is really easy so I wont post..

Good Luck hope this helps
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM

lets see pics?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 PM

07 E350 sport
I will asap..just waiting for springs to settle....I had an additional question...I put my stock back springs back in but left the H & R lowering springs in the front in because the back was rubbing crazy...anyways is having stocks in back and h&rs in the front going to cause any problems throwing off my cars balance or etc..It looks ok becuase i have the e350 sport so the gap isnt bad at all..Just makn sure Im fine..
Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM

07 E350 sport
Update...I actually went to get my alignment today and noticed that the camber bolts that I installed where actually to adjust the caster..The correct bolt was hidden behind some plastic coverings..So what I did was just buy some other camber bolts and install them..Make sure you dont make the same mistake save you 40 bucks...The dealer says youll need 4 of these bolts but actually you can just use 2...My camber is sitting at -2 in the front I need to go back tom to get alignment finished
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
I would recommend against following these directions------

Grabbing the strut rod with a pair of pliers scratched the highly polished finish. Now when the strut compresses during driving those scratches tear the strut seal. Now you need a new shock....

The special tool required to pull of the top nut is called a "WRENCH"........

The arm also drops down very easy when suspension is disassembled correctly.....
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
MB211,

Do you have the correct disassemble procedure for the front suspension? I am just curious as I will be tackling a similar project. Also if the shock shaft turns as you are trying to get the top nut off of the strut what do you use to hold the shock shaft? I have not personally looked at the strut yet but is there a second nut to use a wrench to hold the shaft as you use an impact to take off the top nut?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM

07 E350 sport
Uhh buddy I think yur trippnnnnnnnnnn

I gripped the strut near the very top in the middle of the spring...First off the rod never spun so I actually didnt put any scratches on it..Second I actually gripped the rod with the plyers over the rubber covering..Which protected it more..Third if my strut was to compress that much to have the bottom reach all the way to the top well then pigs fly...Spring has way to much compression and is not humanly possible.....4th if you have the strut out of the car with the top bold exposed youll notice that cranking the nut will also rotate the center rod..I have an 07 e350 sport....

Bahador = +4

Goober Yes U = 0
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
any pics of the ride?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM

2005 E320 CDI
The appropriate tool for Coil Spring over Strut disassembly is a pneumatic impact gun. This will rotate the nut off and back on the shaft of the strut without simultaneously rotating the shaft.

The best way to move the suspension arm down enough to remove the Strut/Spring assembly is to disconnect either the upper ball joint from the spindle housing. This will allow the suspension assembly to drop down enough to pull out the Strut and Spring. The jack idea not only puts undue stress on the suspension bushings, it's also dangerous.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM

08 W211 E350 Sport Pkg. AMG Kits, Sienna Black Paint/Designo Tan Leather Pkg/Pano, Navi, Miro M.BLk
Question

Man...I'm going to tackles the same problems here in a few week. I know how to take the shock out but what I don't understand is why do you need to replace this bolt?

(((( The correct bolt was hidden behind some plastic coverings..So what I did was just buy some other camber bolts and install them. )))) <--- what's this bolt look like and where can I buy it, and why do I have to install this bolt?
I have a 2008 W211 E350 Sport.

I'm going to install a set of Eibach Springs to my car, I guess I will just take the front shock out and have Midas or Pepboys take the spring out, and install the Eibach springs in for me.

You mention is easy to do the back, how do you do it?
Man, if there were step by step on how to do this would be great!

Oh well, I guess I'm too cheap to have it done at the shop. Any help would be great...
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM

W211 E350 Sport
ttt