Is this the beginning of a tire bubble?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Is this the beginning of a tire bubble?

I noticed this today when checking air pressures, it looks like a bubble is beginning to form. I'm so sick of these roads in NJ, they are so bad. Last time I was in for service they told me that the two front rims are bent, but not bad enough that they need to be replaced. This is a front driver's side tire, car has about 12,xxx miles on it. I don't have to replace both tires do I?

Also since yesterday the allignment is completely off. When the steering wheel is dead center, car goes to the right. To go straight the wheel has to be to the left about 15 degrees.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Yep its not just beginning its there. Get it off of your car ASAP before it creates a major problem. And, yes unless the tire is very near new it should be replaced with its mate on the other wheel opposite. As far as the rims being bent, if they are bent in the least bit the car will not ride or handle as designed. Your insurance may cover the rim replacement.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Yep, that's an abscess. Time to pop it.

PMB, those OEM tires are the pits. Mine came with the crappy Contis (I see you're on the Italian version.)

The roads here in LA are equally as bad (I think pretty much in the whole USA as the infrastructure is falling apart everywhere.)

I recommend changing all 4 out to a better tire. I immediately switched to Michelin PS2 (I was able to sell the OEMs for a fair price since they had only 30 miles on them.) A tire with a stiffer and better made sidewall helps a lot (and in handling, too, that's for certain.)
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I would definately love to replace all the tires with something good, but I'm getting rid of the car this summer so I do not want to waste money on it. I guess if I have to get 2 I will, but I really would rather just get one. Blah, these wheels and tires have a been a giant pain in the ***. They look good but certainly aren't practical.

I like my 16" wheels on my C-Class! I won't be driving the E to work tomorrow, don't want to be on the highway with a potential blow out waiting to happen.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sosh
Yep its not just beginning its there. Get it off of your car ASAP before it creates a major problem. And, yes unless the tire is very near new it should be replaced with its mate on the other wheel opposite. As far as the rims being bent, if they are bent in the least bit the car will not ride or handle as designed. Your insurance may cover the rim replacement.
I think I'm going to leave the rims alone as I haven't noticed any vibration. The service advisor even said that they were fine, not bent enough to cause air to leak or compromise safety. I trust this advice because I would expect them to try to sell you anything they can in this economy, and at $900 each these AMG rims would probably make them some nice quick profit.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
What are the long term major problems tire bubbles cause? Just curious. I didn't even know what a tire bubble was until about 6 months ago.

Originally Posted by sosh
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
A bubble means that you are at a higher risk of a blowout and tread separation. Occasionally, this can kill you. It's not too likely, but possible.