third time rotors have warped????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
third time rotors have warped????

My rotors have warped for the THIRD time on our E350. The first time it occured at 8,000 miles, second around 18,000 miles, now at 30,000 miles. I have NEVER had this problem on any other car, and I don't drive this car differently than any of our other cars.

The car "pulses" as it's coming to a stop. Which means the REAR rotors are warped. The first two times, the steering wheel would also shake at freeway speeds when the brakes were applied, which means the fronts were also warped.

The first time, the dealer/warranty covered it. The second time, the dealer covered only half (only because we've serviced our cars there for almost 20 years). Now, the third time, I know they won't cover any of it. The second time it happened, they also replaced the SBC control unit.

Has ANYONE else had this problem?? I find it absolutely ridiculous!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Actually, your rotors are probably not warped. I've driven many, many high speed miles followed by hard stops (retired state trooper), and never warped a rotor. About the only way to do it is to make a very hard stop and then keep the brakes applied.

According to Carroll Smith, a highly respected engineering authority, "warped rotors" are a myth. Read about it here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BobbyT
Actually, your rotors are probably not warped. I've driven many, many high speed miles followed by hard stops (retired state trooper), and never warped a rotor. About the only way to do it is to make a very hard stop and then keep the brakes applied.

According to Carroll Smith, a highly respected engineering authority, "warped rotors" are a myth. Read about it here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#
I disagree. There are two most common causes of warped motors (in my opinion and experience)

1. Subjecting very very hot rotors to immediate and sustained cooling as in a car wash or use of a hose; you should see steam coming off them.

2. A much more common cause: over tightening of lug nuts. It is so easy to warp brand new rotors this way. Tire shops rarely take precautions. I use a good quality Torque Wrench.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Usually the problem is caused by the driver. Riding the brakes and overheating them is a probable cause. This is not a common problem on the W211. I did have a problem years ago on a W163 ML500 where two rotors were out a couple of thousanths at installation. they were defective and changed by the dealer at no charge. Examine your driving habits, make an effort not to ride the brakes or drive with 2 feet.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Our fronts were warped by 20K miles and I replaced them myself.

Now at 40K miles all is well.

I subscribe to the "avoid cold water car wash" theory, which to me means wash your car yourself and not at a car wash and only wash it after it's sat for a while so the rotors can cool off.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 AM

Mercedes
problem is

[QUOTE=akbro93704;3296272]My rotors have warped for the THIRD time on our E350. The first time it occured at 8,000 miles, second around 18,000 miles, now at 30,000 miles. I have NEVER had this problem on any other car, and I don't drive this car differently than any of our other cars.

The car "pulses" as it's coming to a stop. Which means the REAR rotors are warped. The first two times, the steering wheel would also shake at freeway speeds when the brakes were applied, which means the fronts were also warped.

If you are feeling this vibrations when you come to a stop, the problem is the rotors when installed, where overtorqued, or not torqued evenly..
this is a common problem with some mechanics who either use a poor impact tool, or dont use the factory specs and tighten the crap out of them thinking tighter is better. they are probably just not evenly tightened.. and need to be adjusted..
usually a senior brake tech at a MB dealer should do it right..
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
If you are feeling this vibrations when you come to a stop, the problem is the rotors when installed, where overtorqued, or not torqued evenly..
this is a common problem with some mechanics who either use a poor impact tool, or dont use the factory specs and tighten the crap out of them thinking tighter is better. they are probably just not evenly tightened.. and need to be adjusted..
usually a senior brake tech at a MB dealer should do it right..[/quote]

Yeah I agree, probably mal aligned bolts on install or overtight when installed,common mistake
Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM

2005 e500 amg pkg
Will the oem rotors and calipars from a 07/08 e350 sport work on my 05 E500 amg pkg?
The 07/08 rotors on the E350 are drilled,I like the look.It seems like the calipars are bigger
though.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
Your concern may also be due to the torque strut bushings. Try installing the updated "solid" bushings. Helps cure a vibration or twitch when stopping at low speeds....